GPA requirements for these firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GPA requirements for these firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:48 pm

MVP. Assuming no LR. What are ballpark GPA requirements for the DC offices at these firms:

Arnold Porter
Axinn Veltrop & Harkrider
Beveridge & Diamond
DLA Piper
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Ivins, Phillips & Barker
LeClairRyan
Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville

bdubs

Re: GPA requirements for these firms

Postby bdubs » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:MVP. Assuming no LR. What are ballpark GPA requirements for the DC offices at these firms:

Arnold Porter
Beveridge & Diamond
DLA Piper
Ivins, Phillips & Barker
LeClairRyan

Where the hell did you come up with this list? It seems totally random.

Also, MVP have entirely different curves. The GPA reqs will vary between the three.

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:16 am

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:MVP. Assuming no LR. What are ballpark GPA requirements for the DC offices at these firms:

Arnold Porter
Beveridge & Diamond
DLA Piper
Ivins, Phillips & Barker
LeClairRyan

Where the hell did you come up with this list? It seems totally random.

Also, MVP have entirely different curves. The GPA reqs will vary between the three.

lol, M. These are list of firms interviewing for DC for which I do not have GPA information.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:48 pm

A&P is relatively grade selective at NU. It seems slightly less grade sensitive than some of the other big DC offices (WilmerHale, Covington) but still up there. I would use them as a benchmark since the differences most years are small.

I don't know about the other firms.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:23 pm

I don't have any GPA info but you should be aware that Ivins is a tax boutique and Beveridge pretty much only does environmental litigation.

Take it from someone who's been there - don't interview with those two if you don't have the background.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:49 pm

I was a summer associate at A&P, so here are some thoughts.

A&P is very grade selective (at least top ten percent usually--I think I was in the top 5-10%) but is also very picky about "fit." It only has a class size of about 25, and generally that allows it to take only about one student per top 14 school. [There are exceptions to this: I believe last summer it had 5-6 summers from Yale (including two Rhodes Scholars(!)), and the summer before that it had 5-6 summer associates from Harvard. But aside from multiple students from HYS, there are usually only 1-2 students from the other top schools.] A&P puts a serious emphasis on personality and looks for people who connect with their interviewers and will fit well in a laidback, unpretentious, but professional, firm culture. If you meet the grade threshold and click with your interviewers, you could definitely score a callback over students with higher grades.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was a summer associate at A&P, so here are some thoughts.

A&P is very grade selective (at least top ten percent usually--I think I was in the top 5-10%) but is also very picky about "fit." It only has a class size of about 25, and generally that allows it to take only about one student per top 14 school. [There are exceptions to this: I believe last summer it had 5-6 summers from Yale (including two Rhodes Scholars(!)), and the summer before that it had 5-6 summer associates from Harvard. But aside from multiple students from HYS, there are usually only 1-2 students from the other top schools.] A&P puts a serious emphasis on personality and looks for people who connect with their interviewers and will fit well in a laidback, unpretentious, but professional, firm culture. If you meet the grade threshold and click with your interviewers, you could definitely score a callback over students with higher grades.

Hope this helps.

this is true of W&C, Wilmer, and Covington as well

they take 1-2 students from all the T14's (usually kids in the top 10%) except for Harvard/Yale (where they take about 5-6)

Stanford is not usually overrepresented in DC as much as Harvard and Yale

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:41 pm

does w&c refer to williams & connolly or white & case?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:07 am

Jessuf wrote:does w&c refer to williams & connolly or white & case?

In the context of this conversation that answer should be obvious, but to help you out: Williams & Connolly

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:05 am

Jessuf wrote:does w&c refer to williams & connolly or white & case?

W&C = williams & connolly

no one really cares enough about white & case to talk about them

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:10 am

Ok, thanks. Nothing is obvious to me. I just want to make sure I don't waste bids on certain super selective firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”