GrayRobinson

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GrayRobinson

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:10 am

Does anyone have any info? Particularly, the Miami office? I can't find their info on NALP but I'm going to be mass-mailing them in a few weeks. Interested in first year salary, firm culture, firm stability, etc.

Ruxin1

Re: GrayRobinson

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info? Particularly, the Miami office? I can't find their info on NALP but I'm going to be mass-mailing them in a few weeks. Interested in first year salary, firm culture, firm stability, etc.

Not NALP but very stable

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:14 am

What about jax office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:16 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info? Particularly, the Miami office? I can't find their info on NALP but I'm going to be mass-mailing them in a few weeks. Interested in first year salary, firm culture, firm stability, etc.

Not NALP but very stable

Im the OP. Thanks. Any info on pay??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Not NALP but very stable

They had a nalp form last year and put 95 on there. That sounds about right for Tampa but I bet they pay more in Miami. I don't know how much though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Not NALP but very stable

They had a nalp form last year and put 95 on there. That sounds about right for Tampa but I bet they pay more in Miami. I don't know how much though.

I would assume they pay market

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:33 am

Can't say I know a lot about the firm, although I do know one if its shareholders. He's doing really, really well and it looks like he is always involved with interesting work. From a distance it looks like a solid company.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:45 am

School and grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:School and grades?

Not OP, but I go to CCN with top third grades and strong ties to FL. I'm guessing that doesn't make me a lock, but won't put me out of the running for any of the offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Not OP, but I go to CCN with top third grades and strong ties to FL. I'm guessing that doesn't make me a lock, but won't put me out of the running for any of the offices?

I'd say pretty close to a lock considering they don't oci at any top schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:51 pm

I interviewed with them this past spring during 1L OCI. FWIW, they told me they haven't been hiring any of their summer associates out of Jax because of budget concerns. I'm not sure if this will have any impact or not, but I know I did not put them on my bidlist again for this fall.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with them this past spring during 1L OCI. FWIW, they told me they haven't been hiring any of their summer associates out of Jax because of budget concerns. I'm not sure if this will have any impact or not, but I know I did not put them on my bidlist again for this fall.

PM me if you would be willing to talk a bit more about this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 pm

bump. interested in the Miami office. i know they've extended full-time offers to their SAs the past 3-4 years. wondering what the salary is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'd say pretty close to a lock considering they don't oci at any top schools.

You would be wrong. There is no such thing as a lock for a Florida firm.

OP, I can't speak for the Miami office, but the GR office I interviewed with was very fratty. I got the vibe that everyone was very social, but the people felt aggressive in a way I can't quite put my finger on. I like the piss-n-vinegar type litigation firms, but GR didn't click with me. GR is also known as a conservative powerhouse firm; recently, it's gotten a little more diverse in terms of political interests, but is still very much a Republican powerhouse in the state.

The office I interviewed at paid nominally less than market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Had an offer here for a 2L spot in the Ft. Lauderdale and Miami offices. Did not accept for the following reasons:

1) Focus on "financial services" law and litigation meant that they were actually processing a large number of the foreclosures in the state for major banks. They would act as local counsel for BoA or Chase and do all the necessary filings and court appearances to finalize foreclosure sales.

2) The firm's offices are very separate and the firm does not act as a large firm, ie sharing resources and work across offices. Ft. Lauderdale has a partner that is big in real estate and reps some big developers in Broward. He is trying to make a go of it but the real estate transactions are just not happening. There is also a partner who kills it in family court, so a bunch of work out of FTL is family stuff. Fun area, just not for me. The Miami office does a bit of contract litigation focusing on real estate and construction, they also have a baller partner that does bankruptcy and secured creditors rights type stuff. Miami also has a smaller venture capital and international angle for latin american investors. But these offices don't share work. To get on the deals coming out of Miami, you need to be down there, and I wanted to live in FTL (cheaper, cleaner, and more family friendly).

3) Pay is really odd at this firm. So they have a billable requirement, something like 1800 hours annually. But, that is collectable hours. Meaning, if the client does not pay on time or at all, your hours do not count; the hours only count if the bills are paid. So, as an associate, you have to keep up with whether your clients have paid. I asked some associates about it and they said it was usually never an issue but some clients do not pay so all those hours are forfeited. That for me was very difficult to accept. I mean, I get it, it's actually a fair business model, but it should not affect associates, it should be on the partners. Partners make 300-500k annually there, on average. My good friend was a partner there for 2 years before going to Foley and he said it was a decent place to make money because you could pull in small clients, but he said the place was very limited in what it could handle in terms of complex work. Base salary is $110k in South Florida offices. Or it was like 2-3 years ago.

Just a tip on getting hired there. Do NOT apply to the general email, apply directly to a partner/alumni and they will get you an interview. Partners have to vouch for you to bring you in. They will mostly interview anyone from the T20 schools with FL ties, but FL ties have to be genuine. They do not pay for CBs, at least they did not for me. And getting an offer means one partner has to accept to take you on and be your mentor. So if you don't connect with a partner on that sort of level, it's not really up to a committee to save you and get you an offer.

The firm is well respected in Florida and it definitely has a conservative bias (which I liked).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Does anyone have any current information on Gray Robinson? In particular SA and 1st year associate pay, climate, etc?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:06 pm

I would steer clear if you have other choices. I was a 2014 graduate and during OCI I was told that they will take large summer classes, but rarely give offers. The firm won't come out and say it's for financial reasons, but rumor has it that is the case. The person who summered there from my law school class was no offered and two I knew from prior years were also no offered. When this news was delivered, there really wasn't a reason why. They just said they couldn't do it and broke the news really late in the year. I was also told my the person in my class who received a scholarship from that firm that she was told not to even apply for the SA spot because they would not be hiring their summers.

As for pay, if they're 95k in Tampa for first years, that's about 30k short of Tampa market. Not bad, but not ideal.

Obviously all of my information (minus pay) isn't verifiable. All of those people could have had work issues and the scholarship person could have been lying, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Go ahead and apply, but I wouldn't solely apply there. Florida can be really tricky. Ties have to be substantial to not just the state, but also the specific city or area. Good luck!

FuturePanhandler

Postby FuturePanhandler » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:06 am

Any idea what 1st year pay in Orlando is?

Return to “Legal Employment”