same firm, different cities?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby englawyer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 am

would not do this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:31 am

For those of you who advise against bidding multiple offices of the same firm, would you say this holds even when the firm has indicated on Symplicity that they will allow interviews with multiple offices? I'm pretty much exclusively interested in Chicago and DC, and the top Chicago firms (Kirkland, Sidley, Mayer, Jenner) have really strong DC offices. All but Mayer allow interviews with multiple offices. Would bidding multiple offices for the other ones still be unadvisable?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who advise against bidding multiple offices of the same firm, would you say this holds even when the firm has indicated on Symplicity that they will allow interviews with multiple offices? I'm pretty much exclusively interested in Chicago and DC, and the top Chicago firms (Kirkland, Sidley, Mayer, Jenner) have really strong DC offices. All but Mayer allow interviews with multiple offices. Would bidding multiple offices for the other ones still be unadvisable?

They could be srs about that, or it could be a trap.

itsatrap.jpg

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:56 am

Thoughts on doing this with NYC and Philly? They're like 2 hours apart and I have ties to both.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby target » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08 am

does the general advice in this thread apply to us office and international office as well? I certainly want to start out in the us office, but would consider move overseas later. Would telling firms that I join them for the possibility of transferring to an overseas office be frown upon?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on doing this with NYC and Philly? They're like 2 hours apart and I have ties to both.

Probably a bad idea, given that Philly firms have historically been shafted by people using them as a stepping stone to NYC.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby piccolittle » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:14 am

What about mass mailing a different office pre-OCI? I'm planning on mass mailing the CA offices (even if they are coming to OCI) and bidding straight NY and some London at school. Bad idea? Partners I've asked have agreed with me, since it ultimately saves firms money on flying me out to CA if I'm going to be bidding on that office anyway. Thoughts?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby Lincoln » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:17 am

I had ties to both SF and NYC. For one firm I interviewed only for the SF office but was open about not being sure about preference, and because they liked me they got me a screener with the NYC office as well. Only got a CB (and eventually offer) with SF, but I doubt that was because I was interested in both cities.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:19 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on doing this with NYC and Philly? They're like 2 hours apart and I have ties to both.

Probably a bad idea, given that Philly firms have historically been shafted by people using them as a stepping stone to NYC.

Hmm. Even a bad idea if I say "Well Philly is my clear first choice because of XYZ reasons, but I am also interested in NY." ?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on doing this with NYC and Philly? They're like 2 hours apart and I have ties to both.

Probably a bad idea, given that Philly firms have historically been shafted by people using them as a stepping stone to NYC.

Hmm. Even a bad idea if I say "Well Philly is my clear first choice because of XYZ reasons, but I am also interested in NY." ?

They'll take that as Philly actually being your backup.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:58 pm

I mass mailed some firms in the region I'm interning in right now (and have strong ties to). I put in all of my cover letters that though that region is my first choice, I am also open to consideration for the NYC offices as I understand how small the SA classes are in my region. Half of the firms have scheduled interviews with me, none of which made any reference to my office preference, so we'll see what happens at the interviews. I'm hoping they won't think I've wasted their lunch moneys. :?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:05 pm

I bid on the same firm in three cities. If I get preselected for all of them, I plan to decline all but one. What is wrong with this? If they preselect me, they are interested in interviewing me, and by selecting all three, I have a better chance of getting an interview at at least one.

Is the advise on this thread applicable only to lottery bids?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm shocked that someone would decline an interview with another office. I have PLIP with a firm's Austin and Houston offices, and ITE there's no way I'm turning one of them down.

I am, however, interested in tips for showing true interest in both. I would really like to end up in Texas, but unfortunately have no ties whatsoever.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am, however, interested in tips for showing true interest in both. I would really like to end up in Texas, but unfortunately have no ties whatsoever.

Since none of us know anything about you, no one can answer this.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:50 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be doing it for Austin and Dallas, but that's b/c I do have ties to both and most of the Austin firms are just satellites of Dallas offices. I don't think it will be a problem, but we'll see. Don't really have a choice since all of the Austin firms are also in Dallas


I think you're fine as long as it's between/among Texas cities. Expressing interest in TX + NYC/other major market is almost always viewed negatively. When an interviewer asks "are you looking at other places?" they're looking for ways to ding you.


Idk the lawyers in Houston firms -- including people on recruiting committees -- I've talked to didn't say or seem to insinuate this at all. They want to know that you are genuinely interested in being there, not that it is the only place you could imagine yourself. Actually, TX + NYC makes a lot of sense if you are interested in corp / finance / projects or TX or TX + DC if you are interested in energy / energy regulatory. What might be viewed negatively and could hurt you is TX + NYC for litigation or something else where the decision seems based mostly on locations.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby englawyer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:05 pm

I interviewed with Firm X for SF through Loyola PLIP and got a callback. I then interviewed with Firm X through OCI for NY. I brought up the callback thinking it would be a positive, but the NY interviewers were pissed off and questioned me for not bidding Firm X NY in PLIP.

