Rescheduling callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rescheduling callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Tell me if this is a good idea/bad idea...

Have a callback scheduled, and my boss is on board with it, but now she offered to take me along to this big deal conference that happens to be the same afternoon. Conference is hosted by a less prestigious firm that I am more interested in and, frankly, probably a more realistic candidate for. My boss is work buddies with the managing partner and the big name partner at the office I want to work at, and they will be there (so we can chat).

Worth asking the callback firm to reschedule? It's been a few days since I scheduled the CB.

Anonymous User

Re: Rescheduling callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tell me if this is a good idea/bad idea...

Have a callback scheduled, and my boss is on board with it, but now she offered to take me along to this big deal conference that happens to be the same afternoon. Conference is hosted by a less prestigious firm that I am more interested in and, frankly, probably a more realistic candidate for. My boss is work buddies with the managing partner and the big name partner at the office I want to work at, and they will be there (so we can chat).

Worth asking the callback firm to reschedule? It's been a few days since I scheduled the CB.

That really depends on the callback. Is it just you or a group day? Some firms hold a big callback day where they invite a bunch of people and they have all the partners and associates to stick around and interview, entertain, answer questions...kind of a big day. So if you're not a part of that and need to reschedule you're going to be a bit out of the loop. Large firms typically like to go all out for that kind of stuff and it's not that easy to get folks all together on one day just to interview law students.

On the other hand that is a fantastic opportunity, but it's interesting you classified the other firm as "less prestigious" and not some other adjective. Is the prestige factor really important to you? Are you really look forward to the chance to get an offer from a really prestigious firm or to work in the best possible environment? If you got offers from both places which one are you more likely to take?

Since your boss gave you the green light to attend the callback and then invited you along for this conference it's likely that your callback sliped his/her mind. It's always good to keep your engagements and not cancel things. If you boss is that close with this other firm chances are the opportunity to meet with the managing partner and the other office partner another time.

Anonymous User

Re: Rescheduling callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That really depends on the callback. Is it just you or a group day? Some firms hold a big callback day where they invite a bunch of people and they have all the partners and associates to stick around and interview, entertain, answer questions...kind of a big day. So if you're not a part of that and need to reschedule you're going to be a bit out of the loop. Large firms typically like to go all out for that kind of stuff and it's not that easy to get folks all together on one day just to interview law students.

On the other hand that is a fantastic opportunity, but it's interesting you classified the other firm as "less prestigious" and not some other adjective. Is the prestige factor really important to you? Are you really look forward to the chance to get an offer from a really prestigious firm or to work in the best possible environment? If you got offers from both places which one are you more likely to take?

Since your boss gave you the green light to attend the callback and then invited you along for this conference it's likely that your callback sliped his/her mind. It's always good to keep your engagements and not cancel things. If you boss is that close with this other firm chances are the opportunity to meet with the managing partner and the other office partner another time.

Thanks for your input! I think I'm not going to reschedule. Any thoughts on trying to do them both? The program ends shortly before my interview begins, and they're in adjacent towns. If I leave early, I could make it and have a little time to compose myself. On the one hand, it could be pretty stressful trying to get around town with not much time to spare, but on the other the networking could warm me up for my interviews and it might show the partners that I'm a desirable candidate (yeah, right) if I have to run off to a fancy interview. Also, if I do that I will definitely be overdressed. Any thoughts?

Prestige doesn't matter to me at all, but I like both firms for very different reasons.

Return to “Legal Employment”