BC/BU OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

BC/BU OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:07 am

I figure we're all going to be interviewing for the same firms, participating in the same off campus programs, etc. so we could create one thread to discuss bids, markets, firms, etc.

Does anyone in know which firms other than R&G, GP, and WH have larger class sizes? It seems most classes last year had class sizes of 1-4 SA

Anonymous User

Re: BC/BU OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:59 am

Based on NALP, it appears Choate has the next biggest class size but still much smaller than R&G, GP, and WH.

Anybody know GPA cutoffs for the big Boston firms. What GPA do you have to have so that it is not a wasted bid?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:45 pm

If anyone goes to BU Law, you can see some of the requirements by clicking around on Symplicity. Some say they seek out certain GPA's, which probably gives you some sense of which firms value grades.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone goes to BU Law, you can see some of the requirements by clicking around on Symplicity. Some say they seek out certain GPA's, which probably gives you some sense of which firms value grades.
Seriously, ignore the "required" grades, etc. I guess it could give you an idea, but many that say "Top 10% required" regularly dip well below that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:28 pm

BUMP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BUMP
DC Off-Campus preselects are going to be posted tomorrow it looks like, if anyone else applied there. Hoping to get 3-4 down there.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Anyone at BC know when we can expect lottery/preselect slots to come out? Not that I'm going to get any, just want to know when I can stop checking Symplicity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:53 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Anyone at BC know when we can expect lottery/preselect slots to come out? Not that I'm going to get any, just want to know when I can stop checking Symplicity.
The NY selections came out Friday, and DC is tomorrow. So I'm guessing the on campus stuff should be out before the end of the week

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:Anyone at BC know when we can expect lottery/preselect slots to come out? Not that I'm going to get any, just want to know when I can stop checking Symplicity.
The NY selections came out Friday, and DC is tomorrow. So I'm guessing the on campus stuff should be out before the end of the week
Awesome. Really, my week was already going to be shitty, might as well get it over with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

New

Post by 4444 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:18 am

Last edited by 4444 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New

Post by 4444 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 pm

Also - Does anyone know the likelihood of alternates opening up? Should you accept pre-selects on the assumption that you won't get any alternates and fill up your schedule, or leave some room in case you come off the waitlist?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:40 pm

Did anyone do off campus in DC get a Sidley Austin interview? I'm not sure if I was denied or if they just had not gotten up preselects yet.

Seffer15

New

Post by Seffer15 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 pm

Sidley Austin will say "not invited" until they get their selections in. Then we'll get an email that the info is available

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Seffer15 wrote:Sidley Austin will say "not invited" until they get their selections in. Then we'll get an email that the info is available
Great. That's the DC firm that I really wanted

ExcitedBlutterance

Bronze

Post by ExcitedBlutterance » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:37 pm

4444 wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Awesome. Really, my week was already going to be shitty, might as well get it over with.
I think an email from OCS said Wednesday...but I also know that for NYC they sent an e-mail right when the results were posted, so there's probably no need to continue to check symplicity?
This.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:07 am

Can we share information about what we know anecdotally (or through experience) about some of the large firms in Boston?
Ropes, Wilmer, Goodwin, Bingham, Choate, foley hoag, Mintz Levin, Goulston and Storrs, Nutter, Brown Rudnick, Nixon Peabody, etc.

and maybe some of the other larger firms with decent size offices, Latham, Weil, Skadden, Jones Day?

Are the firms with the largest class sizes (Ropes, Wilmer) more selective than some of the firms with smalll classes (Foley, Goulston)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can we share information about what we know anecdotally (or through experience) about some of the large firms in Boston?
Ropes, Wilmer, Goodwin, Bingham, Choate, Foley Hoag, Mintz Levin, Goulston and Storrs, Nutter, Brown Rudnick, Nixon Peabody, etc.

and maybe some of the other larger firms with decent size offices, Latham, Weil, Skadden, Jones Day?

Are the firms with the largest class sizes (Ropes, Wilmer) more selective than some of the firms with smalll classes (Foley, Goulston)?
"Selectivity" is hard to say. Veril Dana is probably taking 1 SA in Boston this year, so it's probably harder to get a job there than Ropes. Class sizes really muddles up selectivity.

That said, Ropes seems to be all about grades. They also seem to have a pretty relaxed culture so, I'm sure that comes into play as well. Wilmer seems to take top 10% and LR but it seems that they also want something more. Some kind of great WE, really interesting background, etc. Goodwin seems to be like Ropes and be mostly numbers from what I've heard.

foley hoag tends to like top grades and journals from what I've gathered. It's probably about as selective as Choate, but Choate is kid of a black box of a firm. Numbers will certainly help, but someone described their recruiting method as "we know it when we see it."

