Are two journals better than one? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

For a big law interview, are two secondary journals better than one?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 21

thelaststraw05

Silver

Are two journals better than one?

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:41 am

Obviously Law Review is ideal, I'm hoping to hear something about that, but I got offers to join two journals. The lower of the two made the pitch that I can do both.

For the purpose of big law interviews, are two journals better than one?
Last edited by thelaststraw05 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

de5igual

Silver

Re: Is two journals better than one?

Post by de5igual » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:45 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:Obviously Law Review is ideal, I'm hoping to hear something about that, but I got offers to join two journals. The lower of the two made the pitch that I can do both.

For the purpose of big law interviews, is two journals better than one?
no

thelaststraw05

Silver

Re: Are two journals better than one?

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:47 am

f0bolous wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Obviously Law Review is ideal, I'm hoping to hear something about that, but I got offers to join two journals. The lower of the two made the pitch that I can do both.

For the purpose of big law interviews, are two journals better than one?
no
This is kind of what I'm hoping the answer would be. Gives me no reason to make 2L even more hellish.

I added a clicky poll above. So more people could voice this same kind of two-to-three-letter wisdom.
Last edited by thelaststraw05 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:57 am

So, it is interesting to me that it was so lopsided. Nobody thinks a firm would be at all intrigued by an ability to balance a heavier workload or the fact that your writing got you more than one invite to a journal?
Last edited by thelaststraw05 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Is two journals better than one?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:00 am

It might depend on the journals...which are you talking about? Or should I say, "is" you talking about?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:It might depend on the journals...which are you talking about? Or should I say, "is" you talking about?
Wow. I feel kinda dumb. I need to go back to sleep.

MJLR and MJEAL.

Why would it make a difference which journals they are?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:So, it is interesting to me that it was so lopsided. Nobody thinks a firm would be at all intrigued by an ability to balance a heavier workload or the fact that your writing got you more than one invite to a journal?
Most people who get on a journal could've gotten on a different one at their school. The key thing about a journal is the additional experience in writing (well, editing) you get, and the fact that you're willing to work beyond the classroom. Those are both yes/no-type situations; what matters is that you do them and one journal is enough to obtain both.

Also, many schools have journals with limited space and don't take everyone who applies. If you're on one journal, you beat out some other guy; if you're on two, you're also displacing a second person who wanted to be on a journal, and for no real benefit. Don't be that asshole.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am

OP: Curious as to what MJEAL represents ( I know that the other is Michigan Journal of Law Reform).

P.S. Nevermind. I believe that it's Michigan Journal of Environmental & Administrative Law.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:33 am

OP: I, as everyone else , voted no. Nevertheless, if one of the journals is having difficulty attracting enough staff members and it covers an area of strong interest, then helping out is okay if you can handle the demands of two journals, classes & interviewing/job search assuming that you'll earn class credit for each journal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 am

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Curious as to what MJEAL represents ( I know that the other is Michigan Journal of Law Reform).

P.S. Nevermind. I believe that it's Michigan Journal of Environmental & Administrative Law.
Correct.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I now see that it was a clown question, but I thought it was worth asking since the MJEAL person who called to give me the news made it quite clear that I could do both.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:44 am

Delete

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:23 pm

In fairness, I did two. It was pretty bad at times. But it gave me two chances at e-board, two chances at publication (I ended up publishing 3 pieces) and it came up in every interview.

Thus, I don't regret doing it. But my situation was unique - one journal was in my practice area, the other was a unique journal that people asked about.

For you, I don't know that it's worth it. Ask around and see if 3Ls have done two.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:03 pm

OP: How old is the MJEAL ?

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:40 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: How old is the MJEAL ?
This will be volume 2.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”