Columbia EIP 2012 Superthread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2012 Superthread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:56 am

i know this is probably very elementary, but how does mass mailing work? Should I not mass mail places that will be at EIP? If so, who am I mailing? secondary markets?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 am

how important are extracurriculars to biglaw? if you have median grades, but think you'd interview well and have some unique non-legal extracurriculars (newsworthy achievements). And do firms care about trends in grades, or is second semester improvement not really much of a plus

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:05 am

From what I have heard (and hope is true), once you are in the large murky middle, not Stone but not basement either, it is these other things that can make the difference. Probably also depends on how well you can explain and spin them into assets

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:how important are extracurriculars to biglaw? if you have median grades, but think you'd interview well and have some unique non-legal extracurriculars (newsworthy achievements). And do firms care about trends in grades, or is second semester improvement not really much of a plus

You two semesters, there is not much to build any kind of trend from.

Extracurriculars can be good interview fodder, but unless they are somethign truly amazing, they probably will not compensate for grades.

bazinga!

Bronze

Post by bazinga! » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:36 pm

anyone willing/wanting to wildly speculate as to how different this year's data will differ from last year? I feel like i'm playing the stock market or lottery trying to predict whether a low-bid firm will be a safer bet to put lower, or a gamble because that's what everyone is going to do. it's driving me a little crazy...blah!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:39 pm

bazinga! wrote:anyone willing/wanting to wildly speculate as to how different this year's data will differ from last year? I feel like i'm playing the stock market or lottery trying to predict whether a low-bid firm will be a safer bet to put lower, or a gamble because that's what everyone is going to do. it's driving me a little crazy...blah!
Honestly, if everyone bids based on the data from last year, it's less of a gamble. Low-bid firm ranked lower for everyone = no harm to you. I'm pretty much just doing that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Okay, super-rough bid list (aka I need helps eliminating firms). Interested in soft IP/corporate/media & tech. Extremely low Stone, brief but prestigious (for what that's worth) law-related work experience after UG, targeting NYC and London. Not bidding on London, though - hoping to pick those up in Add/Drop as they don't seem to fill up. Good idea/bad idea?

Linklaters
Proskauer Rose
Sheppard Mullin
Sidley
Vinson & Elkins
Baker & McKenzie
Kaye Scholer
Shearman
Kirkland (probably would take them for soft IP lit)
Schulte Roth
Allen & Overy
Greenberg Traurig
hogan lovells
Akin Gump
clifford chance
dla piper
Ropes
Jones Day
Gibson Dunn
Bingham McCutchen
Cahill Gordon
Hunton & Williams
Debevoise
Cadwalader
Chadbourne & Parke
Hughes Hubbard
Milbank
SNR Denton
Fried Frank
K&L Gates

Firms I'm also interested in but don't have room for (can I replace some on my list with these? Do I have no shot?):
Arent Fox
Pillsbury
Freshfields
MoFo
Cleary
Paul Weiss Corporate
Pryor Cashman
Davis & Gilbert

Any thoughts on eliminations/additions/replacements/chances appreciated!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Someone did some modeling on the new curve. He said Stone would go from 29%-->32-33% of the class. The short explanation for why is that the new curve was Spring semester only and the shift was mostly more B+s and fewer B-/Bs. The A range only got 2-4% larger.

In terms of the new curve's effect on EIP - who knows? Do ERs even know it's happening?

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, super-rough bid list (aka I need helps eliminating firms). Interested in soft IP/corporate/media & tech. Extremely low Stone, brief but prestigious (for what that's worth) law-related work experience after UG, targeting NYC and London. Not bidding on London, though - hoping to pick those up in Add/Drop as they don't seem to fill up. Good idea/bad idea?

Linklaters
Proskauer Rose
Sheppard Mullin
Sidley
Vinson & Elkins
Baker & McKenzie
Kaye Scholer
Shearman
Schulte Roth
Allen & Overy
Greenberg Traurig
Hogan Lovells
Akin Gump
Clifford Chance
DLA Piper
Ropes
Jones Day
Gibson Dunn
Bingham McCutchen
Cahill Gordon
Hunton & Williams
Debevoise
Cadwalader
Chadbourne & Parke
Hughes Hubbard
Milbank
SNR Denton
Fried Frank
K&L Gates

Firms I'm also interested in but don't have room for (can I replace some on my list with these? Do I have no shot?):
Arent Fox
Pillsbury
Freshfields
MoFo
Cleary
Paul Weiss Corporate
Pryor Cashman
Davis & Gilbert

I might bump up Paul Weiss corporate since they have a very good soft ip/corporate department. Replace a firm that has a tiny class with it. Low stone probably has a better shot at Paul Weiss than at a less selective firm with a smal summer class

