Jones Day Early Callback in Secondary Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jones Day Early Callback in Secondary Market

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:44 am

I have an early callback with Jones Day in a secondary market (think Atlanta, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas). Given what I know about the firm culture and their practice strengths I would also be interested in working in the NYC office. The HR contact - and a partner - told me that one of the benefits of doing a callback early is that I get to save a bid for OCI. But, I'd prefer Jones Day NYC to several of the other NYC firms that I'm bidding on.

tl:dr, is it a good idea or bad idea to call up the HR contact and tell her that while I'm interested in office secondary market X there are only so many firms I can bid from market X and I have 20 or so bids that are used on NYC, and that I'd rather work for Jones Day NYC than some of those firms. On the one hand I think this might be fine given the whole "one firm world wide" thing they have going on. On the other hand I don't want them to think I lack interest in secondary market X and decrease my chance at an offer.
Also, if anyone has general JD callback tips I'd be happy to hear em.

fish52

Re: Jones Day Early Callback in Secondary Market

Postby fish52 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:tl:dr, is it a good idea or bad idea to call up the HR contact and tell her that while I'm interested in office secondary market X there are only so many firms I can bid from market X and I have 20 or so bids that are used on NYC, and that I'd rather work for Jones Day NYC than some of those firms. On the one hand I think this might be fine given the whole "one firm world wide" thing they have going on. On the other hand I don't want them to think I lack interest in secondary market X and decrease my chance at an offer.

Uh.... wut?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:42 am

Not sure where you go to school, but make sure you are realistic. Jones Day NYC is MUCH more selective than non-NYC (with DC maybe being the one exception). Of 26 summers in NYC, I believe 22 went to T10 schools. Jones Day offices in secondary markets often tend to hire from a greater range of schools, so it may increase your chances.

Perhaps you can clarify your school range? That will help determine how likely Jones Day NYC is for you.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:49 am

Calling HR and telling them you want to bid on New York instead of a callback you have now is foolish. Take what you have.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:40 am

Do not do that. Just scratch JD NY. There are many other NY firms you can bid on. Also, JD only lets you do one interview for whole firm, but if you cancel a callback, you may not get any JD office.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:53 am

This facially appears to be one of the worse ideas I've heard when it comes to legal employment, but it's hard to know for sure without knowing your grades and school. If you're in the top few people of your class at a T14 it might be worth the risk of testing them.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:00 am

I'll echo everyone else. One in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that.

Also, anyone else notice the completely inappropriate use of tl;dr? Might be the worst use of it I've ever seen. OP actually used it preceeding a paragraph that was longer than the original question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:31 am

OP here. Thanks for the feedback, I figured the risk would be too great. I'm top 25% at a T10. And to clarify I had no intention of cancelling the callback in the secondary market, was wondering if I could still bid JD at OCI and pursue a callback in NYC.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the feedback, I figured the risk would be too great. I'm top 25% at a T10. And to clarify I had no intention of cancelling the callback in the secondary market, was wondering if I could still bid JD at OCI and pursue a callback in NYC.

At most firms, yea probably okay. I have heard that JD is strict on doing only one interview though. With your grades, you can bid on almost any NY firm, so it shouldn't hurt to leave JD NY off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:46 am

Related question: what are people's thoughts on bidding on the NYC office of a firm when you also bid on, and are targeting, that firm in a different market. Does it show flight risk from the other market? Or does it show desire for that firm? Is it particularly risky if ties to the other market are only marginal?

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:47 am

Columbus isn't that bad bro. Look me up when you get here and you can buy me a drink with your filthy JD lucre.

Cleveland is, though. lulz

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure where you go to school, but make sure you are realistic. Jones Day NYC is MUCH more selective than non-NYC (with DC maybe being the one exception). Of 26 summers in NYC, I believe 22 went to T10 schools. Jones Day offices in secondary markets often tend to hire from a greater range of schools, so it may increase your chances.

Perhaps you can clarify your school range? That will help determine how likely Jones Day NYC is for you.

How is an office full of median and top third T14 people "MUCH more selective" than an office full of top 5% regional school people and T14 people with grades that run the gamut? You seem like you don't know what you're talking about. DC isn't "maybe" an exception. It is by FAR the most selective Jones Day office.

Return to “Legal Employment”