Sales job or law firm for my year off before law school?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sales job or law firm for my year off before law school?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I currently work part time at a law firm, less than $300 a week. I've been applying for jobs after I graduate in July. Ive been looking for full time legal assistant-ish jobs but they are hard to come by. Recently, I got a call for a inside sales position. The job posting said $35,000. What do you think?

P.s. i will be attending law school in the fall of 2013

dixon02

Re: Sales job or law firm for my year off before law school?

Postby dixon02 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I currently work part time at a law firm, less than $300 a week. I've been applying for jobs after I graduate in July. Ive been looking for full time legal assistant-ish jobs but they are hard to come by. Recently, I got a call for a inside sales position. The job posting said $35,000. What do you think?

Go for it. Take the $$.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I currently work part time at a law firm, less than $300 a week. I've been applying for jobs after I graduate in July. Ive been looking for full time legal assistant-ish jobs but they are hard to come by. Recently, I got a call for a inside sales position. The job posting said $35,000. What do you think?

I vote for law job. Unless the job is cleaning the floors, you will pick things up by osmosis that will help you on later jobs, and maybe even in school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:39 pm

thats kind of what i was thinking. i actually doing stuff like draft papers and learn quite a bit. the optional solution would be to find a job back at my home state (where this sales job is) so i can live at home and save money too but it dosen't look like that is going to hapeen

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:48 pm

How the eff does anyone take 300 a week? That's slave wages.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:51 pm

SALES JOB. $35k isn't much but it's way better than $15k. Save up as much money as possible for COL when you're in law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:How the eff does anyone take 300 a week? That's slave wages.

its part time. 23 hours.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:How the eff does anyone take 300 a week? That's slave wages.

its part time. 23 hours.

Just curious. How do you live off that?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Fuck it, I'd take the part time job. That's plenty of beer money if you can live at home and you will thank yourself for chilling out (especially when still having a respectable job title) later

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:56 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Fuck it, I'd take the part time job. That's plenty of beer money if you can live at home and you will thank yourself for chilling out (especially when still having a respectable job title) later

the part time law firm job is not at home. it is in another state where i am attending school. the full time sales job is at home.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Take the real job. Nothing you will lean in your legal job will help you in law school or later. The real job has more $. Unless it has a really shitty title, law firms will probably prefer full time work to part time work, if they care about your career. They are not fools, they know what a part-time employee does better than anybody.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Pokemon wrote:Take the real job. Nothing you will lean in your legal job will help you in law school or later. The real job has more $. Unless it has a really shitty title, law firms will probably prefer full time work to part time work, if they care about your career. They are not fools, they know what a part-time employee does better than anybody.

the title is inside sales rep.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Fuck it, I'd take the part time job. That's plenty of beer money if you can live at home and you will thank yourself for chilling out (especially when still having a respectable job title) later

the part time law firm job is not at home. it is in another state where i am attending school. the full time sales job is at home.

Well take the full time then. All I know is that if someone offered me a part time job right now I'd snatch that shit up.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:06 pm

A couple things that haven't been brought up:

1) if you can live at home and earn 35,000, then you could feasibly save 20K for law school. Huge chunk of money to not have to borrow. Even if you save 10K or 15K, big difference.

2) Sales jobs are high pressure, high demand (typically). At most of them, there is a good chance you'll lose it within three months, and often the salary they quote is really just a ballpark of "typical" commissions. To be sure, I'm not overly familiar with the industry or the fine lines that exist, and am speaking from rumors by proxy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:A couple things that haven't been brought up:

1) if you can live at home and earn 35,000, then you could feasibly save 20K for law school. Huge chunk of money to not have to borrow. Even if you save 10K or 15K, big difference.

2) Sales jobs are high pressure, high demand (typically). At most of them, there is a good chance you'll lose it within three months, and often the salary they quote is really just a ballpark of "typical" commissions. To be sure, I'm not overly familiar with the industry or the fine lines that exist, and am speaking from rumors by proxy.

