No Offer - Consequences & Solution

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NotMyRealName09

Re: No Offer - Consequences & Solution

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:45 pm

The only person I'm aware of who my firm no-offered was universally described as either "weird" or "awkward."

You know, it depends on the firm, but at least for me, getting really drunk at a firm event isn't all that bad unless you (1) destroy something, (2) get into a fight/argument, or (3) sexually assualt a spouse or coworker. In fact - and maybe this is because I'm a MSU Spartan - if someone can get shitty and hold it reasonably together while having a kickass time, well, that's someone I can bullshit with day in and day out. And being an SA is just a summer-long interview. The question is - can I stomach this guy or gal, or do they annoy me?

Again, no touching, no arguing, no breaking, but otherwise, we'll all laugh about it tomorrow. We had a golf outing while I was a summer, and I was with two partners in a scamble, and the drink cart was all comp'd - I got pretty hammered in the nice sunshine on little bottles of jack daniels, I know I was slurring my words but held it together - no puking, falling down, maintained a sunny disposition. I get back to the dinning tent after the golf, my wife is there already (she came just for the dinner, got there before I got back), and lo and behold, she chose to sit with the recruiting partner and a bunch of other partners I'd rather not be drunk around. I had a raggedy plastic bag with one left-over beer I took from the golf cart, just like a hobo. I put it on the table and explained I'd hate for it to go to waste - and a corporate partner took it, popped it open, and drank it. No repercussions on that one.

And to the guy who botched an assignment that the other attorney had to spend all night fixing it - who gives an SA something so critical it will affect the final product? That's my philosophy - give substantive work, but nothing critical that, if shitty, it will affect my work product.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Depends on a lot of things. I was no offered, then did a clerkship, then took a job at another firm (which pays less than the firm I had summered at, but whatever). Receiving a no-offer isn't that big of a redflag anymore .... at least it hasn't been in the past few years given the state of the economy. If you're no-offered whereas 80%+ of the class IS offered... that's potentially a different story.

Basically, if you don't get an offer just proceed with your job search by targetting attractive employment opportunities. Pursue mid- and big-law job openings, apply to clerkships, etc. You'll land on your feet.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Vanwinkle - I have seen you have lots of insight in your posts....

What do you recommend, if somebody gets no-offer?

Everything, as long as it isn't illegal or unethical. There is no one "better" thing to do; at that point you need a job and one that will open doors down the road. Chase clerkships, do 3L OCI, mass-mail, apply for fellowships, just do it all.

However, getting no-offered is pretty difficult right now. No firm wants to be the next Latham in terms of reputation when recruiting; a lot of firms have dramatically shrunk their SA class sizes so that they don't need to no-offer anyone. Unless your firm is on the verge of failing, you're not doing your work assignments, or you mistook a partner's coffee mug for a urinal, you're in decent shape.

The best way to deal with being no-offered is to not get no-offered, so just work hard and avoid giving them specific reasons to reject you.

Eh, my firm (NLJ250) offered like 2 of 4 last year. I guess you're talking about V100s or firms with more than 500 lawyers.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:09 pm

los blancos wrote:Eh, my firm (NLJ250) offered like 2 of 4 last year. I guess you're talking about V100s or firms with more than 500 lawyers.

You're right, I was. Vault firms seem to worry about maintaining their Vault prestige ranking, below that I have no idea.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:41 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
los blancos wrote:Eh, my firm (NLJ250) offered like 2 of 4 last year. I guess you're talking about V100s or firms with more than 500 lawyers.

You're right, I was. Vault firms seem to worry about maintaining their Vault prestige ranking, below that I have no idea.

Even Vault firms have been doing this. Problem is that ATL isn't reporting it and people aren't outing the firms publicly.

Return to “Legal Employment”