BC/BU OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many alternates can you expect to open up? Is it a matter of chance or are people with better numbers more likely to have an alternate -> preselect?


At BC they said the firms rank the alternates so presumably the people with higher numbers would be at the top of the list. Though if people in the top 20% are only getting a handful of interviews I'm not holding my breath that many alternate spots will open up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:08 pm

19 at BC - Top 10%, LR.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:12 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many alternates can you expect to open up? Is it a matter of chance or are people with better numbers more likely to have an alternate -> preselect?


At BC they said the firms rank the alternates so presumably the people with higher numbers would be at the top of the list. Though if people in the top 20% are only getting a handful of interviews I'm not holding my breath that many alternate spots will open up.



I wouldn't count on alternates opening up too much. Because OCI is over three days, everyone can probably fit all of the interviews in without issue - and therefore, won't decline any. Also, because the interviews are on campus, they're relatively hassle-free and there would be unlikely cancellations. I know for the NYC OCI I came off the alternate list for 4 firms, but I'm assuming that's because some people got more than 10 and couldn't fit them all in their schedule so had to decline a few, or people may have only gotten 1 or 2 interviews total, and decided the trip to NYC wasn't worth it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Median (3.3) no journal at BU. 5 preselects and two alternates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many alternates can you expect to open up? Is it a matter of chance or are people with better numbers more likely to have an alternate -> preselect?


At BC they said the firms rank the alternates so presumably the people with higher numbers would be at the top of the list. Though if people in the top 20% are only getting a handful of interviews I'm not holding my breath that many alternate spots will open up.



I wouldn't count on alternates opening up too much. Because OCI is over three days, everyone can probably fit all of the interviews in without issue - and therefore, won't decline any. Also, because the interviews are on campus, they're relatively hassle-free and there would be unlikely cancellations. I know for the NYC OCI I came off the alternate list for 4 firms, but I'm assuming that's because some people got more than 10 and couldn't fit them all in their schedule so had to decline a few, or people may have only gotten 1 or 2 interviews total, and decided the trip to NYC wasn't worth it.


The firms that allowed 3Ls to bid might have spots open up. 3Ls had to bid before they found out about offers. As offers start to roll in from 2L SA, they may drop interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Did a rough count just now but I think I got 27 at BC

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did a rough count just now but I think I got 27 at BC


Stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did a rough count just now but I think I got 27 at BC


Stats?


Top 10% and LR.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:31 pm

To the 27 at BC - stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the 27 at BC - stats?


It's in the post above yours.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Wasn't there a limit on how many interviews you can do at BC? I could be wrong, but I thought it was 25, so maybe a couple alternates will turn into preselects just because of a handful of ppl getting more than 25.

Anyone else kind of surprised by the mix of firms they got? I missed the boat on some i thought i would be a shoe-in for and landed some i thought i wouldn't (because they said they want strong ties, which i don't have).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else kind of surprised by the mix of firms they got? I missed the boat on some i thought i would be a shoe-in for and landed some i thought i wouldn't (because they said they want strong ties, which i don't have).


I have strong Boston ties, but I had a couple head scratchers. Of the ones I was turned down on (Bingham, Latham, and Jones Day), I expressed interests in their NY offices. Even though I have strong Boston ties, theyre not apparent on my resume, and this might have scared them off a bit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:just curious, how many preselects are the BU people getting?


I got 11 preselects, 1 alternate, after making 17 bids. Top 10% + Law Review. My "no invites" tended to come from firms that I guess engage in yield protection. I also got a number of rejections from firms in a competitive geographical market that is not friendly to hiring from BU (even though those firms were saying they were interviewing for that market and I'm from that market).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just curious, how many preselects are the BU people getting?


I got 11 preselects, 1 alternate, after making 17 bids. Top 10% + Law Review. My "no invites" tended to come from firms that I guess engage in yield protection. I also got a number of rejections from firms in a competitive geographical market that is not friendly to hiring from BU (even though those firms were saying they were interviewing for that market and I'm from that market).


Why did you bid on only 17 firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just curious, how many preselects are the BU people getting?


I got 11 preselects, 1 alternate, after making 17 bids. Top 10% + Law Review. My "no invites" tended to come from firms that I guess engage in yield protection. I also got a number of rejections from firms in a competitive geographical market that is not friendly to hiring from BU (even though those firms were saying they were interviewing for that market and I'm from that market).


Why did you bid on only 17 firms?


I was wondering the same thing. I got 19 preselects, 5 alternates just missing top 10% and LR.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:44 am

Didnt get a preselect at one of the firms in Boston that I really liked (with a small summer class size).

Is there an appropriate way to follow up with the firm outside of OCI?

Just outside top 10%, law review


Also, what is Weil's specialty in their boston office?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also, what is Weil's specialty in their boston office?

PE

HWS08
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby HWS08 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:58 am

Is anyone else having trouble getting on Symplicity? It's running super slow for me, I can't even get on to the sign-in page, I've been waiting for it to load for a couple minutes now.

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby bostonlawchick » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:04 pm

HWS08 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble getting on Symplicity? It's running super slow for me, I can't even get on to the sign-in page, I've been waiting for it to load for a couple minutes now.


I had no problems just now.

HWS08
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby HWS08 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:09 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
HWS08 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble getting on Symplicity? It's running super slow for me, I can't even get on to the sign-in page, I've been waiting for it to load for a couple minutes now.


I had no problems just now.


Never mind, I managed to get on. I think it took longer because I didn't sign out last time or something.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just curious, how many preselects are the BU people getting?


I got 11 preselects, 1 alternate, after making 17 bids. Top 10% + Law Review. My "no invites" tended to come from firms that I guess engage in yield protection. I also got a number of rejections from firms in a competitive geographical market that is not friendly to hiring from BU (even though those firms were saying they were interviewing for that market and I'm from that market).


Why did you bid on only 17 firms?


Because I wasn't really interested in the other firms. I've sent out another 30-odd applications on my own to the market I'm interested in.

Btw, I also got rejected by Bingham and Jones Day, and that perplexed me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:27 am

Can anyone at BU confirm whether or not the lottery has already run? I thought the preselects were not lottery picks (I thought that stage would happen later), but a friend seems to have heard otherwise. Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone at BU confirm whether or not the lottery has already run? I thought the preselects were not lottery picks (I thought that stage would happen later), but a friend seems to have heard otherwise. Thanks.


I'm not sure, but seeing as we get to sign up starting at noon today, I would bet that the selections that we can see now include the lottery.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone at BU confirm whether or not the lottery has already run? I thought the preselects were not lottery picks (I thought that stage would happen later), but a friend seems to have heard otherwise. Thanks.


I'm not sure, but seeing as we get to sign up starting at noon today, I would bet that the selections that we can see now include the lottery.


True but there is also something on Symplicity called "lottery sign up." I also did not receive invites from my third, fourth, and fifth choices even though they weren't super popular or selective, making me think the lottery hasn't run.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone at BU confirm whether or not the lottery has already run? I thought the preselects were not lottery picks (I thought that stage would happen later), but a friend seems to have heard otherwise. Thanks.


I'm not sure, but seeing as we get to sign up starting at noon today, I would bet that the selections that we can see now include the lottery.


True but there is also something on Symplicity called "lottery sign up." I also did not receive invites from my third, fourth, and fifth choices even though they weren't super popular or selective, making me think the lottery hasn't run.


No idea either!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.