Bidding on London

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bidding on London

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received a CB for two different London firms one is an overseas office of a V-10 firm think Cleary/Skadden/Kirkland and one is a Magic Circle firm think Clifford Chance/Freshfields/A&O if I were to get offers from both what is the better option? Is the Magic Circle better for promotion potential because it's the main office? Or maybe the US firm is better because if/when I transition back to the states I'll be at a stronger domestic firm? I know US attorneys in all of these offices do pretty much the same work but is there a difference in the level of complexity? Exit options? ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Except for Freshfields and S&M, Magic Circle firms led the crop of layoffs two years ago.

So is that a vote for the V-10 firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Once one has an offer from a London firm what is the best way to ask about compensation? Is it appropriate to ask the recruiting staff or the hiring partner?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Once one has an offer from a London firm what is the best way to ask about compensation? Is it appropriate to ask the recruiting staff or the hiring partner?

I found this answer out by asking an associate. They were really helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:07 am

Does anyone know if British firms give bonuses the same way American firms do?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if British firms give bonuses the same way American firms do?

Depends on the firm. Some firms basically follow NYC but some don't so you'd have to research the specific firm you're talking about. This would be a good question to ask during your callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Once one has an offer from a London firm what is the best way to ask about compensation? Is it appropriate to ask the recruiting staff or the hiring partner?

I have few offers from London firms. A couple laid it out in the offer letter, the other one I just asked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received a CB for two different London firms one is an overseas office of a V-10 firm think Cleary/Skadden/Kirkland and one is a Magic Circle firm think Clifford Chance/Freshfields/A&O if I were to get offers from both what is the better option? Is the Magic Circle better for promotion potential because it's the main office? Or maybe the US firm is better because if/when I transition back to the states I'll be at a stronger domestic firm? I know US attorneys in all of these offices do pretty much the same work but is there a difference in the level of complexity? Exit options? ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Got both offers. Any ideas now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Got both offers. Any ideas now?

Bump. Also interested, with similar options in London. Would also be fantastic (if anyone is so inclined) to get perspectives on V5 London office vs. V5 NY headquarters, with preference for London as a city but concerned about limiting career potential...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Also interested. Has anyone worked for an MC firm? How were the US practice areas overseas?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:50 pm

While I view US firms as more stable, I do think there might be longevity concerns about your career in the long term. Apparently, making partner is even harder than in the US office, and exit options are poor state side. This is all second hand information, and I'm curious to know if anyone's heard anything different.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:While I view US firms as more stable, I do think there might be longevity concerns about your career in the long term. Apparently, making partner is even harder than in the US office, and exit options are poor state side. This is all second hand information, and I'm curious to know if anyone's heard anything different.

What about exit options in London?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:While I view US firms as more stable, I do think there might be longevity concerns about your career in the long term. Apparently, making partner is even harder than in the US office, and exit options are poor state side. This is all second hand information, and I'm curious to know if anyone's heard anything different.

A partner at a (US) V10 in London told me the same thing. He actually said the chance of making partner were actually similar and all the London partners had spent a majority of their career in London. But he said that the exit options would be more limited than if I worked in NYC. Although he didn't say how much they were limited.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 am

Are ay of the US practices in the Magic Circle firms thought to be better than the others? Ie among Freshfields, A&0, Clifford Chance and Linklaters - is there one US group in London that stands out?

bendurnotes4me

Postby bendurnotes4me » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Has anyone decided on London yet? If so, PM me. I will definitely be there next summer/after graduation.

Return to “Legal Employment”