Resources/Advice for a Clueless Rising 2L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resources/Advice for a Clueless Rising 2L

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:09 am

Hello Everybody,

I was fortunate enough to do well at my lower T-14 this year (better than Top 10%), and am now trying to figure out what the heck I want to with the rest of my life. I am one of the many law students who went to LS without a specific career goal in mind. I also did not know much about the variety of options available for law grads. The problem is, I still don't. I don't know how employers expect rising 2Ls to know what they want to do with the rest of their lives, but whatever. I'm getting nervous as OCI approaches that I'm just going to get stuck in some area and sacrifice a whole lot just because I'm terrible at making decisions and figuring out what I want. Here's what I know:

1. I think I may like to pursue big law, as I have the grades for it. I have no idea if I prefer corporate or lit, as I don't really understand what all that entails, although I enjoy moot court and oral argument (and brief writing to an extent). I've been reading about practice areas like capital markets, private equity, etc., and those sound boring as hell, but maybe I just don't know what people who work in those areas actually do. Working with deals and stuff sounds interesting though...I've found myself just bidding on international firms just because they sound cool, but without any other reason.

2. On the other hand, I've always been attracted to the possibility of working as a DA. Is it at all possible/realistic to do both in one's career? Or are those incompatible? If they can both be done, which should be done first?

3. Don't laugh. I'm also interested in working for the DOJ/CIA...In fact that's really what I wanted to do before coming to law school. I just figured that was a pipe dream and so have never pursued it. Haven't seen much on TLS about this. Anyone have any thoughts/experience? I'd probably sacrifice all the other options for this.

I swear this isn't a flame, and to answer your question, yes someone can get grades in law school while still being completely clueless. And this is anonymous just because I post here occasionally and I don't want my classmates to know I'm an idiot.

Anyway, if some kind soul(s) can point me in the direction of some info, I'd appreciate it greatly!

bdubs

Gold

Re: Resources/Advice for a Clueless Rising 2L

Post by bdubs » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:57 am

Do you know what market you want to work in?

I think the best strategy for someone with good grades and no clue what they want to do is to interview for big firms that are strong across a number of dimensions. In New York I would be looking at basically all of the V10 except Wachtell. In Chicago it would be K&E or Sidley. In DC it would be Covington or WilmerHale (but I would probably opt for NY instead of DC if I didn't know what I wanted to do). LA/SF would probably be Gibson Dunn, Latham, Munger Tolles (LA), MoFo (SF).

Experience at any of those firms could eventually get you in the door at DOJ or as a DA if you played your cards right.

Best resource for someone like you is probably:
http://www.chambers-associate.com/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:24 am

OP here. Thanks so much for the reply bdubs. Very helpful. I'm aiming for NYC, so that all makes sense. So you would recommend pursuing a big firm position above all else? I just want to try to keep doors open for as long as possible.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:43 am

Sounds to me based on your interests you are meant to be a litigator. I'd aim for a career path somewhat along these lines:
1. Summer associate at NYC v10 (split between lit work and corp work to see what's for you)
2. Art III clerkship (If coming out of your clerkship you are set on litigation, then you may want to trade to a DC firm or one what has the type of litigation you want, if you don't like the type of lit your NYC v10 does)
3. Work biglaw 4-6 years
4. Exit to big fed/DA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”