Clerkship Resume: Full Scholarship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
frank galvin

New

Clerkship Resume: Full Scholarship?

Post by frank galvin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:31 pm

So I have about 90% of a full (in my mind, what I pay is rather insignificant). Most of these money was given a merit scholarship, some of the stuff was earned following my 1L year. I have a summer associateship and I am applying for clerkships. My school is ranked low, but I took the money and made it work. Can I get away with saying Full Scholarship? I need a way of publicizing the fact that I made a good economic decision and still got to where I needed to be. I think this is one way to mitigate the pedigree obstacles I face. I know it is a stretch, but I feel like leaving it out is a mistake, and likewise, saying something like "90%" is a ridiculous thing to put.

Borhas

Platinum

Re: Clerkship Resume: Full Scholarship?

Post by Borhas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:32 pm

big ass scholarships usually have a name, I dont think it would look too tacky if you put the ______ Scholar on your resume
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:39 pm

While you're at it, if you're ranked at the 90th percentile jus put "#1 in my class" on your resume.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Borhas wrote:big ass scholarships usually have a name, I dont think it would look too tacky if you put the ______ Scholar on your resume
This.
Bildungsroman wrote:While you're at it, if you're ranked at the 90th percentile jus put "#1 in my class" on your resume.
So you don't do something like this.

frank galvin

New

Post by frank galvin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:54 pm

The lack of an impressive sounding name is part of the problem. Can I just staple my tuition statement?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:00 pm

STAPLE YOUR TUITION STATEMENT?

Cannot tell if trolling...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:22 pm

frank galvin wrote:The lack of an impressive sounding name is part of the problem. Can I just staple my tuition statement?
Yeah go ahead bro

Judges love documentation
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pballer

Bronze

Post by pballer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Your honor, I made an awesome financial decision! See financial documentation attached hereto (Exhibit 'A' to my Resume).

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:33 pm

frank galvin wrote:So I have about 90% of a full (in my mind, what I pay is rather insignificant). Most of these money was given a merit scholarship, some of the stuff was earned following my 1L year. I have a summer associateship and I am applying for clerkships. My school is ranked low, but I took the money and made it work. Can I get away with saying Full Scholarship? I need a way of publicizing the fact that I made a good economic decision and still got to where I needed to be. I think this is one way to mitigate the pedigree obstacles I face. I know it is a stretch, but I feel like leaving it out is a mistake, and likewise, saying something like "90%" is a ridiculous thing to put.
You are ashamed of your school, so you want to lie about your credentials. Get over it. Use something else to show how well you have done.

Or else just put 90% scholarship in the same line you would have put full scholarship. It isn't that lame and it has the advantage of being true.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:55 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:01 am

JusticeJackson wrote:I don't think this will help you. I had a full scholarship and I wrote "academic scholarship" on my resume (I didn't specify it was full). In the interviews where it came up, no one seemed to give a damn. One guy said "lucky you" and I didn't get an offer, Economic decisions are nice, but so is having a website with a bunch of top ten grads on it.
Let's get over this economic decision thing. OP did not choose an almost full-ride over a T14 . . .

OP: just be honest; I think a judge would be pretty ticked if s/he found out you lied on your resume to look marginally more impressive.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 am

finances are personal, bro. if you want a little boost in clerkship hiring, why not just say you went to Harvard?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:25 am

No one cares about your economic decision, but they might care that your low ranked school was not the best one you could have gotten into. That's the benefit of listing scholarships. That said, of course you can't get away with calling your not-full ride a full ride.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:31 am

Would it be douchey to put "awarded a 105,000 merit scholarship at ________" casually on my resume?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Would it be douchey to put "awarded a 105,000 merit scholarship at ________" casually on my resume?
Yes.

Didn't mean to be anon: this is rayiner.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Would it be douchey to put "awarded a 105,000 merit scholarship at ________" casually on my resume?
Yes. There's nothing casual about that.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:28 am

Last edited by unlicensedpotato on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:54 am

Unless you've got something like the AnBryce at NYU, the only thing a scholarship tells the judge is that your LSAT/GPA was higher than the medians for your school. What does the judge care about that? He already has your GPA showing your performance relative to your peers at the school you did go to.

Maybe I can see it you're in the top few people at your school and you want to suggest to the judge that you got into a higher-ranked school and maybe would have been in the top few people there too, instead of say top 5% or whatever mental discounting the judge does, but even then you're not adding a lot of information. Most judges know that the top few people at any school probably could have been the top few people at a higher-ranked school. What does the judge care whether they got into that higher-ranked school to begin with?

efleury

New

Post by efleury » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:48 pm

rayiner wrote:Unless you've got something like the AnBryce at NYU, the only thing a scholarship tells the judge is that your LSAT/GPA was higher than the medians for your school. What does the judge care about that? He already has your GPA showing your performance relative to your peers at the school you did go to.

Maybe I can see it you're in the top few people at your school and you want to suggest to the judge that you got into a higher-ranked school and maybe would have been in the top few people there too, instead of say top 5% or whatever mental discounting the judge does, but even then you're not adding a lot of information. Most judges know that the top few people at any school probably could have been the top few people at a higher-ranked school. What does the judge care whether they got into that higher-ranked school to begin with?
What about when submitting applications on Dec 1st before we have our grades?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:58 pm

efleury wrote:
rayiner wrote:Unless you've got something like the AnBryce at NYU, the only thing a scholarship tells the judge is that your LSAT/GPA was higher than the medians for your school. What does the judge care about that? He already has your GPA showing your performance relative to your peers at the school you did go to.

What about when submitting applications on Dec 1st before we have our grades?
You mean for 1L summer externships? Yes, I think it's reasonable to include named scholarship information in such circumstances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:14 am

one of our full professors, who once worked as biglaw partner, said it's ok to state the exact amount of the scholarship on the resume.

I don't know.... if you do, make sure you do not come across as douchey otherwise.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”