Supervisor isn't giving me any work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Supervisor isn't giving me any work?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:55 am

I'm currently spending my 1L summer at a small firm. The problem is the guy who is supposed to give me work doesn't give me any. I literally have to ask this guy 10-15 times just to give me something. The other 2 interns have complained about the same thing. I know I've done a good job on past assignments so I don't know what the deal is. The other day this guy didn't show up for work, and nobody else had anything for me. Myself and the other intern had nothing to do all day. Just today, since I started at 9:30, I've asked this guy 5 times, he keeps saying "I'll get something, I'll get something". It's pissing me off. The main attorney is never there, but I'd feel bad if I complain about this guy to her.

I feel like I'm wasting my summer, I spend the majority of the day bored, browsing the internet.

Any suggestions?

TTH

Re: Supervisor isn't giving me any work?

Postby TTH » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently spending my 1L summer at a small firm. The problem is the guy who is supposed to give me work doesn't give me any. I literally have to ask this guy 10-15 times just to give me something. The other 2 interns have complained about the same thing. I know I've done a good job on past assignments so I don't know what the deal is. The other day this guy didn't show up for work, and nobody else had anything for me. Myself and the other intern had nothing to do all day.

I feel like I'm wasting my summer, I spend the majority of the day bored, browsing the internet.

Any suggestions?

It's 1L summer, don't sweat it. Just make sure that whatever you do for the guy is good and that he likes you. Maybe come up with some project on your own and pitch it to him if you really want to gun. Depending on what kind of work the firm does, maybe you can create some sort of internal memo or practice guide concerning how local courts handle an area of law they work with often.

rockthered86

Postby rockthered86 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:07 am

You've asked your supervisor for an assignment 5 times in a span of 90 minutes? Seems a little excessive. Just relax and enjoy your summer. Sounds like you have gotten some substantive work, so you'll have something to talk about during interviews.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:29 am

I bet OP gets work today and stops complaining.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:31 am

rockthered86 wrote:You've asked your supervisor for an assignment 5 times in a span of 90 minutes? Seems a little excessive. Just relax and enjoy your summer. Sounds like you have gotten some substantive work, so you'll have something to talk about during interviews.

Yeah bro, I'd send your ass home if I was him. You wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently spending my 1L summer at a small firm. The problem is the guy who is supposed to give me work doesn't give me any. I literally have to ask this guy 10-15 times just to give me something. The other 2 interns have complained about the same thing. I know I've done a good job on past assignments so I don't know what the deal is. The other day this guy didn't show up for work, and nobody else had anything for me. Myself and the other intern had nothing to do all day. Just today, since I started at 9:30, I've asked this guy 5 times, he keeps saying "I'll get something, I'll get something". It's pissing me off. The main attorney is never there, but I'd feel bad if I complain about this guy to her.

Any suggestions?

Are you getting paid?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Watch the Euro matches bro. That is what summer is all about. That is what I do, and I love it.

Oh god, you are getting pissed off? No wonder law students have a bad reputation. Relax man, just relax. This is just a line on your resume, not much more. Take a chill pill and stop annoying people who have real work to do!!
It reminds me of my externship. Doing close to nothing, but then other externs were also hired and they kept on asking and asking for work. So the clerks are making us do some of the most mundane, repetitive, made-up tasks now, so we leave them alone. Like memos for cases that are basically settled. If he needs you, he will ask you.
Last edited by Pokemon on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 pm

rockthered86 wrote:You've asked your supervisor for an assignment 5 times in a span of 90 minutes? Seems a little excessive. Just relax and enjoy your summer. Sounds like you have gotten some substantive work, so you'll have something to talk about during interviews.

Lol. This. I miss the chill of 1L summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”