Bidlist: DC/Boston Focus

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bidlist: DC/Boston Focus

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Top 10% (probably right around the 10% line) at one of MVPBDCN, want healthcare law with a litigation and/or regulatory work focus. Open to policy/lobbying work too. K-JD. Went to undergrad in DC. Born and raised in Mass. Haven't heard yet about law review or secondary journals. 100% Lottery system.

I'm really just unclear of how to rank in order to maximize interviews. Also, any firm missing? Non-DC is indicated with other city.

1 Williams & Connolly
2 Ropes & Gray (Boston)
3 Sidley Austin
4 Arnold & Porter
5 McDermott Will & Emery
6 Hogan Lovells
7 Latham & Watkins
8 Covington & Burling
9 WilmerHale (Boston)
10 Choate Hall & Stewart (Boston)
11 King and Spalding
12 Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
13 Jones Day
14 Goodwin Proctor (Boston)
15 Fulbright & Jaworski
16 Skadden
17 Foley & Lardner (Boston)
18 Morgan, Lewis & Bockius
19 O'Melveny & [deleted]
20 Dickstein Shapiro
21 Holland & Knight
22 Proskauer Rose (NYC)
23 Baker Botts
24 K&L Gates (Boston)
25 Cadwalader (NYC)
26 Davis Polk & Wardwell (NYC)
27 McKenna Long & Aldridge
28 Miller & Chevalier Chartered
29 Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton (NYC)
30 Morrison & Foerster

Anonymous User

Re: Bidlist: DC/Boston Focus

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:29 pm

why is w&c so high? couldn't you snag an interview from them at a lower spot?

EDIT: let me clarify. W&C is a highly selective firm so I'm positive you can get an interview with them at a lower rank. This would also depend on what school you go to. If you go to NU you could probably rank it low as hell and still get an interview since DC isn't as popular there.

For example, I ranked DPW 24 at my lower T14 and got a lottery interview with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:why is w&c so high? couldn't you snag an interview from them at a lower spot?

EDIT: let me clarify. W&C is a highly selective firm so I'm positive you can get an interview with them at a lower rank. This would also depend on what school you go to. If you go to NU you could probably rank it low as hell and still get an interview since DC isn't as popular there.

For example, I ranked DPW 24 at my lower T14 and got a lottery interview with them.

Good point. I'm just petrified of ranking one of my top choices lower than my preference order and lose out on it as a result.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:why is w&c so high? couldn't you snag an interview from them at a lower spot?

Good point. I'm just petrified of ranking one of my top choices lower than my preference order and lose out on it as a result.

Not going to happen. You can move it lower. The most popular firms are always the less selective ones with decent class sizes.

Also, I"m guessing you have a possibility of getting a job there but not a great one. And you can send them your resume. If they like you and want to interview you they will contact you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% (probably right around the 10% line) at one of MVPBDCN, want healthcare law with a litigation and/or regulatory work focus. Open to policy/lobbying work too. K-JD. Went to undergrad in DC. Born and raised in Mass. Haven't heard yet about law review or secondary journals. 100% Lottery system.

I'm really just unclear of how to rank in order to maximize interviews. Also, any firm missing? Non-DC is indicated with other city.

If you want to do regulatory work, you shouldn't be focusing on W&C. You should be looking at Cov, A&P, Hogan, etc. Also, you need to specify what you mean by "healthcare." If you mean food & drug, then Cov or Hogan should be at the top of your list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% (probably right around the 10% line) at one of MVPBDCN, want healthcare law with a litigation and/or regulatory work focus. Open to policy/lobbying work too. K-JD. Went to undergrad in DC. Born and raised in Mass. Haven't heard yet about law review or secondary journals. 100% Lottery system.

If you want to do regulatory work, you shouldn't be focusing on W&C. You should be looking at Cov, A&P, Hogan, etc. Also, you need to specify what you mean by "healthcare." If you mean food & drug, then Cov or Hogan should be at the top of your list.

I'm actually not all that interested in food and drug. More so provider side issues, specifically health care fraud and abuse/False Claims act defense work, but I think that is too narrow of a focus to have before really working for any significant period on any of these issues.

W&C is on there because its a great firm and if on the very off chance I were to get a job there, I'd be fine jettisoning my healthcare focus (for the time being) and work more on general litigation work. I will be moving W&C down the list though so thanks for the feedback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:56 pm

If healthcare and/or regulatory, Ropes should be DC not Boston.

Boston is, generally, Corporate and Government Enforcement. The regulatory (esp. FDA) work is DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:If healthcare and/or regulatory, Ropes should be DC not Boston.

