3.68 at a lower T14 -- IP background, where to bid in DC?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.68 at a lower T14 -- IP background, where to bid in DC?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:36 pm

I'm just outside the top 10% at my school and have a MS in Computer Science.

I'd probably place my career preferences as follows:

1) IP lit in DC
2) Any other Biglaw lit in DC
3) Any Gov't lit in DC
4) IP lit in NYC/other random large-city market

My big questions are:

1) Am I committing malpractice by only planning on bidding DC with my OCI bid list? Should I be placing a handful of bids into another market just for the sake of conservatism/ensuring I don't strike out?
2) How high should I be bidding? Firms like Covington and Wilmer are ranked very highly for IP and are probably just outside my grade range absent the IP background, does IP bump me above what I believe to be the grade cutoffs for the firms?
3) If I have a screener for a given firm at PLIP, and I'm really interested in that firm, should I be bidding the firm again at OCI to get two proverbial bites at the apple? Or is (and here I'm hoping last year's PLIP people read this thread) missing a callback at PLIP indicative of a likely failure at OCI? Obviously I won't know about how well (or not) PLIP went until my OCI bids are due.

Any suggestions/general advice is very welcome! Thanks a lot!

jstr00az

Re: 3.68 at a lower T14 -- IP background, where to bid in DC?

Postby jstr00az » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:49 pm

How is it malpractice? You can't even practice law yet. You should apply to everything that sounds reasonable. Don't limit options as the likelihood of you finding employment is lw as it is.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:53 pm

jstr00az wrote:How is it malpractice? You can't even practice law yet. You should apply to everything that sounds reasonable. Don't limit options as the likelihood of you finding employment is lw as it is.

Lolwut?

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:3) If I have a screener for a given firm at PLIP, and I'm really interested in that firm, should I be bidding the firm again at OCI to get two proverbial bites at the apple? Or is (and here I'm hoping last year's PLIP people read this thread) missing a callback at PLIP indicative of a likely failure at OCI? Obviously I won't know about how well (or not) PLIP went until my OCI bids are due.

Any suggestions/general advice is very welcome! Thanks a lot!

I would bid them twice. I have a friend at my summer firm who struck out at PLIP but got an offer from his school's OCI. It is possible.

Return to “Legal Employment”