That is why I think this strat is a bad idea. Perhaps its ok if its all at the same job fair, or perhaps only certain firms would care. Who knows? But anyway, I would at least not bring up multiple interviews at the same firm unless asked.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby de5igual » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:25 am

AreJay711 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be doing it for Austin and Dallas, but that's b/c I do have ties to both and most of the Austin firms are just satellites of Dallas offices. I don't think it will be a problem, but we'll see. Don't really have a choice since all of the Austin firms are also in Dallas


I think you're fine as long as it's between/among Texas cities. Expressing interest in TX + NYC/other major market is almost always viewed negatively. When an interviewer asks "are you looking at other places?" they're looking for ways to ding you.


Idk the lawyers in Houston firms -- including people on recruiting committees -- I've talked to didn't say or seem to insinuate this at all. They want to know that you are genuinely interested in being there, not that it is the only place you could imagine yourself. Actually, TX + NYC makes a lot of sense if you are interested in corp / finance / projects or TX or TX + DC if you are interested in energy / energy regulatory. What might be viewed negatively and could hurt you is TX + NYC for litigation or something else where the decision seems based mostly on locations.


Idk dude...I've had talks with people on recruiting committees in unofficial settings (where we were drinking and shooting the shit), and they explicitly mentioned the "are you looking at other places" as a way to weed people out.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Idk dude...I've had talks with people on recruiting committees in unofficial settings (where we were drinking and shooting the shit), and they explicitly mentioned the "are you looking at other places" as a way to weed people out.


This might be more true than the people I talked to let on. there are only like 8 TX (headquartered) firms that come to Michigan and the rest just resume collect so their perspective as Michigan grads might be different than someone from a Texas school. It's obviously best not to give anyone on the recruiting committee doubts.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby PennBull » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:02 pm

I know this thread is a bit old, but I don't think my particular question has been answered.

I want to bid a firm in their NYC and DC offices--the two cities where ties mean the least (if at all). It seems like a lot of the problems in this thread come from the fact that a particular city doesn't see you as committed to the city/region.

I have zero ties to NYC, I am living in DC this summer (with otherwise zero ties), I am one of those stray cats that has no "home market" where I belong, and I go to Penn. I would be extremely happy working in either the DC or NY office. Am I running into problems here?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:15 pm

PennBull wrote:I have zero ties to NYC, I am living in DC this summer (with otherwise zero ties), I am one of those stray cats that has no "home market" where I belong, and I go to Penn. I would be extremely happy working in either the DC or NY office. Am I running into problems here?


This is a firm specific issue. But, also something that depends on whether you have the grades/resume to make the firm salivate sufficient to accommodate your interest in multiple cities.

Ropes for one is very flexible with splitting: BOS/NYC, CHI/SF, DC/BOS, SF/Silicon Valley, BOS/TOKYO - they'll let you do it all as long as you are a kick ass candidate.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby Perseus_I » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:08 am

If the OCI is preselect (or majority preselect), does it make sense to bid on multiple offices (i.e. Dallas, Houston, NYC) to increase the chances of getting at least one interview?

I mean one can always decline an interview if granted multiple interviews. But does it hurt that the candidate even applied to multiple offices?

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:12 am

I did this for two firms, one of which I'm summering at right now.

One didn't even ask if I bid on other offices, and still offered me a job. I'm pretty sure the offices knew each other very, very well. The other simply asked me to rank the offices I wanted and my callback was at my preferred location.

I honestly thought this wasn't such a big deal when I interviewed last year lol. Surprised by some of the responses.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby PennBull » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:14 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I did this for two firms, one of which I'm summering at right now.

One didn't even ask if I bid on other offices, and still offered me a job. I'm pretty sure the offices knew each other very, very well. The other simply asked me to rank the offices I wanted and my callback was at my preferred location.

I honestly thought this wasn't such a big deal when I interviewed last year lol. Surprised by some of the responses.


Did you interview with both offices, or just bid them?

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:17 am

PennBull wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I did this for two firms, one of which I'm summering at right now.

One didn't even ask if I bid on other offices, and still offered me a job. I'm pretty sure the offices knew each other very, very well. The other simply asked me to rank the offices I wanted and my callback was at my preferred location.

I honestly thought this wasn't such a big deal when I interviewed last year lol. Surprised by some of the responses.


Did you interview with both offices, or just bid them?


My firm = interviewed at both, different women. Called back and offered at one location but not the other.

Second firm = interviewed with one guy for both offices. Called back at my first choice, cancelled cb after offer at first firm.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:25 am

I also requested multiple offices. But the office I am working at requested me and I went with that. It all depends on the firm. Some offices may be protective of their office and staff, so you may raise a red flag by bidding multiple offices with some people. However, if it is a national name, no one would probably blame you to bid several offices just to ensure an interview/chance. I don't think it's the fact that you bid other offices that might hurt you as much as no good answer for why other offices would.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.