Davis Polk/Baker & McKenzie SV?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Davis Polk/Baker & McKenzie SV?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:00 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about these offices? Most of the Bay Area/SV threads are taken up with discussion of the big SF firms. Culture, clients, work, summer program details would all be appreciated. What is it like working in a satellite CA office of a primarily NY firm? Interested in corporate work, FWIW.

Anonymous User

Re: Davis Polk/Baker & McKenzie SV?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:12 am

Anyone? :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone tell me anything about these offices? Most of the Bay Area/SV threads are taken up with discussion of the big SF firms. Culture, clients, work, summer program details would all be appreciated. What is it like working in a satellite CA office of a primarily NY firm? Interested in corporate work, FWIW.

most of the NYC v10 satellite offices in SV do primarily NYC style finance work. they represent banks/underwriters in IPOs and do big capital markets work for large bay area corporations. they don't do very much IP (some exceptions) and do basically no start up/VC work - they're rates are too high. most of the offices are small, as are the summer class sizes (5 or less). don't think these offices do much litigation either, though I might be wrong. personally, unless I wanted to maybe lateral to NYC at some point in the future or really clicked with the people at one of these offices, I would rather work for a california or SV firm, one that does more of the work silicon valley is known for.

also, obviously baker and mckenzie is not in the same league as davis polk. I have no idea what baker and mckenzie do in SV, and they're definitely not a major player.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone tell me anything about these offices? Most of the Bay Area/SV threads are taken up with discussion of the big SF firms. Culture, clients, work, summer program details would all be appreciated. What is it like working in a satellite CA office of a primarily NY firm? Interested in corporate work, FWIW.

most of the NYC v10 satellite offices in SV do primarily NYC style finance work. they represent banks/underwriters in IPOs and do big capital markets work for large bay area corporations. they don't do very much IP (some exceptions) and do basically no start up/VC work - they're rates are too high. most of the offices are small, as are the summer class sizes (5 or less). don't think these offices do much litigation either, though I might be wrong. personally, unless I wanted to maybe lateral to NYC at some point in the future or really clicked with the people at one of these offices, I would rather work for a california or SV firm, one that does more of the work silicon valley is known for.

I can't speak for the other offices, but I summered at DPW both in SV and NY. They don't fit that mold entirely. They do represent a lot of underwriters, but they also represent a lot of companies. Not necessarily startups, but tech companies that have grown out of the startup phase. E.g. they represented Pandora (not the underwriters) in its IPO. They do IP litigation as well as anti-trust litigation. It's a full-service office and doesn't at all feel like an outpost.

If OP is interested in corporate work, I'd seriously consider DPW, for two reasons. First, it's got a good reputation in its own right (Band 2 for Corporate M&A in Nor-Cal, alongside WSGR, Band 1 for Capital Markets in California). Second, it's a bit more diversified than places like WSGR. Those firms are much more heavily exposed to the boom-bust cycle of the SV tech startup scene, because as you say they do represent a lot of startups/VC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can't speak for the other offices, but I summered at DPW both in SV and NY. They don't fit that mold entirely. They do represent a lot of underwriters, but they also represent a lot of companies. Not necessarily startups, but tech companies that have grown out of the startup phase. E.g. they represented Pandora (not the underwriters) in its IPO. They do IP litigation as well as anti-trust litigation. It's a full-service office and doesn't at all feel like an outpost.

If OP is interested in corporate work, I'd seriously consider DPW, for two reasons. First, it's got a good reputation in its own right (Band 2 for Corporate M&A in Nor-Cal, alongside WSGR, Band 1 for Capital Markets in California). Second, it's a bit more diversified than places like WSGR. Those firms are much more heavily exposed to the boom-bust cycle of the SV tech startup scene, because as you say they do represent a lot of startups/VC.

This info is perfect. Did you do your callback in NYC or SV? If SV, can you tell me a little bit about the process? How did your experience in NY and SV compare? Presumably you split your summer; were they difficult about granting that request? Do you think splitting has an impact on getting an offer from either office?

If you would prefer to do this via PM, let me know. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can't speak for the other offices, but I summered at DPW both in SV and NY. They don't fit that mold entirely. They do represent a lot of underwriters, but they also represent a lot of companies. Not necessarily startups, but tech companies that have grown out of the startup phase. E.g. they represented Pandora (not the underwriters) in its IPO. They do IP litigation as well as anti-trust litigation. It's a full-service office and doesn't at all feel like an outpost.

This info is perfect. Did you do your callback in NYC or SV? If SV, can you tell me a little bit about the process? How did your experience in NY and SV compare? Presumably you split your summer; were they difficult about granting that request? Do you think splitting has an impact on getting an offer from either office?

If you would prefer to do this via PM, let me know. Thanks!

It's quite common for NY summers to rotate through one of the foreign or domestic offices. It's in the survey they send you in the spring along with what practice areas you want to try, etc. Splitting has no impact on getting an offer, as it is presumed from the beginning that everyone is getting offers. However, an NY summer who rotates through SV won't necessarily get an offer in SV. It depends on the needs of the office, though nobody from my class had a problem.

NY and SV are two very different places. The NY office is brighter and more energetic than some of the other NY firms I did callbacks with, but it's got the basic "roll in at 9:30" NY culture. The SV office gets rolling around 8-8:30, and people leave earlier. It's more laid back. The office itself is some villa-looking thing and is awesome. The biggest difference is the size of the office. People are nice in both offices, but SV has a "you know everyone" feel to it. As a practical matter the size of the office has upsides. E.g. the corporate group is undivided unlike in NY. So a corporate associate might do a little bit of capital markets, a little bit of M&A, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm

I know that Baker's Palo Alto tax practice is extremely talented. It is the premier tax firm in the area for IP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Anyone have tips on talking points for a DPW SV callback? Any advice or things to watch out for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have tips on talking points for a DPW SV callback? Any advice or things to watch out for?

Bump.

Return to “Legal Employment”