Another OCI Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bailee

Another OCI Question

Postby Bailee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:50 pm

I've searched around and haven't found anything on this topic, any help would be awesome!

I'm not participating in my school's EIW because I'm doing OCI (through my school, and a few others) in NY/DC that same week. I'm genuinely interested in some of the firms that are coming to our EIW but it just makes more sense for me to be in NY/DC because I'd like to end up in NY and I'm working in NY this summer. I know its unacceptable to mass mail firms that participated in OCI when you participated and just didn't bid, or didn't get an interview, but what about in my situation where I'm not participating at all?

To be clear, EIW for my school is in CA, most of the firms (all but maybe 10-12) are not interviewing for NY offices.

Bailee

Re: Another OCI Question

Postby Bailee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:17 pm

no one? :(

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Go ahead and mass mail. It's a legitimate reason to be mass mailing instead of bidding on them (because you won't be there). Good luck!

ETA: advice below is way better than mine.
Last edited by piccolittle on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Our school did an early week and regular week and a number of the firms were at both. But if you got an early week interview you couldn't bid on them again for the other OCI even if a different office was involved. But if you didn't get it you could bid again.

Is it possible for you to bid on EIW (even though you won't be around) and then see what comes of it? In the event you get a bite from some firms you're interested in then perhaps you could speak with the hiring coordinator for the firm and explain that you will be out of town and see if it would be possible for you to reschedule at another time/location. I think they're likely to at least work with you if you show enough interest to apply using the method they request. Firms do realize that all the legal hiring happens in a very concentrated span of time. Some firms are trying to jump ahead by having early interview while other schools don't offer that, so in a way, the firms know they run the risk of scheduling conflicts. But, at least if you get the interview you have something to go on. If you let them come and go you're applying cold which makes it seem like they were an afterthought.

Bailee

Postby Bailee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks, I feel like I'd probably be aggravating them by bidding on them (and scheduling interviews) that I have no intent on showing up to though, no?

I'm wondering if I should maybe address it in my CL somehow, I just don't want it to seem as if I prioritized the NY first.

Return to “Legal Employment”