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:17 pm

chasgoose wrote:I might bump up Paul Weiss corporate since they have a very good soft ip/corporate department. Replace a firm that has a tiny class with it. Low stone probably has a better shot at Paul Weiss than at a less selective firm with a smal summer class
(bid list poster above). Thanks! Any thoughts on whether it's worth putting Cleary on my list? I noticed they gave out a lot of offers last year but they seem very grade selective. What about MoFo? At the moment my list is made primarily of firms that have around a 0.5 bid to interview ratio - is this super risky?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:44 pm

chasgoose wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay, super-rough bid list (aka I need helps eliminating firms). Interested in soft IP/corporate/media & tech. Extremely low Stone, brief but prestigious (for what that's worth) law-related work experience after UG, targeting NYC and London. Not bidding on London, though - hoping to pick those up in Add/Drop as they don't seem to fill up. Good idea/bad idea?

Linklaters
Proskauer Rose
Sheppard Mullin
Sidley
Vinson & Elkins
Baker & McKenzie
Kaye Scholer
Shearman
Schulte Roth
Allen & Overy
Greenberg Traurig
Hogan Lovells
Akin Gump
Clifford Chance
DLA Piper
Ropes
Jones Day
Gibson Dunn
Bingham McCutchen
Cahill Gordon
Hunton & Williams
Debevoise
Cadwalader
Chadbourne & Parke
Hughes Hubbard
Milbank
SNR Denton
Fried Frank
K&L Gates

Arent Fox
Pillsbury
Freshfields
MoFo
Cleary
Paul Weiss Corporate
Pryor Cashman
Davis & Gilbert

I might bump up Paul Weiss corporate since they have a very good soft ip/corporate department. Replace a firm that has a tiny class with it. Low stone probably has a better shot at Paul Weiss than at a less selective firm with a smal summer class
Isn't the Paul Weiss corporate slot just for 3Ls? I thought 2Ls are supposed to just bid on Paul Weiss in general.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Isn't the Paul Weiss corporate slot just for 3Ls? I thought 2Ls are supposed to just bid on Paul Weiss in general.
It says 2L class in Symplicity... Nm, must have been a typo. It does say 3L in the sheet on the website. Okay, so I will bid PW generally. (See revised bid list in post below).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:55 am

Anon above with very low Stone, secondary journal, some work experience but mostly just... myself. Thoughts on the list below? This is about as final as it gets on my end, before changes made from your input.

Also, can anyone tell me if any of these firms do not pay market?

Linklaters
Proskauer Rose
Sheppard Mullin
Sidley Austin
Kaye Scholer
Shearman
Kirkland
Schulte Roth
Kramer Levin
Greenberg Traurig
hogan lovells
Akin Gump
Ropes & Gray
Latham & Watkins
Jones Day
Gibson Dunn
Cahill Gordon
Debevoise & Plimpton
Cadwalader
Chadbourne & Parke (I've heard a lot of bad things about their summer program - worth replacing?)
Milbank Tweed
Arnold & Porter
Fried Frank
Willkie Farr
Pillsbury Winthrop
Freshfields
MoFo
Cleary
Davis & Gilbert
Davis Polk

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:52 am

A bit above Stone. Primarily interested in Corporate work in either NY or the Bay Area. I don't really mind if this bidlist is a bit on the aggressive side as I have a secondary market SA offer to return that I would be happy to take. Would really appreciate it if anyone could point out any obvious swaps to make in terms of spots between firms/wasted bids that I'm not likely to get/obvious firms that should be on my bidlist but are not.

1. Kirkland & Ellis
2. Proskauer Rose
3. Shearman & Sterling
4. Sidley Austin
5. White & Case
6. Schulte Roth
7. Paul Hastings
8. Ropes & Gray
9. Gibson Dunn
10. Jones Day
11. Weil Gotshal
12. Debevoise
13. Skadden
14. Sullivan & Cromwell
15. Millbank Tweed
16. Fried Frank
17. Wilkie Farr
18. Morrison & Foerster (SF)
19. Cooley Godward (Palo Alto)
20. Paul Weiss
21. Cleary Gottlieb
22. Simpson Thacher
23. Davis Polk
24. Cravath
25. Freshfields
26. Orrick Herrington (SF)
27. Latham (SF)
28. Wilson Sonsini (Palo Alto)
29. Gunderson Dettmer (Menlo Park)
30. Kirkland & Ellis (SF)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:58 am

another bidlist, slightly below 3.3

1. kaye scholer
2. shearman
3. sidley
4. kirkland
5. proskauer
6. paul hastings
7. white&case
8. milbank
9. mayer brown
10. schlute
11. allen overy
12. clifford
13. ropes
14. latham
15. gibson
16. skadden
17. cadwalader
18. cahill
19. jones day
20. fried frank
21. dechert
22. akin
23. kl gates
24. chadbourne
25. cleary
26. wilkiefarr
27. katten
28. king&spaulding
29. simpson
30. dpw

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:A bit above Stone. Primarily interested in Corporate work in either NY or the Bay Area. I don't really mind if this bidlist is a bit on the aggressive side as I have a secondary market SA offer to return that I would be happy to take. Would really appreciate it if anyone could point out any obvious swaps to make in terms of spots between firms/wasted bids that I'm not likely to get/obvious firms that should be on my bidlist but are not.

