Grades for DA or ADA in NC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Grades for DA or ADA in NC

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 pm

What kind of grades are needed to be competitive for ADA or PD positions after graduation?

bdubs

Re: Grades for DA or ADA in NC

Postby bdubs » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What kind of grades are needed to be competitive for ADA or PD positions after graduation?

I know absolutely nothing about ADA/PD positions or North Carolina, but I do know that your school will matter quite a bit in addition to your grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Different Anon (employer knows who I am and HR is on these boards), tagging for interest. What about the NC schools? UNC, Duke, Wake, NCCU, Campbell, Elon, Charlotte... Damn, we've got a lot of schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:57 pm

From UNC/Wake?, it seems like a lot of the DAs or PDs went to either Wake/UNC/Campbell

jstr00az

Postby jstr00az » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Grades have almost nothing to do with hiring at a PD or DA office in NC. Depends in which judicial district, and which office but half hires are political (who you know) and half are "merit" but grades have very little to do with it. Have you interned in the office? Did you try cases as intern? Thwt matters more than grades. There are virtually no jobs anyway because current staff is clinging to those jobs and because NC IDS came out with new contract system for bigger districts that largely replaces court appointment lists.

I am in a big NC county and know of no one who got a recent job in the county PD or DA office who did not first intern there or have a very good connection. Grades do not matter unless your grades are atrocious.

Also, good luck getting a job out of Duke, Elon or Charlotte. Better luck out of Campbell, UNC or NCCU, but still pickings are really slim.

Return to “Legal Employment”