Best 2L extracurricular for admin law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What extracurricular

Secondary Journal
2
29%
Moot Court
2
29%
10 hrs/wk at TX legislature
1
14%
10 hrs/wk at TX attorney general's office
2
29%
 
Total votes: 7

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Best 2L extracurricular for admin law?

Postby lisjjen » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:30 pm

I'm trying figure out what to do as an extracurricular thing for 2L. I want to work in admin law. Obviously, if I get into the big law review that would be the best. Otherwise, I could work on a secondary journal (energy, international, or litigation), do moot court around the country, work 10 hours a week at the TX legislature, or work 10 hours a week at the TX Attorney General's office. Thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best 2L extracurricular for admin law?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:09 pm

None of your choices are related to admin law. Try to get into some Texas agency that actually does administrative law work so you can at least demonstrate an interest on your resume. Obviously you should take TLR if you get it, and you should probably do a secondary journal if you don't, in addition to whatever else you do.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Best 2L extracurricular for admin law?

Postby lisjjen » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:None of your choices are related to admin law. Try to get into some Texas agency that actually does administrative law work so you can at least demonstrate an interest on your resume. Obviously you should take TLR if you get it, and you should probably do a secondary journal if you don't, in addition to whatever else you do.


To be clear, I'm talking about Texas agencies, not federal agencies. At the very least, the Attorney General's Office goes to court on behalf of most of the agencies and the legislature writes all of the agencies' budgets. I was thinking a journal could give me substantive experience in an area and moot court could be useful because administrative stuff involves a ton of different motions and orders you have to go in to the courthouse to file with a judge.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best 2L extracurricular for admin law?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:13 pm

lisjjen wrote:To be clear, I'm talking about Texas agencies, not federal agencies. At the very least, the Attorney General's Office goes to court on behalf of most of the agencies and the legislature writes all of the agencies' budgets. I was thinking a journal could give me substantive experience in an area and moot court could be useful because administrative stuff involves a ton of different motions and orders you have to go in to the courthouse to file with a judge.


Are you talking about specifically working in the administrative law division at the Texas AG? If so, that's the obvious choice. If not, again, try to intern directly with an agency instead. You didn't list an admin law journal (for obvious reasons), but regardless, journal work will only give you "substantive experience" in the sense that you may read an article or two on an area of law while cite checking. Moot court can be a great experience, and you should do it if you are interested, but I don't think your school does an admin law competition to the extent that is your goal. Finally, take admin law early, and consider a directed study in the area with a relevant professor.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Best 2L extracurricular for admin law?

Postby lisjjen » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lisjjen wrote:To be clear, I'm talking about Texas agencies, not federal agencies. At the very least, the Attorney General's Office goes to court on behalf of most of the agencies and the legislature writes all of the agencies' budgets. I was thinking a journal could give me substantive experience in an area and moot court could be useful because administrative stuff involves a ton of different motions and orders you have to go in to the courthouse to file with a judge.


Are you talking about specifically working in the administrative law division at the Texas AG? If so, that's the obvious choice. If not, again, try to intern directly with an agency instead. You didn't list an admin law journal (for obvious reasons), but regardless, journal work will only give you "substantive experience" in the sense that you may read an article or two on an area of law while cite checking. Moot court can be a great experience, and you should do it if you are interested, but I don't think your school does an admin law competition to the extent that is your goal. Finally, take admin law early, and consider a directed study in the area with a relevant professor.


Definitely. I'm taking admin law this fall as well as enhanced business associations (I want to work on the business end of admin law, not the government end). I think I might do moot court just because I love speaking (did speech and debate for 9 years). I just thought working at the AG's office would be a great way to make some contacts. I guess I should just go into my admin law professor's office and ask him.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.