Best litigation firms in Dallas, TX?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best litigation firms in Dallas, TX?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Just wondering what some of the better litigation firms are in Dallas - from big to boutique? Any local firms which are particularly good? I am looking into the Texas market and want to litigate, and am curious to learn from TX natives what firms are considered better, and maybe even what firms to avoid? Any info would be very helpful, thank you!

nonprofit-prophet

Re: Best litigation firms in Dallas, TX?

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering what some of the better litigation firms are in Dallas - from big to boutique? Any local firms which are particularly good? I am looking into the Texas market and want to litigate, and am curious to learn from TX natives what firms are considered better, and maybe even what firms to avoid? Any info would be very helpful, thank you!

I've heard Susman, Mckool Smith, VE and HB are the better lit firms in dallas.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:16 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering what some of the better litigation firms are in Dallas - from big to boutique? Any local firms which are particularly good? I am looking into the Texas market and want to litigate, and am curious to learn from TX natives what firms are considered better, and maybe even what firms to avoid? Any info would be very helpful, thank you!

FJ should be there too

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a good list of mid-big firms in Dallas? I'm leaning more towards transactional than litigation.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a good list of mid-big firms in Dallas? I'm leaning more towards transactional than litigation.

I would guess Martindale.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Based on my experience in Dallas, these are considered the top litigation shops in Dallas:

Susman Godfrey
McKool Smith
Lynn Tillotson
Carrington Coleman
Bickel & Brewer
Rose Walker
Kelly Hart
Hankinson (more appellate)
Sayles Werbner
Carter Stafford (newer firm)
Gruber Hurst
Kane Russell
Baron & Budd (plaintiff)
Waters & Kraus (plaintiff)
Elrod
Stutzman Bromberg
Beirne Maynard

oblitigate

Postby oblitigate » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 am

Shore Chan Bragalone DePumpo LLP

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 am

This thread had a good break down of the big Dallas firms, with a focus on transactional: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=194186&start=25

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Some pretty big omissions: Bickel & Brewer, GDC, Weil, Jones Day, Baker Botts, and F&J.

To give more details:
-Bickel & Brewer and McKool Smith would be the two big-named lit boutiques based in Dallas. Susman has an office there too, but it's pretty small (11 attorneys based there according to their website, compared to 45 in Houston). Bickel & Brewer has a reputation as a sweatshop and a miserable place to work, but I have no clue if that's true or not.
-GDC, Weil, and Jones Day have probably the best reputation of the big national firms with Dallas offices. (Akin Gump should probably be included as well, even though it was originally founded in Dallas, since it's now run out of DC.)
-"The big three" Texas firms (V&E, Baker Botts, F&J) all have Dallas offices, but they're based out of Houston.
-The bigger Texas firms that are based out of Dallas are Haynes Boone, Jackson Walker, and Thompson & Knight. All three Dallas offices have solid reputations for litigation.-ETA: I forgot about Locke Lord. Add them to this group as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:26 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:This thread had a good break down of the big Dallas firms, with a focus on transactional: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=194186&start=25

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Some pretty big omissions: Bickel & Brewer, GDC, Weil, Jones Day, Baker Botts, and F&J.

To give more details:
-Bickel & Brewer and McKool Smith would be the two big-named lit boutiques based in Dallas. Susman has an office there too, but it's pretty small (11 attorneys based there according to their website, compared to 45 in Houston). Bickel & Brewer has a reputation as a sweatshop and a miserable place to work, but I have no clue if that's true or not.
-GDC, Weil, and Jones Day have probably the best reputation of the big national firms with Dallas offices. (Akin Gump should probably be included as well, even though it was originally founded in Dallas, since it's now run out of DC.)
-"The big three" Texas firms (V&E, Baker Botts, F&J) all have Dallas offices, but they're based out of Houston.
-The bigger Texas firms that are based out of Dallas are Haynes Boone, Jackson Walker, and Thompson & Knight. All three Dallas offices have solid reputations for litigation.-ETA: I forgot about Locke Lord. Add them to this group as well.

I would agree but add the following:

Though Akin is indeed a national satellite, it definitely doesn't have the same quality of work or prestige as GDC, Weil or JD.

And I would say that though TK and JW have strong lit groups that HB and LL are a cut above them for quality of work and prestige. Also- it's hard to beat HB in terms of variety- I believe they have 6 separate lit specialty groups.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:22 am

As you can see there are a lot of firms in Dallas to choose from. Don't forget to look across Cowboy stadium to Fort Worth.

I will say this, if you are not from Texas I highly suggest you start getting connections in Texas. We tend to be an exclusive bunch regardless of school.

During my call backs almost everyone that did not go to a Texas law school had a least a connection--high school, undergrad or family.

It's not impossible, but when asked why Texas, especially Dallas (which tends to be a very uppity bunch, but I'm a Houstonian so I'm bias), you are going to need a better answer than "I thought it would be cool to be in Dallas."

Good luck. And don't wear a cowboy hat and boots to your interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's not impossible, but when asked why Texas, especially Dallas (which tends to be a very uppity bunch, but I'm a Houstonian so I'm bias), you are going to need a better answer than "I thought it would be cool to be in Dallas."

There are outliers. I got an offer by saying pretty much the same thing (well with more substantive analysis of why Dallas is cool to be in) but the cb was my first time in Dallas.

Return to “Legal Employment”