district court clerk taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

district court clerk taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Just started my clerkship earlier this year.

Anonymous User

Re: district court clerk taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just started my clerkship earlier this year.

1. What's your typical day like?

2. How steep was the learning curve?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:28 pm

How competitive was the hiring?
What were your grades?
What is the pay like?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:36 pm

What are the hours like? And what general category of a dct is it (e.g., SDNY/NDCal/EDNY/NDIl? Or somewhere less competitive).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:05 pm

How did you get it? Connection or mass mail?

Who were your recs from?

General location/level of competitiveness?

Grades/school?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Is your judge abiding by the plan this year?

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:53 pm

What kind of grades from a T10 does it take to be competitive? Do 1L grades matter more than 2L or 3L grades in your opinion?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:58 pm

you bored out of your mind or no?

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:58 pm

How many hours a week do you usually work?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just started my clerkship earlier this year.

1. What's your typical day like?

2. How steep was the learning curve?

1. Typical day, get in, check out the activity in our docket. Call deputy for scheduling confirmations for various hearings. Print out a hearing schedule so I can plan my breaks, lunch, etc. My judge usually likes to discuss motions corresponding to hearings day before the hearing, so I do that. Attend hearing, take notes, debrief with judge. When not in hearings, research and writing. Judge likes to attend judicial conferences, and I tend to tag along those - that involves some prep.

2. Learning curve was pretty steep. By week 3, I was good to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How competitive was the hiring?
What were your grades?
What is the pay like?

Hiring was nuts. I was told that there were 600+ applications for my position. But maybe that was for both spots. RIght now things are supposed to be super slow, yet we still get a dozen applications a week. We anticipate that to hike up to hundreds per day for OSCAR. Very lucky to get this job. The pay is public information. If I reveal my JSP level, I reveal stuff about myself, so I'd rather just refer you to that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are the hours like? And what general category of a dct is it (e.g., SDNY/NDCal/EDNY/NDIl? Or somewhere less competitive).

It is in the first category you refer to.

The hours are excellent. 45-50 hours a week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:How did you get it? Connection or mass mail?

Who were your recs from?

General location/level of competitiveness?

Grades/school?

The former clerk worked at the firm I worked at.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Is your judge abiding by the plan this year?

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:33 pm

TLSNYC wrote:What kind of grades from a T10 does it take to be competitive? Do 1L grades matter more than 2L or 3L grades in your opinion?

For this court, probably top 10% to be competitve. My judge rarely hires people who don't get profs to call. And if some star student applies for whom the prof didn't call, the judge usually asks us to ask the student to have the references call. And yes, its a district judge. We get so many top 10% applications that we don't even open the LORs/etc. if we don't see that on the top line of the resume.

Sounds cold, but that's the only practical way to wade through 1000s of documents of flattering words.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you bored out of your mind or no?

absolutely not. There has not been one day of my time here that I would describe as being "boring." Heck, not a five-minute stretch has gone by when I could categorize my feeling at the moment as "boring." Clerking in a district court is the most fun job I could ever have imagined.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:What kind of grades from a T10 does it take to be competitive? Do 1L grades matter more than 2L or 3L grades in your opinion?

For this court, probably top 10% to be competitve. My judge rarely hires people who don't get profs to call. And if some star student applies for whom the prof didn't call, the judge usually asks us to ask the student to have the references call. And yes, its a district judge. We get so many top 10% applications that we don't even open the LORs/etc. if we don't see that on the top line of the resume.

Sounds cold, but that's the only practical way to wade through 1000s of documents of flattering words.

What do you do for schools without class rank/real grades like Yale, Stanford, Chicago, Berkeley, etc.? I assume students from those schools won't have a line about class rank at the top of the resume. Do you just quickly glance at the transcript to see if it is ballpark competitive?

On a similar note, what are competitive #s of H's/book awards from Stanford?
What about Berkeley and Chicago? (asking for a couple friends/the rest of the board here, sorry)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What do you do for schools without class rank/real grades like Yale, Stanford, Chicago, Berkeley, etc.? I assume students from those schools won't have a line about class rank at the top of the resume. Do you just quickly glance at the transcript to see if it is ballpark competitive?

On a similar note, what are competitive #s of H's/book awards from Stanford?
What about Berkeley and Chicago? (asking for a couple friends/the rest of the board here, sorry)

We get enough applications from each of those schools in this District that it is no problem to compare transcripts between applications and see what the deal is. Seems like my Judge is very partial to Chicago and Stanford, though, for whatever that is worth. You tend to see this kind of school favoritism with some Judges.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Does your judge prefer alums over rising 3Ls?

Any chance you're willing to say which district your judge is on?

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Thoughts on applying to Off-Plan judges? Did you interview with any? Any impressions on whether Off-plan hiring criteria tend to be any different (e.g. personal connections matter more/less?; selectivity any higher/lower?; etc.)

Return to “Legal Employment”