Firm reception for rising 2Ls. Dress code?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Firm reception for rising 2Ls. Dress code?

Postby 071816 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:44 am

I've been to quite a few of these in LA this summer. Ninety percent of people have worn suits, including the attorneys, even though pretty much all LA firms are business casual. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a suit at events like these. But business casual or suit without a tie would probably be fine too.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:34 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Even at the Quinn reception, where the instructions said "casual" and there's this big image play surrounding Quinn being casual, almost everyone still wore business casual. Some NU tools even wore suits, but they were at least in the minority. So, lesson: overdressing for these things is usually a safe bet.

:lol:

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:17 am

emkay625 wrote:From a female perspective: it is okay to wear dresses to these things? I have several nice suits already but was thinking of getting a few dresses like this for firm receptions (but in darker colors):

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =905261002

Or should women just wear suits as well?

Totally appropriate (and I almost bought this for work - haha - nice!)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:23 am

nygrrrl wrote:
emkay625 wrote:From a female perspective: it is okay to wear dresses to these things? I have several nice suits already but was thinking of getting a few dresses like this for firm receptions (but in darker colors):

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =905261002

Or should women just wear suits as well?

Totally appropriate (and I almost bought this for work - haha - nice!)

Agreed. That style of dress is huge right now in BigLaw (at least in NYC).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:00 am

I was just thinking about this, and came across this thread.

I think if receptions are after a day of OCI interviews, wear your suit and play it by ear. You'll have the excuse of having come from interviews, and you can take the jacket off if others are more business casual.

I have a reception on Sunday night that specifically says business casual. It's at a bar that is suited for business casual. I plan on wearing business casual. It's a Sunday. No one is coming from the office, and I doubt many employees will dress up in a suit on their day off.

I'm not off basis, right?

Return to “Legal Employment”