BC/BU OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: BC/BU OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A good way to compare Ropes to other firms is that they, at least, have their New Alternatives Program (NAP). They pay you to explore for a year.

You get a $60k stipend to go do WHATEVER you want for one year instead of returning immediately after graduation (e.g., get an MPH or a Tax LLM, go work in Legal Aid, go clerk, or go non-profit). With this, they don't have to no-offer or rescind full-time offers, instead they just tell you to delay returning for a year and hope the economy gets better before you return.

I would rather go to a firm that gives me an opportunity, than to one that will just rescind my offer when times get tough.
If you have an offer at Ropes, you likely have one of GP/WH who haven't deferred/mass no offered (GP did when things tanked). Ropes is only hurting because their strongest point is their transactional work (PE/M&A) which overall is doing very poorly now. GP/WH are super busy and both gave 3L/post clerks offers mostly because a lot of their Boston business is lit. While Ropes is doing layoffs now, if transaction heats up, they will likely start killing it again.

I'm not saying don't go to Ropes by any means. Its a great firm, but its more bottom-heavy (more associates to partners) than the other two and its bread and butter is not lit., which is doing well right now.
I don't know how you can say Ropes is "bottom heavy." Let's take litigation for example. According to NALP, Ropes has 27 partners and 134 associates, so about a 20% ratio. Wilmer has 27 partners in litigation and 104 associates. That's a 25% ratio. Where does the bottom-heavy aspect come from?

Granted, Ropes has a much, much larger corporate division than Wilmer. Ropes have 75 partners and 184 associates, while Wilmer has 30 partners and 36 associates. But doesn't this just attest that Ropes is much more balanced, assuming corporate doesn't go off a cliff?

I'm also unsure how exactly corporate is doing "poorly" at Ropes. I can understand it being a bit slow, but poorly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A good way to compare Ropes to other firms is that they, at least, have their New Alternatives Program (NAP). They pay you to explore for a year.

You get a $60k stipend to go do WHATEVER you want for one year instead of returning immediately after graduation (e.g., get an MPH or a Tax LLM, go work in Legal Aid, go clerk, or go non-profit). With this, they don't have to no-offer or rescind full-time offers, instead they just tell you to delay returning for a year and hope the economy gets better before you return.

I would rather go to a firm that gives me an opportunity, than to one that will just rescind my offer when times get tough.
If you have an offer at Ropes, you likely have one of GP/WH who haven't deferred/mass no offered (GP did when things tanked). Ropes is only hurting because their strongest point is their transactional work (PE/M&A) which overall is doing very poorly now. GP/WH are super busy and both gave 3L/post clerks offers mostly because a lot of their Boston business is lit. While Ropes is doing layoffs now, if transaction heats up, they will likely start killing it again.

I'm not saying don't go to Ropes by any means. Its a great firm, but its more bottom-heavy (more associates to partners) than the other two and its bread and butter is not lit., which is doing well right now.
I don't know how you can say Ropes is "bottom heavy." Let's take litigation for example. According to NALP, Ropes has 27 partners and 134 associates, so about a 20% ratio. Wilmer has 27 partners in litigation and 104 associates. That's a 25% ratio. Where does the bottom-heavy aspect come from?

Granted, Ropes has a much, much larger corporate division than Wilmer. Ropes have 75 partners and 184 associates, while Wilmer has 30 partners and 36 associates. But doesn't this just attest that Ropes is much more balanced, assuming corporate doesn't go off a cliff?

I'm also unsure how exactly corporate is doing "poorly" at Ropes. I can understand it being a bit slow, but poorly?
Poorly is all relative. Ropes is still the best place in Boston for PE and arguably most transaction work. Read the recession mega-thread - corporate work is just slowing down. It has nothing to do with Ropes as a firm - just the market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:18 am

Which megathread are you referring to? I'm not sure I know about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:46 pm

IMHO that New Alternative Program just sounds like a way to defer people voluntarily. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a cool idea but let's call a spade a spade here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 am

Is anyone else on hold at Goodwin? Haven't heard anything for weeks now since the Super Thursday

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:42 am

(Sigh). This is shaping up to be a quiet week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:(Sigh). This is shaping up to be a quiet week.
Maybe not, know someone with a Goodwin offer yesterday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Got a foley hoag offer yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Any word on Edwards Wildman offers at BU?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on Edwards Wildman offers at BU?
I know of one (not mine).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:let's call a spade a spade here.
A spade that comes with $$, nonetheless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:59 am

Since this thread has been dead for a while... Have people made decisions where they will end up? Where will you go? What were your stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Did they hear this week? Last week? (Do you know when they had a CB?)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did they hear this week? Last week? (Do you know when they had a CB?)
I'm not the above poster, but it seems that Edwards is giving offers on Fridays (based on posts here and from a friend at another Boston school).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:55 am

Does anyone have any info on Mintz--callbacks, offers, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info on Mintz--callbacks, offers, etc.?
I know a few people got offers from Mintz, and some accepted from BU.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info on Mintz--callbacks, offers, etc.?
I know a few people got offers from Mintz, and some accepted from BU.
I know of at least one at BC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Has anyone from BC or BU received a Nelson Mullins offer yet? What about Hinckley Allen (offer or just a callback)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone from BC or BU received a Nelson Mullins offer yet? What about Hinckley Allen (offer or just a callback)?
I never heard ANYTHING from Hinckley post OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Got a Foley Hoag offer yesterday.
When was your CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Got a Foley Hoag offer yesterday.
When was your CB?
CB 9/14

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:31 am

Any word from Nutter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Any word on offers from Sheppard Mullin?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Anyone know of Proskauer boston offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:21 pm

I know of one person with a Proskauer offer, I think this individual found out last week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”