Clerkship Odds

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship Odds

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:06 am

Applying to district court and appellate court clerkships, wondering what my odds are in SDNY/EDNY/CDCA/NDCA. I assume 2d Cir/9th Cir. odds are slim-to-none, and I'm willing to bet my SDNY/EDNY/CDCA/NDCA odds are slim but I thought I'd ask anyway since TLS sometimes serves as a useful gauge...

Presumably relevant information: Hovering around top 1/4 at CCN, published Note in reputable non-LR journal ("whatever that means..."), research with a professor, lots of litigation "experience" (summer and externships at competitive government agencies), currently have an SA gig at a big NY firm.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship Odds

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:09 am

Your odds at obtaining any federal clerkship whatsoever are quite slim.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:13 am

State SC or flyover fed district court are possible with some luck. Metropolitan fed district court is rather unlikely, SDNY et al. are virtually impossible. Court of Appeals isn't happening unless you want to move to South Dakota and clerk for the 8th, or something similar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:35 am

While your chances at a district court clerkship anywhere are quite slim, I DO think you have a shot. Unlikely you'll get a 2013-14 clerkship via "the Plan," though. Your best bet is to gun 3L year and graduate in the top 15% or better. Apply off-plan, try to land killer recs + phone calls, and then I think you might land something great.

Also keep an eye out for recently-appointed judges who may be hiring off-cycle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:While your chances at a district court clerkship anywhere are quite slim, I DO think you have a shot. Unlikely you'll get a 2013-14 clerkship via "the Plan," though. Your best bet is to gun 3L year and graduate in the top 15% or better. Apply off-plan, try to land killer recs + phone calls, and then I think you might land something great.

Also keep an eye out for recently-appointed judges who may be hiring off-cycle.

Former clerk. I agree. Apply broadly, focus on less popular areas (e.g., M.D. Pa., E.D. Cal.), do whatever you Can to get faculty calls, and network aggressively. You have a nonzero shot this cycle and a reasonable shot next cycle, provided you hustle.

Return to “Legal Employment”