same firm, different cities?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PennBull

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby PennBull » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:10 am

r6_philly wrote:I don't think it's the fact that you bid other offices that might hurt you as much as no good answer for why other offices would.

Can you rephrase this? Not following the last part there.

I can definitely see why interviewing two insular markets together (Boston/Dallas) or one mega insular market with NYC (Philly/NYC) is a really bad idea, but I just feel that a DC/NYC combo from Penn is basically like "I love your firm, I have exposure to both cities, I would enjoy being in both, and neither of your officies is worried I'm going to bolt for the other or are questioning my commitment/ties to the city".

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:12 am

PennBull wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I don't think it's the fact that you bid other offices that might hurt you as much as no good answer for why other offices would.

I can definitely see why interviewing two insular markets together (Boston/Dallas) or one mega insular market with NYC (Philly/NYC) is a really bad idea, but I just feel that a DC/NYC combo from Penn is basically like "I love your firm, I have exposure to both cities, I would enjoy being in both, and neither of your officies is worried I'm going to bolt for the other or are questioning my commitment/ties to the city".

DC may be a "national market," but ties/commitment to the area still help your chances significantly.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:38 am

HeavenWood wrote:
PennBull wrote:

DC may be a "national market," but ties/commitment to the area still help your chances significantly.

What is your opinion on how this affects my plan to bid both offices?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 am

PennBull wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
PennBull wrote:

What is your opinion on how this affects my plan to bid both offices?

I doubt the NYC office will care, but assuming you end up with both bids, the DC office could care a lot. While Penn definitely places its fair share into DC, it is first and foremost an NYC pipeline.

target

Postby target » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:43 pm

so is there a consensus that it's ok to bid on two cities of the same state (e.g. dallas/houston, SF/LA, St. Louis/KC)?

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:08 pm

HeavenWood wrote:What is your opinion on how this affects my plan to bid both offices?

I doubt the NYC office will care, but assuming you end up with both bids, the DC office could care a lot. While Penn definitely places its fair share into DC, it is first and foremost an NYC pipeline.[/quote]

Couldn't you just decline one of them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:18 pm

i have interviews with sheppard mullins' offices in costa mesa, LA, and del mar.

bad idea? they're all in the same general area (socal)...

Return to “Legal Employment”