Firm reception for rising 2Ls. Dress code? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Firm reception for rising 2Ls. Dress code?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:54 pm

went to a reception today. Said business casual in the e-mail. Evry male except 2 or 3 out of about 30 wore a suit

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:went to a reception today. Said business casual in the e-mail. Evry male except 2 or 3 out of about 30 wore a suit
With the exception of the more conservative firms, I'd imagine standing out for being one of the few following directions would be a positive.

The firm specifically asks for a certain kind of dress code, indicative of the atmosphere they want, and future candidates take it upon themselves to change it themselves for an attempt to outgun the competition ...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:04 pm

Even at the Quinn reception, where the instructions said "casual" and there's this big image play surrounding Quinn being casual, almost everyone still wore business casual. Some NU tools even wore suits, but they were at least in the minority. So, lesson: overdressing for these things is usually a safe bet.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:06 pm

$100 says nobody but the 2Ls gives a shit about any of this.

These receptions are primarily to sell you guys on the firm.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Even at the Quinn reception, where the instructions said "casual" and there's this big image play surrounding Quinn being casual, almost everyone still wore business casual. Some NU tools even wore suits, but they were at least in the minority. So, lesson: overdressing for these things is usually a safe bet.
It's not any safer than wearing what's instructed. Then why do it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:08 pm

tedalbany wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:went to a reception today. Said business casual in the e-mail. Evry male except 2 or 3 out of about 30 wore a suit
With the exception of the more conservative firms, I'd imagine standing out for being one of the few following directions would be a positive.

The firm specifically asks for a certain kind of dress code, indicative of the atmosphere they want, and future candidates take it upon themselves to change it themselves for an attempt to outgun the competition ...
hm. possibly.

Everyone who worked for the firm was wearing a suit also, except for a tiny percentage.

Just my observation, you could be righ, though

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:14 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:$100 says nobody but the 2Ls gives a shit about any of this.

These receptions are primarily to sell you guys on the firm.
+1. This debate is about as pointless as the thank you note debate.

Have good grades from a good school and don't be weird and you'll get a job. That's all that really matters.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Detrox wrote:Wear Biz Cazh, wear a suit. Guess what? No one is going to care. At least, no one who doesn't post on TLS will.
orly? I can 100% guarantee you that if the firm I work for explicitly said "wear biz casual" and you didn't, they'd raise an eyebrow. Dunno about autoding, but it would hurt.
My firm said this. Showed up in a suit. Got offer. Anecdotal, but seriously this shit doesnt matter.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 pm

I've been to several in NYC and have done both: I would guess that at all of them, 80% of the people were in suits... but then, it seemed like most of us were coming from work and didn't have a choice. I'm going to one tomorrow night and will just do a nice dress because I don't have to suit it up, tomorrow. Really, it doesn't matter. The only thing that will make you stand out badly is if you behave like a giant tool. (Also, yeah - these receptions are to sell you on the firm, not the other way round. I go to them because I think they're good practice for talking to the kinds of people who'll - hopefully! - be interviewing me and they give me a chance to practice my elevator speeches.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Detrox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Detrox wrote:Wear Biz Cazh, wear a suit. Guess what? No one is going to care. At least, no one who doesn't post on TLS will.
orly? I can 100% guarantee you that if the firm I work for explicitly said "wear biz casual" and you didn't, they'd raise an eyebrow. Dunno about autoding, but it would hurt.
My firm said this. Showed up in a suit. Got offer. Anecdotal, but seriously this shit doesnt matter.
Honestly, I went to a few of these and then interviewed at the firm later and I would be shocked -- SHOCKED -- if anyone remembered the fact that I showed up with 100 other rising 2Ls at some pre-OCI cocktail party and that factored into anyone's decision-making. As long as you wear something on the spectrum of normal, no one will remember you ten minutes after you leave.

(This is an admittedly NYC-centric observation.)

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:24 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Honestly, I went to a few of these and then interviewed at the firm later and I would be shocked -- SHOCKED -- if anyone remembered the fact that I showed up with 100 other rising 2Ls at some pre-OCI cocktail party and that factored into anyone's decision-making. As long as you wear something on the spectrum of normal, no one will remember you ten minutes after you leave.

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe our view on this is different b/c it's NYC: could well be totally different in other markets. (Agree with all you said w/r/t NYC, btw.)

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:28 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Honestly, I went to a few of these and then interviewed at the firm later and I would be shocked -- SHOCKED -- if anyone remembered the fact that I showed up with 100 other rising 2Ls at some pre-OCI cocktail party and that factored into anyone's decision-making. As long as you wear something on the spectrum of normal, no one will remember you ten minutes after you leave.

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe our view on this is different b/c it's NYC. (Agree with all you said, btw.)
Yeah, I think it may be different in NYC than it is here. I definitely wouldn't say these things are a pathway to a job, but I do know that for my secondary markets, the personal touch goes a long way. I had a lot of firms say, "Oh we met you at ____, right?" or "Good to see you again" (recruiter remembered me when I went up and said hi after some talk at our school). When there are <10 SAs to go around, things like fit and networking make a hell of a difference.

