same firm, different cities?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

same firm, different cities?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 am

Is it acceptable/advisable to use bids on different offices for the same firm?

crit_racer

Re: same firm, different cities?

Postby crit_racer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:53 am

Interested in this as well. Some firms allow you to interview for multiple offices during the same interview. So you can just say "interested in LA and NY" or whatever. Others require separate interviews, but you can sitll interview for 2 offices. Does it look bad/unfocused to do this, though if you genuinely want to work in either of those 2 cities?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 am

Tagged.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:15 pm

I've heard mixed reviews about this. While I haven't attempted interviewing for two cities of the same firm, I know others that have (and were successful with getting callbacks from both cities, although not offers). I think it ultimately depends on which two cities and how ties-sensitive any of the cities are (and the strength of your ties to each city).

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:16 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Tagged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 pm

bump?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:16 pm

It could show commitment. It's natural to bid on more than one location because it increases your chances of landing an interview with a particular firm. If you have ties then great. But even if you don't, any bid you use with them is a bid not used on another firm. I think only the less selective (everyone's safety/backup) firms would have real issues if you bid on multiple offices.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 pm

I think this is not advisable unless the cities are close (Houston / Dallas, Orlando / Miami) and your reasons for wanting to be in both would overlap significantly. Otherwise I think it shows a lack of commitment to both places. You tell a much more convincing story if you can say "I'm only applying to X office because I really want to be in X City for Y Reason," than "Well I really like City X, but I also like City Y and City Z because I'm an easy-to-please guy who can't make decisions."

Exception: This is not true if you are an extremely desirable candidate, as in grade on to law review at a top school, interview perfectly, have interesting experience. You can pretty much say anything you want about location and still get hired. I knew a guy who had top grades, LR, a CPA with 3 years experience, and was a D1 athlete; he got offers everywhere and got offers from different offices of V10 firms in places he had no ties to. Of course, this probably doesn't apply to most people reading this thread.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Generally don't do it.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:50 pm

I plan on doing it for some firms. My plan is to only do it for firms mainly known for their NY offices but expanding offices in a secondary markets and firms with just two offices.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:51 pm

So to clarify: I am bidding NYC and FL. For the firms with offices in both areas, I bid on the FL offices because the bid success rate was better (easier to get an interview through the lottery). I was planning on also expressing interest in NYC if I got an interview through my FL bid. Is this alright to do? All of these firms will not conduct separate interviews for separate offices.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:55 pm

Jessuf wrote:So to clarify: I am bidding NYC and FL. For the firms with offices in both areas, I bid on the FL offices because the bid success rate was better (easier to get an interview through the lottery). I was planning on also expressing interest in NYC if I got an interview through my FL bid. Is this alright to do? All of these firms will not conduct separate interviews for separate offices.

I wouldn't do that. FL firms want commitment and you're not helping this perception of flight risk by transferring.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:11 pm

I think its probably less of an issue if one of the two cities is NYC. NYC offices don't care as much about ties and offices from secondary markets will understand that you are bidding an NYC office to make sure you get a job...Just spin it that you really want to work in X market, but you also want to work with X firm if you can't work in X market...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:15 pm

chasgoose wrote:I think its probably less of an issue if one of the two cities is NYC. NYC offices don't care as much about ties and offices from secondary markets will understand that you are bidding an NYC office to make sure you get a job...Just spin it that you really want to work in X market, but you also want to work with X firm if you can't work in X market...

In FL (which I know firsthand) they will absolutely care. They are not "understanding" and there are plenty of qualified people who are srs about FL. You will look like a flight risk. Enjoy not getting called back. I only have firsthand experience with a couple secondary markets, but from the people I know who targeted other secondaries, I don't know why it would be different.

The NYC firms will probably be wierded out, but how much, I don't know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:22 pm

I've received mixed messages on this from decent authorities. I don't think I am going to do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 pm

I'll be doing it for Austin and Dallas, but that's b/c I do have ties to both and most of the Austin firms are just satellites of Dallas offices. I don't think it will be a problem, but we'll see. Don't really have a choice since all of the Austin firms are also in Dallas

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:31 pm

I also think that it depends on the firm. A firm headquartered in NYC but with a Dallas office that has so much work that people are leaving then obviously that is fine. A firm headquartered in Dallas with a growing NYC office then it probably isn't going to work as well.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Jessuf wrote:So to clarify: I am bidding NYC and FL. For the firms with offices in both areas, I bid on the FL offices because the bid success rate was better (easier to get an interview through the lottery). I was planning on also expressing interest in NYC if I got an interview through my FL bid. Is this alright to do? All of these firms will not conduct separate interviews for separate offices.

I wouldn't do that. FL firms want commitment and you're not helping this perception of flight risk by transferring.

Even if these firms have headquarters in NYC and the same recruiter interviews for all cities?

If so, I will just ditch all FL bids.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be doing it for Austin and Dallas, but that's b/c I do have ties to both and most of the Austin firms are just satellites of Dallas offices. I don't think it will be a problem, but we'll see. Don't really have a choice since all of the Austin firms are also in Dallas

I think you're fine as long as it's between/among Texas cities. Expressing interest in TX + NYC/other major market is almost always viewed negatively. When an interviewer asks "are you looking at other places?" they're looking for ways to ding you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:34 am

Did it for LA/SF last year and it wasn't a problem at all.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:09 am

So it depends on the firm/market? Is it definitely a no for firms that explicitly state they don't do multiple interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:48 am

can't you just lie and say youre only interviewing for X market when really youre interviewing for X and Y markets? Doesn't seem like they would find out until you took on offer somewhere else, but at that point who cares?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:can't you just lie and say youre only interviewing for X market when really youre interviewing for X and Y markets? Doesn't seem like they would find out until you took on offer somewhere else, but at that point who cares?

If it's the same firm, there is a really good chance they'll find out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:can't you just lie and say youre only interviewing for X market when really youre interviewing for X and Y markets? Doesn't seem like they would find out until you took on offer somewhere else, but at that point who cares?

lol yea. But I mean in general. If an interviewer asks me where else I'm bidding (and I'm not bidding that same firm in another city) can't I just lie?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

lol yea. But I mean in general. If an interviewer asks me where else I'm bidding (and I'm not bidding that same firm in another city) can't I just lie?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the marginal benefit of successfully lying doesn't really compare to the cost of being caught? Firms talk. Don't be an idiot.

Return to “Legal Employment”