Firm reception for rising 2Ls. Dress code?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm reception for rising 2Ls. Dress code?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:59 pm

They say it's business casual. Should I still wear a suit and tie just in case?

fatduck

Re: Firm reception for rising 2Ls. Dress code?

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:00 pm

i just met you, and this is crazy, but the dress code is business casual, wear business casual maybe?

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They say it's business casual. Should I still wear a suit and tie just in case?

They went out of their way to say it's business casual. If you show up in a suit they will think that you either can't follow directions or are a giant douche.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:02 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They say it's business casual. Should I still wear a suit and tie just in case?

you ... are a giant douche.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:14 pm

Can anyone say whether going to these things actually means anything?

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:14 pm

fatduck wrote:i just met you, and this is crazy, but the dress code is business casual, wear business casual maybe?

:lol:

But seriously wear a suit if you don't want to stick out. Even at events that are expressly biz cas, 95% of law students will show up in a suit.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:15 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
fatduck wrote:i just met you, and this is crazy, but the dress code is business casual, wear business casual maybe?

But seriously wear a suit if you have one. Even at events that are expressly biz cas, 95% of law students will show up in a suit.

Maybe 95% of douchebags will show up in a suit. Seriously, don't wear a suit.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Just wear a long sleeve shirt and slacks, keep a jacket and tie in the car just in case everyone else (including firm associates) is in suits.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:26 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

But seriously wear a suit if you have one. Even at events that are expressly biz cas, 95% of law students will show up in a suit.

Have you actually gone through OCI? I went to a dozen of these things and almost everyone was in business attire, regardless of what the invite says. There's usually one dude in khakis that sticks out.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:29 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

Have you actually gone through OCI? I went to a dozen of these things and almost everyone was in business attire, regardless of what the invite says. There's usually one dude in khakis that sticks out.

whoa, whoa. who said anything about khakis? dress shirt and slacks, no tie, no jacket.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Agree to disagree. Maybe our experiences were in different markets.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm

concurrent fork wrote:Agree to disagree. Maybe our experiences were in different markets.

I went to an ASW event in VA and everyone disregarded the instructions and went to everything in suits... maybe it's a VA thing? But just look at the associates. If they're in business casual and the invite says business casual, the ones in suits are going to be the gunner d-bags. If everyone is in suits including the associates, then you can probably just wear a suit.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 pm

concurrent fork wrote:Agree to disagree. Maybe our experiences were in different markets.

Fair enough. I don't think OP is going to get screwed whether he shows up in slacks/dress shirt or a suit. He'll look professional and employable either way. OP, just don't show up in Tims and a Lebron jersey.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Wear business casual. All the attorneys will be wearing business casual too.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:42 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

100% this. Every firm reception I went to last summer said business casual and every rising 2l wore a suit

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Don't wear a suit. Following simple instructions = TCR.

Also, to the person who asked if going to these things can help, the answer is yes. It's not going to get you a job, but they wouldn't have these things if they weren't judging the talent pool. Try to make 1-2 really positive impressions while you're there. Just don't lay it on too thick or come off like a d-bag. For example, don't wear a suit if it says biz cas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:Also, to the person who asked if going to these things can help, the answer is yes. It's not going to get you a job, but they wouldn't have these things if they weren't judging the talent pool. Try to make 1-2 really positive impressions while you're there. Just don't lay it on too thick or come off like a d-bag. For example, don't wear a suit if it says biz cas.

They're also useful for legitimizing the positive things you'll want to say if you interview with them for OCI. I went to a rising 2L reception at the firm I'm currently an SA at, and in all my interviews I would go back to "this SA told me how good the assignment program was for the summer" or "this partner told me how they staff deals in his practice group" or "this associate told me how she gets plenty of client contact" and so on. It sounded better than the interviews with other firms, at which I didn't have a similar experience, when all I could say was second hand info and generalities.

So, not essential, but can beneficial.

Pate

Postby Pate » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Did the invite say you could bring a guest? If not, what is the usual protocol?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

100% this. Every firm reception I went to last summer said business casual and every rising 2l wore a suit

Yes, that's when you standout, for being able to read and exercise proper discretion.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:Don't wear a suit. Following simple instructions = TCR.

Also, to the person who asked if going to these things can help, the answer is yes. It's not going to get you a job, but they wouldn't have these things if they weren't judging the talent pool. Try to make 1-2 really positive impressions while you're there. Just don't lay it on too thick or come off like a d-bag. For example, don't wear a suit if it says biz cas.

It's hard to make connections at receptions because they are designed to market the firm to everyone. It is much easier to get an interview/job by going to local bar association events open to law students.

vegeta

Postby vegeta » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 pm

fatduck wrote:whoa, whoa. who said anything about khakis? dress shirt and slacks, no tie, no jacket.

Really, no khakis?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 pm

vegeta wrote:
fatduck wrote:whoa, whoa. who said anything about khakis? dress shirt and slacks, no tie, no jacket.

Really, no khakis?

I wear khakis and a polo sport button down shirt to everything that's biz casual. I go on firm information interviews and partner lunches in khakis.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Wear Biz Cazh, wear a suit. Guess what? No one is going to care. At least, no one who doesn't post on TLS will.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Detrox wrote:Wear Biz Cazh, wear a suit. Guess what? No one is going to care. At least, no one who doesn't post on TLS will.

orly? I can 100% guarantee you that if the firm I work for explicitly said "wear biz casual" and you didn't, they'd raise an eyebrow. Dunno about autoding, but it would hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 pm

If you RSVP but don't show up, does it matter?

Return to “Legal Employment”