I don't know about some of the V10 with Boston offices. Latham is brand new in Boston and so it's probably tough to gauge. I think Skadden ad Weil are both considered pretty elite firms in Boston and so they're both pretty picky with grades.

Just my opinion, but there's the big 3 in Boston (WH, RG, and Goodwin), then another band of Choate, FH, Bingham, and Skadden, and then after that, most of the firms are pretty similar in terms of "prestige" and selectivity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:53 am

On the topic of Choate, I met with an associate there a few weeks ago to do a resume review and he definitely affirmed the "fit" focused attitude. I'd say if you have less than tippy-top grades but really think you can kill the interview they may be a good firm to look at.

As to Ropes, they're a bit of a double-edged sword. On the one hand they have huge SA classes and have a lot of BU alums working there. However they're also openly more grade-conscious and big name in-and-of-themselves.

My 2 cents, if you're in top 20% at BU/BC and you either A) have LR or B) can interview really well, I think you've got a shot at almost any Boston firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:06 am

Is there any logic to scheduling the on-campus interviews (assuming I get some)? I'm generally more of a morning person, but I'm thinking of going for mid-morning slots so that I won't be as rushed when I wake up and risk being late or looking less put together than I otherwise might. Is there any general wisdom on whether it's better to go for morning vs. afternoon times, or is it so dependent on the interviewer that it's more like a crap shoot?

ExcitedBlutterance

Bronze

Post by ExcitedBlutterance » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any logic to scheduling the on-campus interviews (assuming I get some)? I'm generally more of a morning person, but I'm thinking of going for mid-morning slots so that I won't be as rushed when I wake up and risk being late or looking less put together than I otherwise might. Is there any general wisdom on whether it's better to go for morning vs. afternoon times, or is it so dependent on the interviewer that it's more like a crap shoot?
Later interviews have a better chance of not starting on time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:21 pm

ExcitedBlutterance wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there any logic to scheduling the on-campus interviews (assuming I get some)? I'm generally more of a morning person, but I'm thinking of going for mid-morning slots so that I won't be as rushed when I wake up and risk being late or looking less put together than I otherwise might. Is there any general wisdom on whether it's better to go for morning vs. afternoon times, or is it so dependent on the interviewer that it's more like a crap shoot?
Later interviews have a better chance of not starting on time.
FWIW, also heard that later in the day makes it harder to stand out as a candidate. I'd say morning is probably > afternoon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can we share information about what we know anecdotally (or through experience) about some of the large firms in Boston?
Ropes, Wilmer, Goodwin, Bingham, Choate, Foley Hoag, Mintz Levin, Goulston and Storrs, Nutter, Brown Rudnick, Nixon Peabody, etc.

"Selectivity" is hard to say. Veril Dana is probably taking 1 SA in Boston this year, so it's probably harder to get a job there than Ropes. Class sizes really muddles up selectivity.

That said, Ropes seems to be all about grades. They also seem to have a pretty relaxed culture so, I'm sure that comes into play as well. Wilmer seems to take top 10% and LR but it seems that they also want something more. Some kind of great WE, really interesting background, etc. Goodwin seems to be like Ropes and be mostly numbers from what I've heard.

Foley Hoag tends to like top grades and journals from what I've gathered. It's probably about as selective as Choate, but Choate is kid of a black box of a firm. Numbers will certainly help, but someone described their recruiting method as "we know it when we see it."

I don't know about some of the V10 with Boston offices. Latham is brand new in Boston and so it's probably tough to gauge. I think Skadden ad Weil are both considered pretty elite firms in Boston and so they're both pretty picky with grades.

Just my opinion, but there's the big 3 in Boston (WH, RG, and Goodwin), then another band of Choate, FH, Bingham, and Skadden, and then after that, most of the firms are pretty similar in terms of "prestige" and selectivity.
This is pretty much spot on. Caveat that Weil Boston only does 1 thing really, but does it really well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:09 am

Any word on when BC's preselects will be out? (on-campus)

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:18 am

Why all the anon abuse in this thread? :?

Read your email:
I know that you are all patiently waiting for the preselects for OCI. I am currently working on it and hope to have it up by this weekend.

Thank you.

Leslie

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:22 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Foley Hoag tends to like top grades and journals from what I've gathered. It's probably about as selective as Choate, but Choate is kid of a black box of a firm. Numbers will certainly help, but someone described their recruiting method as "we know it when we see it."

This is pretty much spot on. Caveat that Weil Boston only does 1 thing really, but does it really well.
I assume bankruptcy just based on their NY office?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”