SEMJF/southern firm help!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEMJF/southern firm help!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Please help me narrowing down the list of firms to interview with at SEMJF. Top 20% at UVA; legit ties to the south; a few years of work experience; average interviewer. If I want to maximize my chance of getting CBs, which of these firms should I (not) interview with? I’m asking because when I applied, my GPA was much higher, so I’m afraid some of these firms would not have picked me with my current GPA. I'm leaning towards transactional work right now, but would really like to try both lit and transaction over the summer.

Austin/Dallas:
Baker Botts
Fulbright
Locke Lord

Atlanta:
Alston & Bird
AGG
Bryan Cave
DLA
Jones Day
Kilpatrick Townsend
McKenna Long
Paul Hasting
Sutherland
Troutman Sanders

Any help is appreciated!!

pinkcamellia

Re: SEMJF/southern firm help!

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 pm

lolwut

Why aren't you going to interview with all of them? ITE you need all the interviews you can get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:34 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:lolwut

Why aren't you going to interview with all of them? ITE you need all the interviews you can get.

We are only allowed to have up to 10 interviews.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Ah, okay then.

I'd cut out Troutman and DLA (heard some negative things about DLA). Do you want Texas or Atlanta more?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Top 20% at UVA should get you call backs at almost all of them. Your only issue when it comes to offers is one you cannot control - your competition with URM's at higher ranked schools. Many of these firms may hire 1 male and 1 female of your background for the summer (at most, for some of them), and all you can do is ensure you research the firms well and can explain why you want them.

As the other poster asked, do you want Texas or Atlanta more?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Texas (more ties there), but ITE wherever I have the most chance of getting a job. For TX firms, I'm particularly worried about LL. Since they aren't on NALP, I don't know much about their SA program.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Top 20% at UVA should get you call backs at almost all of them. Your only issue when it comes to offers is one you cannot control - your competition with URM's at higher ranked schools. Many of these firms may hire 1 male and 1 female of your background for the summer (at most, for some of them), and all you can do is ensure you research the firms well and can explain why you want them.

As the other poster asked, do you want Texas or Atlanta more?

OP might not be URM. Could be azn bro

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Texas (more ties there), but ITE wherever I have the most chance of getting a job. For TX firms, I'm particularly worried about LL. Since they aren't on NALP, I don't know much about their SA program.

I'd stick with all your TX firms then, ATL, as I'm sure you know, has been a slaughterhouse as of late. Eliminate another ATL firm that you're not as interested in.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Texas (more ties there), but ITE wherever I have the most chance of getting a job. For TX firms, I'm particularly worried about LL. Since they aren't on NALP, I don't know much about their SA program.

Locke Lord is based in Dallas, so it has the largest class size of the 3. Plus, it's a second half only firm, so you might be able to score a Houston gig through OGI for first half. Both BB and FJ's class sizes are smaller for Dallas (I think BB has 15 and FJ has like 6-7). Are you leaning more corporate or litigation? For FJ Dallas, they only hire for litigation, so that's something to consider.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Lose DLA, Bryan Cave, Paul Hastings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:56 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:

I'd stick with all your TX firms then, ATL, as I'm sure you know, has been a slaughterhouse as of late. Eliminate another ATL firm that you're not as interested in.

Great thanks! Why did you recommend taking Troutman off? Is it because they are more grade selective?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:58 pm

rad lulz wrote:Lose DLA, Bryan Cave, Paul Hastings.

Thanks! I was thinking DLA and Bryan Cave too. Why PH? Just curioius.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:

Great thanks! Why did you recommend taking Troutman off? Is it because they are more grade selective?

I looked at Troutman stuff pretty in-depth earlier this year and it appears they're not looking to hire as many SAs this year. However, I would be more inclined in this situation to follow Rad Lulz's advice and cut DLA, Bryan Cave and Paul Hastings.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 pm

what if he comes to enjoy it? (DLA, I mean)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:05 pm

f0bolous wrote:

Locke Lord is based in Dallas, so it has the largest class size of the 3. Plus, it's a second half only firm, so you might be able to score a Houston gig through OGI for first half. Both BB and FJ's class sizes are smaller for Dallas (I think BB has 15 and FJ has like 6-7). Are you leaning more corporate or litigation? For FJ Dallas, they only hire for litigation, so that's something to consider.

Great to know. I'm leaning towards corporate right now, but would very much like to try both. So maybe no FJ.

Do you happen to know if firms frown upon a student applying to their Austin and Dallas offices at the same time? I have some ties to Dallas, not really any to Austin besides just wanting to be there.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Great to know. I'm leaning towards corporate right now, but would very much like to try both. So maybe no FJ.

Do you happen to know if firms frown upon a student applying to their Austin and Dallas offices at the same time? I have some ties to Dallas, not really any to Austin besides just wanting to be there.

Probably not, but realize Austin is really hard to get. It's basically only HYS + top 10% at UT, everything else, including T14 comes second fiddle.

If you really want Texas, of course bid Dallas, but also focus on Houston. The class sizes there are much bigger (compare 50+ at each BB and VE, 30+ at FJ in Houston vs. 15 at BB and VE, around 7 at FJ in Dallas)
Last edited by de5igual on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 pm

In answer to anon and PC

Last yr Troutman seemed to like people with high grades from UVA type schools and PH doesn't hire that many people and isn't that well regarded, generally.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 pm

f0bolous wrote:

what if he comes to enjoy it? (DLA, I mean)

Who doesn't enjoy it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:47 pm

i'm sorry to derail this topic, but was SEMJF only open to students from participating schools in the fair?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i'm sorry to derail this topic, but was SEMJF only open to students from participating schools in the fair?

Ya

Return to “Legal Employment”