Associate vs. Of Counsel vs. Staff Attorney Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
augusta1985

New

Associate vs. Of Counsel vs. Staff Attorney

Post by augusta1985 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:08 pm

What exactly does "of counsel" mean? Same for "staff attorney." I'm assuming that staff attorneys are precluded from becoming partners and are hired on a project-by-project basis. Also, is it easier to get hired as a "staff attorney" at a biglaw firm?

Anonymous User

Re: Associate vs. Of Counsel vs. Staff Attorney

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:22 pm

From what I understand, "of counsel" just means someone who couldn't make partner but they wanted to keep around because he/she does good work.

Staff attorney's are people who are just really good at doc review.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I understand, "of counsel" just means someone who couldn't make partner but they wanted to keep around because he/she does good work.

Staff attorney's are people who are just really good at doc review.
I've seen people come in laterally, be named of counsel, and then get promoted to partner. So I think in some cases it's just an in between step from associate to partner.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Of counsel varies widely. Wikipedia has a pretty good page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_counsel ... efinitions

It could describe someone of relatively high influence (retired partner, respected lawyer with a part-time commitment) or lower influence (a permanent associate-plus or a stepping stone to partner status). But either way they're high in the pecking order.

Staff attorneys do low-level work like document review that might otherwise get contracted out, aren't on partner track, and are paid less than associates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”