Are State Clerkships just a lottery? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

Gold

Are State Clerkships just a lottery?

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Assuming above median + Journal are state clerkships basically just all about luck? Anything specific to give one an advantage over another?

ggocat

Gold

Re: Are State Clerkships just a lottery?

Post by ggocat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:48 pm

About as much luck as any other job. What school? Also big difference between trial, intermediate, supreme.

Edit: and to your second question, basically anything that would give you an edge for any legal job (knowing someone who is close to the judge, having good writing sample, top grades, etc.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:27 am

You looking in PA too, Barbell? edit - accidental anon, this is beach_terror

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:42 pm

CA ones at Superior Court are actually very competitive because there are so few of them and they only hire at the end of 3L.

Cal. Ct. App. doesn't hire clerks and neither does the Cal. Supreme, although Justice Liu is starting to do so.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:07 pm

hiima3L wrote:Cal. Ct. App. doesn't hire clerks
OP in this thread says he/she got an offer: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=187869

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You looking in PA too, Barbell? edit - accidental anon, this is beach_terror
PA and a few other states I have ties to. I have a close friend who is currently running for state judge so if they actually win it I may just clerk there. *crosses fingers*

augusta1985

New

Post by augusta1985 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:18 pm

ggocat wrote:
hiima3L wrote:Cal. Ct. App. doesn't hire clerks
OP in this thread says he/she got an offer: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=187869
OP here. Should have clarified...The position is for a staff attorney, but working for a specific judge.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:46 pm

augusta1985 wrote:OP here. Should have clarified...The position is for a staff attorney, but working for a specific judge.
I think you can still call it a "clerkship" as used in the vernacular since it's a term appointment for a specific judge. I pointed to your thread because I, like hiima3L, understood that California courts generally did not hire term clerks -- only permanent staff attorneys. Just curious, how common do you think it is for CA appellate judges to hire term clerks?

augusta1985

New

Post by augusta1985 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:55 pm

ggocat wrote:
augusta1985 wrote:OP here. Should have clarified...The position is for a staff attorney, but working for a specific judge.
I think you can still call it a "clerkship" as used in the vernacular since it's a term appointment for a specific judge. I pointed to your thread because I, like hiima3L, understood that California courts generally did not hire term clerks -- only permanent staff attorneys. Just curious, how common do you think it is for CA appellate judges to hire term clerks?
My understanding is that it's extremely rare. The California Courts are essentially using their "staff attorneys" and "habeas/capital attorneys" in lieu of clerks. Same goes for the state supreme court, for reasons I'm unsure of. One thing I might add is that the perks of the federal term clerks seem to be a lot better. If you choose to opt out of the "Leave Act", your vacation time is completely up to the judge you work for. So if you land a cool judge that isn't a taskmaster, they could theoretically give you an unlimited amount of vacation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”