Offer Back

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
newbie2

Offer Back

Postby newbie2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:23 pm

1L SA here. In general when and how does an SA find out if he/she has an offer back?

How: Do you have to ask for the offer back, or is the result conveyed to you automatically without asking?

When: Is it when one's internship just finishes, or when everyone's internship at the firm has finished, or at some other time?

Ludo!

Re: Offer Back

Postby Ludo! » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Your firm didn't go over this with you? I've never heard of a firm where you have to ask. Some wait until they have made decisions firm wide and then make offers all at once a couple weeks after the summer program is over. Some firms tell everyone on the last day (maybe even in a big roof top party with champagne)

newbie2

Postby newbie2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Your firm didn't go over this with you? I've never heard of a firm where you have to ask. Some wait until they have made decisions firm wide and then make offers all at once a couple weeks after the summer program is over. Some firms tell everyone on the last day (maybe even in a big roof top party with champagne)

Thanks! It's useful for me to know the general practice at other firms. Here there are 2-3 SAs but we all start and end on different dates and we work for different teams. I guess I should enquire with HR before going to the partner. :oops:

skw

Postby skw » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:46 pm

I am in the same position. My 1L SA ends in 2 weeks and they have been crickets on the protocol for 2L offers. I suppose I will ask during my exit interview. . .

OP -- you are not the only one.

newbie2

Postby newbie2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:09 pm

skw wrote:I am in the same position. My 1L SA ends in 2 weeks and they have been crickets on the protocol for 2L offers. I suppose I will ask during my exit interview. . .

OP -- you are not the only one.

I guess our firms are not that organized, or they don't think much about offering back to 1L...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:31 pm

At the V30 firm where I am a 1L SA the hiring committee meets once at the end of the summer to decide on all of us, no matter when we started or finished. They then call us that day or with in a business day or two after.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the V30 firm where I am a 1L SA the hiring committee meets once at the end of the summer to decide on all of us, no matter when we started or finished. They then call us that day or with in a business day or two after.

My firm also has a similar procedure. I have been told by returning 2Ls that you get a sense of how it will be on the last day, and the offer follow 1-3 weeks after the end of the program, just before OCI starts.

newbie2

Postby newbie2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At the V30 firm where I am a 1L SA the hiring committee meets once at the end of the summer to decide on all of us, no matter when we started or finished. They then call us that day or with in a business day or two after.

My firm also has a similar procedure. I have been told by returning 2Ls that you get a sense of how it will be on the last day, and the offer follow 1-3 weeks after the end of the program, just before OCI starts.

Thanks for all the feedback. So it looks like your firms are more organized and transparent with their processes. I hope my firm has the same process even though it doesn't seem as transparent. I'll check with HR.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:48 pm

newbie2 wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. So it looks like your firms are more organized and transparent with their processes. I hope my firm has the same process even though it doesn't seem as transparent. I'll check with HR.

Do you have returning 1Ls to ask from last year? If not, then it may not be a good sign

newbie2

Postby newbie2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
newbie2 wrote:

Do you have returning 1Ls to ask from last year? If not, then it may not be a good sign

You're right. In that case, it's a bad sign.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:56 pm

newbie2 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
newbie2 wrote:

You're right. In that case, it's a bad sign.

Can you find out who they were and reach out to them outside the firm? You may want to get their perspectives if they were no offered or if they chose not to come back.

Return to “Legal Employment”