Lets Talk Seattle...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on waitlists for PC or K&L? If so, anyone hear back one way or the other?


I was on the waitlist as of two weeks ago. Got an offer pretty shortly after being on the waitlist. Waitlist is a good sign in my opinion because PC and K&L try to recruit from top schools not in WA, but they only pay $125k or $120k compared to $160k. Unless the person has a really strong reason to be in Seattle, they will probably take something outside.....good luck


Your rationale definitely makes sense. I hope it is correct and plays out as you said. The wait is painful, but I remain optimistic. Where did you accept?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on waitlists for PC or K&L? If so, anyone hear back one way or the other?


I was on the waitlist as of two weeks ago. Got an offer pretty shortly after being on the waitlist. Waitlist is a good sign in my opinion because PC and K&L try to recruit from top schools not in WA, but they only pay $125k or $120k compared to $160k. Unless the person has a really strong reason to be in Seattle, they will probably take something outside.....good luck


Your rationale definitely makes sense. I hope it is correct and plays out as you said. The wait is painful, but I remain optimistic. Where did you accept?


PC

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:37 am

Are you at UW?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you at UW?


YUPPp

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:29 am

So I started this thread and even though Seattle is a tough nut to crack I managed to land an SA for next summer.

Now I'm wondering what the breakdown is between UW, SU and T14.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I started this thread and even though Seattle is a tough nut to crack I managed to land an SA for next summer.

Now I'm wondering what the breakdown is between UW, SU and T14.


I cracked that nut as well, not being a member of any of those categories. Accepted offer today, excited to be back in Seattle next summer!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I started this thread and even though Seattle is a tough nut to crack I managed to land an SA for next summer.

Now I'm wondering what the breakdown is between UW, SU and T14.


I cracked that nut as well, not being a member of any of those categories. Accepted offer today, excited to be back in Seattle next summer!


Third nut cracker reporting in. Seattle is TOUGH. I know PC takes 1-2 from SU and UW, K&L takes 1-2 from SU and UW, Fenwick takes 1-2, Cooley 1, not sure if DWT took anyone this year.....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Any word on SA offers from Foster Pepper or Dorsey's litigation department?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on SA offers from Foster Pepper or Dorsey's litigation department?


I finally received a ding from FP (snail-mail) after interviewing in August. Letter noted that their 2013 SA class is full.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on SA offers from Foster Pepper or Dorsey's litigation department?


Heard rumor of Dorsey lit offer being accepted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:42 pm

any info on 3L applications?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:31 am

Applied as a 3l to the market, crickets.

I know Cooley theoretically was at least entertained 3l applications for UW's OCIs...But I am pretty confident, based upon people they passed over, they did not interview any 3ls.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby 20160810 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Are those of you working there all from Seattle? I applied to a few firms there as a 2L and got nothing, assumed it was for lack of ties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 am

SBL wrote:Are those of you working there all from Seattle? I applied to a few firms there as a 2L and got nothing, assumed it was for lack of ties.


From here and school here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:Are those of you working there all from Seattle? I applied to a few firms there as a 2L and got nothing, assumed it was for lack of ties.


From here and school here.


Not from here, but a lot of family here. Undergrad in CA, law school here. Ties are key for Seattle.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby 20160810 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:Are those of you working there all from Seattle? I applied to a few firms there as a 2L and got nothing, assumed it was for lack of ties.


From here and school here.


Not from here, but a lot of family here. Undergrad in CA, law school here. Ties are key for Seattle.

Yeah I got zero interest, ended up working in SF my 2L summer and taking the CA bar. I would have been fine with moving to Seattle, it's a really cool town, but I don't think firms believed me on that one haha.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 am

Soo, anyone want to summarize their OCI experience in Seattle? Keep notes for next year...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Soo, anyone want to summarize their OCI experience in Seattle? Keep notes for next year...

Median at H. Used to work in the Seattle area but no other ties really. Only Seattle offices I screened with were PC and Susman. Accepted an offer at PC. Dinged w/o callback at Susman.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Soo, anyone want to summarize their OCI experience in Seattle? Keep notes for next year...

Median at H. Used to work in the Seattle area but no other ties really. Only Seattle offices I screened with were PC and Susman. Accepted an offer at PC. Dinged w/o callback at Susman.

How big is your summer class going to be?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Soo, anyone want to summarize their OCI experience in Seattle? Keep notes for next year...


Are you wondering about the process as a Seattle student (UW/SU) or non-Seattle student? (Just to help keep it relevant).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Soo, anyone want to summarize their OCI experience in Seattle? Keep notes for next year...

Median at H. Used to work in the Seattle area but no other ties really. Only Seattle offices I screened with were PC and Susman. Accepted an offer at PC. Dinged w/o callback at Susman.

How big is your summer class going to be?


I think the summer class will be around 8 (guess based on last year)

I also accepted an offer at PC...local school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Soo, anyone want to summarize their OCI experience in Seattle? Keep notes for next year...


Are you wondering about the process as a Seattle student (UW/SU) or non-Seattle student? (Just to help keep it relevant).


I am interesting in hearing BOTH perspectives. However, I am local.....sorry if that is too general. I just want to know what paths people take to get here because it is a hard market to reach.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:25 pm

-Grew up in PNW
-Went to undergrad in WA (Not Seattle)
-Worked in Seattle 2 years post grad
-Attend out of state TTT
-Massmailed all Seattle Biglaw
-1 screener > CB > Offer;
-Crickets from everyone else despite numerous "connections"

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby 20160810 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:-Grew up in PNW
-Went to undergrad in WA (Not Seattle)
-Worked in Seattle 2 years post grad
-Attend out of state TTT
-Massmailed all Seattle Biglaw
-1 screener > CB > Offer;
-Crickets from everyone else despite numerous "connections"

Congratulations though man, it only takes one. You must have done damn well at that TTT.

It's amazing what some people insist on for "ties." I lived in New Mexico for years and was flat out told by an attorney in ABQ that I would never get hired by a firm in that city because I went back to CA for law school. You'd think people would have a little pride in their cities and assume that someone applying for a job there wants to, ya know, move there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Was hoping to get this thread fired back up. If any of you who worked in Sea/Portland firms this past summer want to share your xp I would really appreciate it. Also hoping to share OCI xp for this cycle...I know SU and UW are just now getting started.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.