can you determine small law salary by billable rate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

can you determine small law salary by billable rate?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:25 am

Since it is nearly impossible to figure out what a small shop pays, I was wondering if their was a standard for how much salary comes from an associates billable rate. For example, I will be interviewing for a position at a small firm (8 attorneys) and I know that the last new grad they hired bills at 200$ an hour (its a small city). I would like to know how much the first year salary is, or ballpark so I can negotiate when asked what my salary expectation is. Is there a standard formula for determining associate salary by way of billing?

Thanks for any help on this

Anonymous User

Re: can you determine small law salary by billable rate?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:50 am

No idea, but for informational purposes I'm an SA at a secondary market, get billed out at around 230, and my salary would come out to be 105. That said its a big firm, and so overhead is split between 600 lawyers so I probably take a (perhaps much) bigger ratio of what I "generate" (lol at any clients who actually pay that rate for me).

Given that its a tiny firm in a small city, I'd say, unless they do fabulously well and you are a great candidate, you'll be looking at between 40-60. Might as well open high.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:No idea, but for informational purposes I'm an SA at a secondary market, get billed out at around 230, and my salary would come out to be 105. That said its a big firm, and so overhead is split between 600 lawyers so I probably take a (perhaps much) bigger ratio of what I "generate" (lol at any clients who actually pay that rate for me).

Given that its a tiny firm in a small city, I'd say, unless they do fabulously well and you are a great candidate, you'll be looking at between 40-60. Might as well open high.

A friend at a small firm <50 was making $25/hr and billing $125/hr as an SA.

Edit: 52k/yr pace
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No idea, but for informational purposes I'm an SA at a secondary market, get billed out at around 230, and my salary would come out to be 105. That said its a big firm, and so overhead is split between 600 lawyers so I probably take a (perhaps much) bigger ratio of what I "generate" (lol at any clients who actually pay that rate for me).

A friend at a small firm <50 was making $25/hr and billing $125/hr as an SA.

Anon above, when I said my salary would come to 105 i meant 105k over the year. The 40-60 was similarly a yearly salary estimate. Sorry for the confusion

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Here's a reference point: billing out at about $200/hr, gettin paid about $60-65/hr

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:04 pm

I am SA at a biglaw firm. SA are billed out at 250 and first year salary is 160. I believe first years are billed out at 350 or so.

Return to “Legal Employment”