LLM Tax: NYU v. Georgetown v. Northwestern Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LLM Tax: NYU v. Georgetown v. Northwestern

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:08 pm

The traditional wisdom on here is that only Georgetown and Florida have programs worth attending for LLM in tax. However, NYU sends students to the same LLM firm interview program as Georgetown, and obviously is considered an overall better law school. Also, I have a hard time imagining that an LLM in tax from Northwestern can't open similar doors to Georgetown and NYU.

Can anyone speak to the distinctions among Georgetown, NYU, and Northwesten LLM tax programs in terms of placement? (either anecdotally or by providing links to actual statistics)

Thanks.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: LLM Tax: NYU v. Georgetown v. Northwestern

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:18 pm

What are you talking about? NYU's is widely considered the best tax LLM program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Have had 3 of the Northwestern Tax LLM professors for classes including the head of the program. They are all absolutely excellent and were 3 of the best professors I had in law school. Can't speak to comparing the programs but I believe NU has a lot of transparency in employment outcomes for the LLM Tax students if you take a look at the website.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Georgetown or NYU. Florida is on par with Georgetown but accepts far fewer students.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The traditional wisdom on here is that only Georgetown and Florida have programs worth attending for LLM in tax. However, NYU sends students to the same LLM firm interview program as Georgetown, and obviously is considered an overall better law school. Also, I have a hard time imagining that an LLM in tax from Northwestern can't open similar doors to Georgetown and NYU.

Can anyone speak to the distinctions among Georgetown, NYU, and Northwesten LLM tax programs in terms of placement? (either anecdotally or by providing links to actual statistics)

Thanks.
You got it backwards. NYU is the only LLM in tax worth doing. Maybe Georgetown. Maybe.

Also, the quality of an LLM has got nothing to do with the rank of the JD program I wouldn't waste money on any Harvard LLM--tax or otherwise--for example.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:09 pm

http://www.linkedin.com/in/natalene

there are opportunities outside biglaw and big 4.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”