Can someone explain GULC's OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Can someone explain GULC's OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Jessuf wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
sambeber wrote:
estopped wrote:When are our EIW callbacks normally? EIW is from 13-17, and school doesn't start until Sept. 4, so will they be before or after school starts?

My understanding is that they can be both before and after classes start, depending on how quickly the particular city tends to move, how quickly the firm moves, and how quickly you book your callbacks.

For most of the V100, firms with large classes and firms at 160, you'll know within two to three days, a week at the latest. For the 10% of stragglers, it could take as long as a month. They all say they take their time so they can sit on certain resumes as yield protection and so people they don't select won't blow up their phones begging while the rejection letters are in the mail.

For clarification: the firms call you within a week, or the callback itself occurs within a week? When do callbacks occur for most of the V100 firms? End of August? Sept?

Most of the callback calls within a week. Most cb interviews in the 3-4 weeks thereafter.

There are exceptions. I went on a callback interview on the last friday of EIW. Also, one firm I had a screener with (but hadn't heard anything from, no cb) emailed me 2 months after EIW strongly hinting that they had a spot for me if I hadn't found a job yet. So, anything can happen.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
sambeber wrote:
Most of the callback calls within a week. Most cb interviews in the 3-4 weeks thereafter.

There are exceptions. I went on a callback interview on the last friday of EIW. Also, one firm I had a screener with (but hadn't heard anything from, no cb) emailed me 2 months after EIW strongly hinting that they had a spot for me if I hadn't found a job yet. So, anything can happen.

The DC and NY firms I knew actually phoned the person within two to three days at the latest and scheduled them from anywhere from the week after to three weeks after.

volsi

Postby volsi » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:18 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
The DC and NY firms I knew actually phoned the person within two to three days at the latest and scheduled them from anywhere from the week after to three weeks after.

+1 on this. I had all my callbacks by the monday after EIW ended. I did them all in two weeks and had recruiting completely done by mid-Sept.

estopped

Postby estopped » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:30 pm

Anybody know about California offices? I checked out last year's OCI thread and it seemed like Cali offices might be slower. Is that true, or were people just saying that and ended up not getting called back at all?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:16 pm

estopped wrote:Anybody know about California offices? I checked out last year's OCI thread and it seemed like Cali offices might be slower. Is that true, or were people just saying that and ended up not getting called back at all?

The latter. They might schedule them later to accommodate recruiter travel, but they notify on the same timeline (generally).

azure55

Postby azure55 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:40 am

Do you typically mail for places you're bidding on before you know your interview schedule? I have stuff ready to mail, but I wasn't sure how best to time it. And is it redundant since your top 20 bids get your resume anyway?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:47 am

For Diversity Resume Collect and Request for Resumes, some of these firms/offices are ones I was planning on mass mailing. If I send my resume to them through this system, should I still mass mail them?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:01 am

Jessuf wrote:For Diversity Resume Collect and Request for Resumes, some of these firms/offices are ones I was planning on mass mailing. If I send my resume to them through this system, should I still mass mail them?

Yes you should. Depending on the firm, resume collect means they get an email with a list of links to resumes or a fat pile of resumes. A standalone email from you will stand out more.

estopped

Postby estopped » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:37 pm

azure55 wrote:Do you typically mail for places you're bidding on before you know your interview schedule? I have stuff ready to mail, but I wasn't sure how best to time it. And is it redundant since your top 20 bids get your resume anyway?

Also curious. Survey says?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:23 pm

estopped wrote:
azure55 wrote:Do you typically mail for places you're bidding on before you know your interview schedule? I have stuff ready to mail, but I wasn't sure how best to time it. And is it redundant since your top 20 bids get your resume anyway?

You mail now. By the time you have your bids, it's too late. Also, I never heard of anyone getting an interview out of the top 20 bids thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:34 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
estopped wrote:

You mail now. By the time you have your bids, it's too late. Also, I never heard of anyone getting an interview out of the top 20 bids thing.

It definitely happens. I got four this way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:30 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
estopped wrote:

The bolded above absolutely happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:14 pm

GULC alum:

I now work at a firm I bid somewhere around 80th. It happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:06 am

Part-time, rising 2E here. Saw DPW and some other firms collecting resumes from 2E (through diversity resume collections) and submitted application through symplicity. Can someone shed some light on the possible time frame of getting a notification in this circumstance? I'm assuming after OCI cycle when/if there are still spots available? thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”