I think if you make a connection or two, it can help. I also would second what the poster above said about it helping give you fodder for interviews. Definitely helps there.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:29 pm

I think I got an offer partly by chain smoking cigs w someone on the hiring committee at an event. Also I was wearing a suit w/no tie. Had just come from OCI. People were at this thing in jeans and shorts.

HTH

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:34 pm

romothesavior wrote: Yeah, I think it may be different in NYC than it is here. I definitely wouldn't say these things are a pathway to a job, but I do know that for my secondary markets, the personal touch goes a long way. I had a lot of firms say, "Oh we met you at ____, right?" or "Good to see you again" (recruiter remembered me when I went up and said hi after some talk at our school). When there are <10 SAs to go around, things like fit and networking make a hell of a difference.

I think if you make a connection or two, it can help. I also would second what the poster above said about it helping give you fodder for interviews. Definitely helps there.
Yup. Here, there can be 200 people at one of these things and no one will remember you. That said, I think connections are always good and you never know. (I rather wish NYC were more like your market - I'm much better at that kind of networking/face time!)

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:I think I got an offer partly by chain smoking cigs w someone on the hiring committee at an event. Also I was wearing a suit w/no tie. Had just come from OCI. People were at this thing in jeans and shorts.

HTH
Love this. When I was still smoking, I made so many awesome connections/friends in those minutes spent standing outside, sharing a lighter. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 pm

My firm is having a reception tomorrow and we joked today about how we all wore suits last year and how we're glad we won't have to this year as SAs. But it's understood that the 2ls will all be wearing suits even though the firm dress code is business casual.

I guess it varies by firm and market (this is Chicago) but I think it's better to just wear a suit and then take off the jacket and tie if you're overdressed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:09 am

Yep, I'm summering at a Midwestern town. It's not small, but it's not LA or NY. Think Kansas City-, Omaha-type. The bar is definitely a lot smaller and you'll see the same people at different bar events, and they'll recognize you if you talked with them before. For example, I talked with a person at a bar event, and then later at another law firm event I saw her again. And it was a great way to start a conversation again and have that "warm" hello. So yes, it varies.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vegeta

New

Post by vegeta » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:My firm is having a reception tomorrow and we joked today about how we all wore suits last year and how we're glad we won't have to this year as SAs. But it's understood that the 2ls will all be wearing suits even though the firm dress code is business casual.

I guess it varies by firm and market (this is Chicago) but I think it's better to just wear a suit and then take off the jacket and tie if you're overdressed
Really? I would find that annoying. "Hey, our dress code is business casual, but you might want to not forget your tie and jacket . . . ." "Oh, your work hours are from 8-5 . . . but we'll notice of course if you leave right at 5." Unwritten rules are annoying. Especially when they contradict the written ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:23 am

vegeta wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My firm is having a reception tomorrow and we joked today about how we all wore suits last year and how we're glad we won't have to this year as SAs. But it's understood that the 2ls will all be wearing suits even though the firm dress code is business casual.

Really? I would find that annoying. "Hey, our dress code is business casual, but you might want to not forget your tie and jacket . . . ." "Oh, your work hours are from 8-5 . . . but we'll notice of course if you leave right at 5." Unwritten rules are annoying. Especially when they contradict the written ones.
This isn't a firm specific thing, this is just a general etiquette thing. I wore a suit on the first day of work even though I knew the dress code was business casual and so did everyone else. I went to a bunch of receptions last year in Chicago and suits were the norm at all of them. Again, may be a market thing but that was my experience.

vegeta

New

Post by vegeta » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
vegeta wrote:

This isn't a firm specific thing, this is just a general etiquette thing. I wore a suit on the first day of work even though I knew the dress code was business casual and so did everyone else. I went to a bunch of receptions last year in Chicago and suits were the norm at all of them. Again, may be a market thing but that was my experience.
I overdressed on my first day, too. But after that, I sort of dressed more casual.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:39 am

From a female perspective: it is okay to wear dresses to these things? I have several nice suits already but was thinking of getting a few dresses like this for firm receptions (but in darker colors):

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =905261002

Or should women just wear suits as well?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vegeta

New

Post by vegeta » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 am

emkay625 wrote:From a female perspective: it is okay to wear dresses to these things? I have several nice suits already but was thinking of getting a few dresses like this for firm receptions (but in darker colors):

Wish I could help; I'm a man. It looks fine to me, but I am fashion clueless. Pretty dress nonetheless.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:55 am

emkay625 wrote:From a female perspective: it is okay to wear dresses to these things? I have several nice suits already but was thinking of getting a few dresses like this for firm receptions (but in darker colors):

I'm obviously a guy, but this looks perfectly appropriate.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:23 am

Thanks guys. : )

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:39 am

I went to my first reception last week. A lot of people wore suits, but since I didn't have to wear a suit to work that day I wore a black pencil skirt, a cute blouse, and a bright colored cardigan. All of the lawyers from the firm were business casual, and more casual than business. I don't think what you wear is really a big deal, I didn't get the feeling that anyone would really remember any of us anyway. Then again, this is SF so I have the feeling it is a little more casual than other places.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”