Calling a woman Mrs. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
vegeta

New

Calling a woman Mrs.

Post by vegeta » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:52 am

If a woman addresses herself as such (say, on her business card or when ending her email or letters), should you address her that way in formal correspondence (say in a job application or cover letter)? It seems like she obviously has a preference, and it'd be respectful to honor that. Thoughts.

ben4847

Silver

Re: Calling a woman Mrs.

Post by ben4847 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:57 am

At my 1L summer job, it took me about a month to stop calling my supervisor "Mr. ******", and start calling him by his first name.
Still feels a bit weird to call older partners by their first name, but that's how it goes.

vegeta

New

Post by vegeta » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:04 am

Yeah, I know calling someone by their first name is fine in person. I mean like if you write them a cover letter.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:15 am

vegeta wrote:Yeah, I know calling someone by their first name is fine in person. I mean like if you write them a cover letter.
Oh. Well, I usually address women as "Ms.", except if I know that they are normal and prefer "Mrs."
So, if her business card says "Mrs.", then I'd go with that. Of course, it also means she is a weirdo, since you are supposed to just write your first and last name on a business card--not your title.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:30 am

I would probably still say Ms. Can't go wrong following standard etiquette.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”