BC/BU OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: BC/BU OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone from BU received an alternate spot for a large Boston firm? I had quite a few alternates and have luckily received one non-Boston firm spot from them so far. Hoping they are moving slowly

I have 9 alternates and I have not received any yet :( . I bet most of these interviews must come from people who recently decided to transfer. I doubt many BU kids are turning down interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone from BU received an alternate spot for a large Boston firm? I had quite a few alternates and have luckily received one non-Boston firm spot from them so far. Hoping they are moving slowly
I'm the earlier anon regarding getting an alternate. Mine was non-Boston as well (maybe the same one!).

I share in your hope, since I have quite a few alternates still out there and for some firms I'm really interested in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I have 9 alternates and I have not received any yet :( . I bet most of these interviews must come from people who recently decided to transfer. I doubt many BU kids are turning down interviews.
I'm sorry. I think they only started going out this afternoon, so there is still a chance. I'd guess some are transfers, but some might not be able to fit the firms in when they are here (too many in one day or the only times left are too close together).

I think with 9 alternates, there is a good chance of having one or two pan out. I hope so, at least!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:00 am

Does anyone know if there are hospitality suites for BU? I've heard of them for other schools (mostly on TLS), but nobody mentions them at BU. If there are, how do they work?

*sorry if this is a stupid question

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:31 pm

Any alternates?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any alternates?
none yet for me today (i have around 10 outstanding)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any alternates?
none yet for me today (i have around 10 outstanding)
At BU, there is the one above and I have a friend who got an alternate for one of the largest firms (RG/WH) as well as a mid-sized NE firm today.

Still hoping... but hope is dwindling. There are just a couple of firms that I would really love to interview with that I'm an alternate for right now!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:52 pm

Did anyone get IRS Office of Chief Counsel? If so, mind sharing stats? I applied and did not (so I signed up for the informational interviews at least). I have relevant experience, but I'm guessing my grades are too low for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if there are hospitality suites for BU? I've heard of them for other schools (mostly on TLS), but nobody mentions them at BU. If there are, how do they work?

Last year, Cooley had a hospitality suite, and I'm not sure which other firms did. There was a mini, informal pre-interview thing for Ropes (basically the head recruiting director was there to greet you, and it was an informal conversation). There was also a secretary there to greet you for Latham. But this year may be different, because we interviewed on campus (at least at BU) last year.

Also, just as a heads up, if you make callbacks, there are often receptions or even dinners for some of the firms like Ropes, Choate, and Wilmer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if there are hospitality suites for BU? I've heard of them for other schools (mostly on TLS), but nobody mentions them at BU. If there are, how do they work?

Last year, Cooley had a hospitality suite, and I'm not sure which other firms did. There was a mini, informal pre-interview thing for Ropes (basically the head recruiting director was there to greet you, and it was an informal conversation). There was also a secretary there to greet you for Latham. But this year may be different, because we interviewed on campus (at least at BU) last year.

Also, just as a heads up, if you make callbacks, there are often receptions or even dinners for some of the firms like Ropes, Choate, and Wilmer.
Thanks for the reply! So do you go to hospitality suites only if you have an interview?

True, I'm not sure if it will be different at the DoubleTree.

Thanks for the heads up - helpful for planning purposes!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 pm

Does anyone know when the BLG is going to come out? Everything I have says on or around July 31st, but I was wondering if anyone knew more specifically.

I have NYC off campus ones, so I'm trying to figure out if I have any BLG for travel times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the reply! So do you go to hospitality suites only if you have an interview?

Last year, they encouraged everyone, regardless of whether there was an interview scheduled, to attend the hospitality suite, and they even sent out emails encouraging people to go. At least Cooley had a continental breakfast with bagels, croissants, and stuff, and I think they may have been worried about having too much food (and they said they were offering it, since students might forget to eat given the stress of interviews). But you'll have to be ready to make small chat with the recruiters while you are there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Last year, they encouraged everyone, regardless of whether there was an interview scheduled, to attend the hospitality suite, and they even sent out emails encouraging people to go. At least Cooley had a continental breakfast with bagels, croissants, and stuff, and I think they may have been worried about having too much food (and they said they were offering it, since students might forget to eat given the stress of interviews). But you'll have to be ready to make small chat with the recruiters while you are there.

Thanks! I'm more than happy to chat with them, so hopefully they send those emails again this year!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when the BLG is going to come out? Everything I have says on or around July 31st, but I was wondering if anyone knew more specifically.

I have NYC off campus ones, so I'm trying to figure out if I have any BLG for travel times.
I just received an email and have a lot of interviews, especially with firms that I am an alternate for or was not invited for through OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Anyone get alternates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get alternates?
None for me yet today, still have around 10 out there

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Same here

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:33 pm

At least at BC, you're not going to get alternates on campus. A decent amount of spots will open up in the NY program (because a lot of people in the top 10% get 15+ interviews and can't go to them all), but on campus, it lasts a few days and if you get 30+ screeners, you can get them all in. I don't know how it works at BU, but if it's spread across a few days like ours, don't expect many alternates to open up.

I got a screener last year by mass mailing someone that had selected me as an alternate when I realized it wasn't going to open up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:42 pm

At BU there is usually quite a bit of alternate action but it seems slower this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get alternates?
None for me yet today, still have around 10 out there
BU here

Same. I have heard of movement from classmates, though. There may also be some movement tomorrow, because the CDO sent an email suggesting that if people received an interview with the same firm through BLG and BU OCI, they take the BLG interview (because it is earlier). If people follow that advice, there may be some movement. I don't know how many people get duplicate interviews between those, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:50 am

any alternates today? I still have 9 outstanding.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Same here....nothing yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Any movement at all on alternates today? I'm starting to think I've received what I'm going to get at this point

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement at all on alternates today? I'm starting to think I've received what I'm going to get at this point
BU

agreed - I have 9 outstanding as well. It sounds like most people have 8-10 alternates outstanding right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:34 pm

From BLG Fair, received Goodwin ding by email.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”