Boston is, generally, Corporate and Government Enforcement. The regulatory (esp. FDA) work is DC.

Thoughts on bidding both? Ropes allows it, but will it cause both offices to believe I'm less serious about their respective market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If healthcare and/or regulatory, Ropes should be DC not Boston.

Thoughts on bidding both? Ropes allows it, but will it cause both offices to believe I'm less serious about their respective market.

Not necessarily. One of two outcomes: (a) they like you enough to allow a split summer (DC/BOS); or (b) they like you enough to want you, but only for one city and funnel you to that location by only inviting you for a CB to that location.

If you don't get a CB it won't be because of the multiple cities, but rather because they didn't like you for either. Make sense?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:

First off, I disagree that Ropes' DC office does more healthcare work than their Boston office. Check the website and run searches for healthcare practice area in Boston (LinkRemoved), and in DC (LinkRemoved), and Boston has more hits. Obviously the Boston office is bigger, but it seems like an established practice group there rather than just a few attorneys in DC, which seems like more of a niche thing. Boston is a big place for healthcare, both regulatory (lots of hospitals and biotech companies in Boston) and litigation (the USAO here has done some pretty major crackdowns on healthcare fraud and such).

Second, from what I've seen at OCI, Ropes was one of the firms that seemed very open to split summers, or letting an SA interview in general and then pick and office after they got an offer. I know a couple people who were either offered to split between NYC and Boston, or were just offered a pick of their office between those two. Don't know how DC fits into it, and I'm sure they'd probably prefer the certainty of knowing who will be at what office, but they don't seem super anal about it either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Insider info about Ropes:

I concur with JusticeHarlan. Ropes Boston has the most health care lawyers out of all offices, but DC has a healthy number. Overall Ropes does a variety of things related to HC: government enforcement, compliance, M&A in HC sector, and other corporate activities affecting HC entities. They also have a Life Sciences group that handles FDA work, among other things.

Ropes is very accomodating to inter-office splits. Boston/DC is one of the more popular ones, besides Boston/NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:42 pm

I think you're conflating healthcare, life sciences and FDA. healthcare practice is lots of hospital representations and some overlap with gov't enforcement. life sciences and FDA overlap quite a bit, but the FDA regulatory practice is predominantly DC, while life science (which is a lot of corp & securities work) operates a lot of boston and SV/SF

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Insider info about Ropes:

I concur with JusticeHarlan. Ropes Boston has the most health care lawyers out of all offices, but DC has a healthy number. Overall Ropes does a variety of things related to HC: government enforcement, compliance, M&A in HC sector, and other corporate activities affecting HC entities. They also have a Life Sciences group that handles FDA work, among other things.

Ropes is very accomodating to inter-office splits. Boston/DC is one of the more popular ones, besides Boston/NY.

OP Here. Thanks for the info. If there is any chance that Ropes will negatively view my application for bidding both DC and Boston though, I still am leaning against doing it. It's panning out to be my top choice in the Boston market so I wouldnt want to scare them off. Are you confident that there is very little chance of that happening?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Insider info about Ropes:

OP Here. Thanks for the info. If there is any chance that Ropes will negatively view my application for bidding both DC and Boston though, I still am leaning against doing it. It's panning out to be my top choice in the Boston market so I wouldnt want to scare them off. Are you confident that there is very little chance of that happening?

I'm the poster right above the quoted post. I don't think Ropes will view you negatively for being interested in two offices. Honestly, I think you might be wasting a bid if you bid on both because you can tell your interviewer or the recruiting staff during the interview process that you're interested in doing a split summer. From what I understand, hiring decisions are all made by the same people, so you really only need to get your name in there once.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 pm

i'm pretty sure your shot at working at W&C is minuscule unless you are well within the top 10% (more like top 1%)

i guess there's no downside to bidding on them but it seems silly to put them first especially since most people won't bid on them

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here. Thanks for the info. If there is any chance that Ropes will negatively view my application for bidding both DC and Boston though, I still am leaning against doing it. It's panning out to be my top choice in the Boston market so I wouldnt want to scare them off. Are you confident that there is very little chance of that happening?

Insider again. The person I'm apparently tag-teaming with is correct. When I was doing OCI, I interviewed with firms in Boston and NY. During my Ropes Boston OCI interview, I mentioned this and the partner touted the fact that with Ropes, I could do both cities (or any two cities in which their firm had offices, for that matter). That's one of the reasons I accepted their offer. Splitting is a natural part of their summer program.

Return to “Legal Employment”