2L Job Search Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tedalbany

2L Job Search Thread

Postby tedalbany » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Just wanted a place for all of us to talk and ask small questions regarding OCI, Mass Mailing, Non-Firm job searches, etc. Stuff that you don't want to create a whole new thread for.

Plus the 1L job search thread was fun, so let's do it again.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L Job Search Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Has anyone started mass mailing yet? I'm anxious to get started, but I'm guessing anything sent before July 5th is going to be a waste.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Anyone know if it's okay to put an email address on the top of my cover letter if I don't have a local address yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone started mass mailing yet? I'm anxious to get started, but I'm guessing anything sent before July 5th is going to be a waste.

I'm starting in a few weeks (about mid-July).

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:53 pm

I've been mass mailing and having some good results. Earliest callback scheduled for a couple weeks from now. I don't think it's too early - I'm using journal notices as an excuse to follow up on my applications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:48 pm

piccolittle wrote:I've been mass mailing and having some good results. Earliest callback scheduled for a couple weeks from now. I don't think it's too early - I'm using journal notices as an excuse to follow up on my applications.

What size of the firms that got back to you? And which kind of market are you in? Thanks.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 pm

I've been having some mixed results. Some interviews, some dings. I'm not quite sure how the selection process is going, so this makes me nervous for OCI. I wonder if my bid list is out of my reach.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
piccolittle wrote:I've been mass mailing and having some good results. Earliest callback scheduled for a couple weeks from now. I don't think it's too early - I'm using journal notices as an excuse to follow up on my applications.

What size of the firms that got back to you? And which kind of market are you in? Thanks.

West coast market, the interviews I have so far are V10 satellite offices. The others seem a bit slower but it is super early.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Enrages me to no end when I notice a mistake in my email/cover letter after I sent it... so far I've only mailed the mistakes to 2 firms though, and they aren't too promising of firms, so NBD (hopefully).

ETA: Anyone else notice it's really hard to sell yourself as a transactional associate? Every LS experience is just so litigation geared. I drafted one litigation CL as a backup and it's 100000x easier to write. My transactional cover letters just look like rambling garbage.

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:24 am

When is a good time to start applying to non-OCI firms in DC and NYC? I'm in NYC until the beginning of August, (when I return to my far-away school) and thought I could use my proximity to do some early interviews. Problem is I didn't realize journal notifications would take SO long...I should know by the second week of July latest. I'm guessing that waiting until then would remove any location advantage? Also, what's the deal with applying to mid-sized firms in these markets? Any help is much appreciated!

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:52 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:When is a good time to start applying to non-OCI firms in DC and NYC? I'm in NYC until the beginning of August, (when I return to my far-away school) and thought I could use my proximity to do some early interviews. Problem is I didn't realize journal notifications would take SO long...I should know by the second week of July latest. I'm guessing that waiting until then would remove any location advantage? Also, what's the deal with applying to mid-sized firms in these markets? Any help is much appreciated!

Similar question. I'm in DC and wanted to apply to some firms here. We don't find out about journals until the 3rd week of July or so. If I do apply now, how would I update about journals (if I get on one, knock on wood)- just send an email with an updated resume that has a line for the journal?

akili

Postby akili » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Is it appropriate to be mailing government/public interest orgs this early? Or should I wait til next week to start?

Return to “Legal Employment”