GPA or CLASS RANK: What matters

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Huluba

GPA or CLASS RANK: What matters

Postby Huluba » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:11 am

Do employers like higher GPA's or higher class ranking? Basically, if an employer has about a 3.5 cutoff does that mean the same thing for all schools even if in one school a 3.5 is top 10% and in another its top 33%?

vegeta

Re: GPA or CLASS RANK: What matters

Postby vegeta » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:13 am

Why are you posting this anon?

The answer is no.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:15 am

vegeta wrote:Why are you posting this anon?

The answer is no.

Because I thought it might be a dumb question but I am genuinely curious.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do employers like higher GPA's or higher class ranking? Basically, if an employer has about a 3.5 cutoff does that mean the same thing for all schools even if in one school a 3.5 is top 10% and in another its top 33%?

More likely than not, the school at which 3.5 is top 33% is probably a better school, so maybe.

Otherwise, no. They care about class rank. Cutoffs mean very little unless the employer does most of its recruiting at your school. Even then, I'd be skeptical. Some go higher; some go lower. In the end, I think OCI callback data (or preselect data) is what you should go on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do employers like higher GPA's or higher class ranking? Basically, if an employer has about a 3.5 cutoff does that mean the same thing for all schools even if in one school a 3.5 is top 10% and in another its top 33%?

Employers are smart. They care about rank... GPA is absolutely meaningless, but for the associated rank.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Employers are smart. They care about rank... GPA is absolutely meaningless, but for the associated rank.

Employers are dumb. Between the two local Community College School of Law's in your preferred market, take the one with the 4.0 curve, because it's totally too hard to figure out that a 3.7 there means less than a 3.4 at the one with the 3.0 curve. If the hiring partners could figure out those 'greater than' and 'less than' relationships and all that, why would they have gone to lawl school?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vegeta wrote:Why are you posting this anon?

The answer is no.

Because I thought it might be a dumb question but I am genuinely curious.

Anon is not for shielding your username from potential fallout caused by posting stupid shit.

Return to “Legal Employment”