3.6 at Penn (~ top 20%) - bid list critique

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3.6 at Penn (~ top 20%) - bid list critique

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote: CPP was not so helpful

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, looking at Cleary's grade chart, for example, it seems like their avg GPA would be around 3.75 (roughly half A, quarter A- and quarter B+), which is way above my GPA (like 3.63). And DPW is even higher. CPP was not so helpful

The grade chart is for people who got offers. Not necessarily who they hired. You also don't know what each person's grade is like. GPA is a mean and doesn't help much because the same 5 kids with straight As is probably screwing up distribution data at every firm even though they can only work in one firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, looking at Cleary's grade chart, for example, it seems like their avg GPA would be around 3.75 (roughly half A, quarter A- and quarter B+), which is way above my GPA (like 3.63). And DPW is even higher. CPP was not so helpful

The grade chart is for people who got offers. Not necessarily who they hired. You also don't know what each person's grade is like. GPA is a mean and doesn't help much because the same 5 kids with straight As is probably screwing up distribution data at every firm even though they can only work in one firm.

Think the GPA avg is also skewed for callback GPA averages? This is what I thought but what about the special kids (great interviewer etc) who are probably bringing down the GPA average?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Think the GPA avg is also skewed for callback GPA averages? This is what I thought but what about the special kids (great interviewer etc) who are probably bringing down the GPA average?

When I asked, CPP said the grade chart is for offers, not callbacks. Grades is not dispositive for hiring, but the less experience you have, the more weight they carry. I would just use grades for comparison purposes only. But also realize that self-selection is also at play. High GPA folks rank elite firms higher and low GPA folks rank less selective firms higher. You can't infer that the actual acceptable grade level is actually reflected in the grade distribution.

Return to “Legal Employment”