My recent graduate husband

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
attractive_NUisance

Re: My recent graduate husband

Postby attractive_NUisance » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:27 pm

It is possible some age discrimination occurs in law firm interviews. They are mostly interviewing 25 year-olds and think of junior associates as being young. Subconsciously, some people may think that younger associates are more willing to put up with the long hours and personal life sacrifices of being a junior associate. There is not a lot you can do about it if this kind of illegal discrimination is happening. He certainly should not answer the question if an interviewer asked how old he is (deflect with a joke is probably the most tactful way to handle it). I think overall the positives of having more work experience and life experience should be seen as a big benefit. So hopefully this is not a reason for the results.

linquest

Postby linquest » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know he generally feels like the closer he gets to taking the bar the more dire it is in his head, and since I don't have anything to compare it to I was assuming it wasn't a very good situation....

He's got that backwards. When you're looking at post-graduation hiring, most firms want someone who's already barred, or at least has passed the exam and is just pending C&F/swearing-in. From the employer's viewpoint, it's faster and less risky to hire someone that's already licensed to practice. I've only known one person who interviewed and got a job in the time between graduation and taking the bar exam...so it's not impossible, but he's better off focusing on bar prep rather than the job search right now. Not exactly uplifting news, but this means his chances are actually better in several months (presuming he passes the bar) than right now.

I don't think it's a bad idea to re-apply to places after he passes the bar if he at least left a decent impression. They might have room for another hire now.

He might also check out this book on job hunting:
http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Tactics ... 0159003172

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:08 am

What was his class rank (top x %) what was his GPA and what is his job target (type of work + salary)? We can then tell you whether he is underperforming for a NU grad. It might not be "him," or it might. If it isn't "him," there is no sense in telling him that it is. So, what do we got?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:49 am

I don't think it's a bad idea to re-apply to places after he passes the bar if he at least left a decent impression. They might have room for another hire now.

This... I graduated 2011 without a job lined up, most (like 90%) of the alums I talked to in my target markets said that firms likely wouldn't be looking too hard at me until I've passed the bar. I did get a couple interviews by applying to firms and letting them know I'm going to be in the area for the bar exam. I'll totally admit that I skimmed part of this thread (I'm at work) so I can't remember if he's taking the bar in another state than where you are now, but that could be something to do. It's already close to mid-July so the exam isn't very far away.

Anyway, your husband isn't screwed, just has to keep trying. I got a fair number of interviews during bar study and after taking the bar and ended up with a clerkship offer within a month or two after taking the bar. I didn't even graduate from a T14, didn't have a 2L SA position (my 1L first semester sucked, even though I totally crushed every other semester with top-1%-like grades), and struck out on clerkships/3L OCI. The depression that goes on after that is pretty killer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I think this might be helpful to OP anyway. I'm curious how everyone seems to know the "behind-the-scenes" aspects of the hiring process so well. I was on the hiring end a couple of years ago at a public service organization, but unofficially. (I reviewed resumes and applications, and I helped my supervisor interview candidates. I could make recommendations, but I couldn't officially hire anyone.) When I would interview people, I looked for what everyone has described so far (fire in the belly, a little of myself in someone else, etc.), but I also looked for someone who could articulate their thoughts in a way that "clicked" with me, having worked in the organization for a period of time. How that person could possibly know what I was looking for and how s/he could click with me was impossible, and sometimes even I didn't know what it took to "click" with me. But there were definitely people who had well-thought out responses to questions like "why do you want to work here?" that made me think, "yeah this guy is all right." Now, when I go on interviews, I try to keep these thoughts in mind, but I am still striking out a fair amount. I am just applying for unpaid internships during the academic year, so it might be different, but part of me thinks this is worse because I'm not even getting paid, and people don't want to hire me! For those of you who have done fairly well at interviews (both unpaid and paid positions), can you outline your mindset going into the interview and during it? What made the employer think you "clicked" with him/her?

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:56 am

Also, OP, you said your husband went to law school later in life. How old is he? I ask because I'll be 40 (*faints*) when I graduate, and I have my suspicions that my age will hurt me when it comes to law firms, though I have no real facts to back that suspicion up.

Return to “Legal Employment”