Thank fark-o-vision, the first point really does put things into perspective. that would be a lot of money i would be able to pay off instead of loan.

2. on the job posting they said "Our starting salary is $35,000 per year plus commissions" so i think 35 is base. but i did not realize it was that high pressure. thats a huge factor too

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:24 pm

I was in sales for 4 years before law school. People I have interviewed with have viewed it as a significant plus. I've heard many times from them how half of being a good attorney is sales. Also, if you work as an attorney with individual clients (as opposed to corporations and such), most of the other half of the job is client control, which you will pick up some good practices for that in sales.

Also, if you end up not going the Biglaw route (or maybe even some Biglaw firms), smaller and midsize firms like to see a little experience outside of school, some sort of real job. They tend to be pretty concerned with "fit" and having held a real job for a while, especially sales, shows that you can interact with people in a vaguely social and normal manner, or at least fake it well enough.

Also, money.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:28 pm

What is the sales job and what exactly are you doing now?

I did sales for 9 years before law school and including with a large corporate company and all of the attorneys I have spoken with tell me how great of experience that is. Sales and being able to communicate with people is a skill lots of people do not have.

That being said I think the type of sales you are looking at will be important.

EDIT: what Kalvano said

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:32 pm

thank you for the insight. i didnt know sales experience is looked on as a plus for some firms.

This is the description of the job.

XXXX is in the publishing and advertising arena. We sell advertising space for USA TODAY's vast portfolio of national glossy lifestyle magazines and regional sports preview publications. These beautiful, high quality, stand-alone publications cover all major sports, lifestyles and special events. The national lifestyle magazines highlight Men's Health, Women's Health, Children's Health, Travel, Outdoor Living, Green Living, and Home Living. The sports publications include regional team previews from each of the major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) as well as national previews for the World Series and the Super Bowl.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 pm

So we're talking $35k, plus commission, plus living at home? And you're debating between this and something that pays $300/week and having to pay your own living expenses? This really shouldn't even be a question. Also, since the sales job is salaried, I'm assuming it comes with benefits as well, unlike the part-time job? This is a no-brainer.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thank you for the insight. i didnt know sales experience is looked on as a plus for some firms.

XXXX is in the publishing and advertising arena. We sell advertising space for USA TODAY's vast portfolio of national glossy lifestyle magazines and regional sports preview publications. These beautiful, high quality, stand-alone publications cover all major sports, lifestyles and special events. The national lifestyle magazines highlight Men's Health, Women's Health, Children's Health, Travel, Outdoor Living, Green Living, and Home Living. The sports publications include regional team previews from each of the major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) as well as national previews for the World Series and the Super Bowl.

damnit i was hoping you'd be selling cutco knives

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm normally a big proponent of getting real, full-time work experience before law school. If you're going to end up at a law school where you're pretty sure you'll get employment through OCI (basically, a T14), then I would take the full-time job for sure. I'm going to go very slightly against the grain here and suggest that if you're going to a more regional school, you might consider sticking with the law job. If you're going to be scrounging up a job after passing the bar, you'll need all the connections you can get, and if you impress someone at the legal job, maybe, maybe it could turn into a decent networking opportunity. That said, I would still probably say on balance having some full-time work on your resume and having the experience for your own personal/professional development is the right move. It is shocking to hear some of the complaints I hear from first-year biglaw associates who never worked full-time before law school; no doubt being a lawyer is particularly hard in certain ways but a lot of it is just the reality of having to show up at work anywhere every single morning, having a boss, managing coworker relations, etc. I think that perspective is really valuable and a surprising number of people never get it.

NJPitcher

Postby NJPitcher » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:25 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:thank you for the insight. i didnt know sales experience is looked on as a plus for some firms.

damnit i was hoping you'd be selling cutco knives

Psh, cutco pays way more than 35 base.

Return to “Legal Employment”