1. Kirkland & Ellis
2. Proskauer Rose
3. Shearman & Sterling
4. Sidley Austin
5. White & Case
6. Schulte Roth
7. Paul Hastings
8. Ropes & Gray
9. Gibson Dunn
10. Jones Day
11. Weil Gotshal
12. Debevoise
13. Skadden
14. Sullivan & Cromwell
15. Millbank Tweed
16. Fried Frank
17. Wilkie Farr
18. Morrison & Foerster (SF)
19. Cooley Godward (Palo Alto)
20. Paul Weiss
21. Cleary Gottlieb
22. Simpson Thacher
23. Davis Polk
24. Cravath
25. Freshfields
26. Orrick Herrington (SF)
27. Latham (SF)
28. Wilson Sonsini (Palo Alto)
29. Gunderson Dettmer (Menlo Park)
30. Kirkland & Ellis (SF)
Be sure to tell the SF firms you're interviewing with that SF is your priority but you'd also take NY. SF is hard

bazinga!

Bronze

Post by bazinga! » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:09 pm

are people reading all the reviews on vault and simplicity? to what extent do you think these are credited? i just read one that said stroock & stroock was dismissive of women and minorities, but they seem legit in the women parters arena. weird.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CLSNerd2014

New

Post by CLSNerd2014 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:37 pm

are people reading all the reviews on vault and simplicity? to what extent do you think these are credited? i just read one that said stroock & stroock was dismissive of women and minorities, but they seem legit in the women parters arena. weird.
I'm sticking to Chambers Associate, personally. They just have a lot more information, and consolidate data from numerous sources. Then again, Chambers doesn't have every firm, so you have to get away from them at times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:32 pm

I like Chambers but sometimes it reads as marketing material. Especially some of the things about what kind of people they hire. It will say, "only the best grades," but then in our EIP info it says they give out like 13 or 14 offers to non-honors. It makes me question some of the other stuff too. But in general, more helpful that some other resources.

bazinga!

Bronze

Post by bazinga! » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I like Chambers but sometimes it reads as marketing material. Especially some of the things about what kind of people they hire. It will say, "only the best grades," but then in our EIP info it says they give out like 13 or 14 offers to non-honors. It makes me question some of the other stuff too. But in general, more helpful that some other resources.
and i find it suspicious that every firm is looking for a candidate that's simultaneously laid back and entrepreneurial. at least there's 2 of the proverbial 3 words to describe myself :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:26 am

hey guys, I've finally got my bid list. any last minute suggestions would be much appreciated! :D
Slightly above median with regional ties and secondary journal. No relevant WE. Using NYC as a back up, but ranking regional offices according to interest in the firm, i.e. if an interview is split among all offices including NYC i've bid it high, if there was very little interest in the past few years i bid it lower, if it had an independent interview just for that office i bid it quite low based on lack of interest. The rest are NYC:

1. Kaye Scholer
2. Shearman Sterling
3. [regional split with multiple offices]
4. Schulte
5. [regional split]
6. Akin Gump
7. Gibson Dunn
8. Chadbourne & Parke
9. Katten Muchin
10. [regional split little interest]
11. Milbank
12. Willkie
13. [regional split, few offices, little interest]
14. [regional split, few offices, little interest]
15. Bryan Cave
16. [regional split, few offices, little interest]
17. [regional independent office]
18. Arnold Porter
19. Dechert
20. [regional split]
21. [regional independent office]
22. Fried Frank
23. K&L Gates
24. Kelley Drye
25. Cleary
26. Curtis, Mallet-Prevost
27. DPW
28. STB
29. Fulbright
30. Carter, Ledyard

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Wondering also about the mass mailing situation. Are other people doing this? Can we mass mail to firms that are coming to EIP if we don't get an interview?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering also about the mass mailing situation. Are other people doing this? Can we mass mail to firms that are coming to EIP if we don't get an interview?
Yes and yes. I've been mass mailing secondary markets and fully intend to mail the firms I don't get my bids on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:26 pm

What days are Latham, Akin, and Fried Frank at EIP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What days are Latham, Akin, and Fried Frank at EIP?
14, 9, 13

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”