Lets Talk Seattle...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:57 pm

PC is taking FOREVER. Is this normal? Why not ding people.....UW, callback....still no word

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PC is taking FOREVER. Is this normal? Why not ding people.....UW, callback....still no word


Same person as above, do you think some of us are on a wait list? Like PC is waiting to see if the T14ers bit, and then offer UW people?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Has anyone heard back from Oles Morrison? Was one of my favorite screeners and haven't heard a peep. Thanks.


Got a callback yesterday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Any offers from Cozen yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Has anyone received a CB or a rejection from DWT? UW or T14?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is Dorsey's reputation in Seattle? It isn't really like the 160K techies because it doesn't pay 160K, and it does more than just tech or VC work. Vault ranked it #5 this year in the PNW, but I have no idea whether to place any stock in that assessment.


Bumping this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47 am

Dorsey is a very good firm. It is kind of a hybrid between a techie and a Seattle based firm. It is the largest satellite office in Seattle (aside from K&L Gates now) so it has a strong reputation but it also pays more on par with the local firms. It competes with the techies in VC and M&A but also does a lot of cross border work in Canada.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dorsey is a very good firm. It is kind of a hybrid between a techie and a Seattle based firm. It is the largest satellite office in Seattle (aside from K&L Gates now) so it has a strong reputation but it also pays more on par with the local firms. It competes with the techies in VC and M&A but also does a lot of cross border work in Canada.


That's helpful, thanks. One more question. How does Dorsey compare to the mid-size actors like Lane Powell and Foster Pepper both in reputation and type of work for non-VC or M&A work such as litigation? My intuition is that it is going to be more like a big law litigation department whereas the mid-size actors will have a slightly different feel and focus. I guess I'm just wondering if the mid-size actors that are based in Seattle are better for non-corporate work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a CB or a rejection from DWT? UW or T14?


CB & offer, 14

I hate to keep offers open and draw out the waitlist, but I am still waiting on another that I might take over DWT. Not sure till I get to ask the hard post-CB questions

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PC is taking FOREVER. Is this normal? Why not ding people.....UW, callback....still no word


Same person as above, do you think some of us are on a wait list? Like PC is waiting to see if the T14ers bit, and then offer UW people?


No ding, no CB. It's no fun. Perkins, you're killing us!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had a CB at Dorsey or Cooley Seattle?


Cooley seattle is only looking to hire 1 person (insider info). However, Cooley has called back students from UW for OTHER Cooley locations: Reston, San Diego..........I'd bet palo alto too, but no confirmation.

Dorsey dinged me harder than a rock about 2 weeks ago....and I knew people!



Can you elaborate on Cooley and how you heard they were only hiring one person? Does that mean they aren't calling back any UW peeps?


Cooley might be calling back more than one person, but I know they are only hiring one at the Seattle office.


At my Cooley callback, they flat out told me they are hiring two.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Any PC news for uw students (non-ip)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dorsey is a very good firm. It is kind of a hybrid between a techie and a Seattle based firm. It is the largest satellite office in Seattle (aside from K&L Gates now) so it has a strong reputation but it also pays more on par with the local firms. It competes with the techies in VC and M&A but also does a lot of cross border work in Canada.


That's helpful, thanks. One more question. How does Dorsey compare to the mid-size actors like Lane Powell and Foster Pepper both in reputation and type of work for non-VC or M&A work such as litigation? My intuition is that it is going to be more like a big law litigation department whereas the mid-size actors will have a slightly different feel and focus. I guess I'm just wondering if the mid-size actors that are based in Seattle are better for non-corporate work.


I think they are probably pretty similar, but the midsize like Lane Powell that have a stronger base in litigation might be better, and probably have more regional clients. I think that would really just come down to how you feel about the firm when you visit their offices, I don't think any of those three really have better reputations for litigation than the others.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:22 pm

FWIW, I am fairly certain the Ashbaugh offer(s?) is/are out.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a CB or a rejection from DWT? UW or T14?


CB & offer, 14

I hate to keep offers open and draw out the waitlist, but I am still waiting on another that I might take over DWT. Not sure till I get to ask the hard post-CB questions

Did they give you any indication of the number of offers out or timeline on other CBs and offers? These Seattle firms... I'm starting to think they may have a bit too much Pac NW chill.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I am fairly certain the Ashbaugh offer(s?) is/are out.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a CB or a rejection from DWT? UW or T14?


CB & offer, 14

I hate to keep offers open and draw out the waitlist, but I am still waiting on another that I might take over DWT. Not sure till I get to ask the hard post-CB questions

Did they give you any indication of the number of offers out or timeline on other CBs and offers? These Seattle firms... I'm starting to think they may have a bit too much Pac NW chill.


Nope, zero info. I'd love to be able to put an end to this process, I promise!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dorsey is a very good firm. It is kind of a hybrid between a techie and a Seattle based firm. It is the largest satellite office in Seattle (aside from K&L Gates now) so it has a strong reputation but it also pays more on par with the local firms. It competes with the techies in VC and M&A but also does a lot of cross border work in Canada.


That's helpful, thanks. One more question. How does Dorsey compare to the mid-size actors like Lane Powell and Foster Pepper both in reputation and type of work for non-VC or M&A work such as litigation? My intuition is that it is going to be more like a big law litigation department whereas the mid-size actors will have a slightly different feel and focus. I guess I'm just wondering if the mid-size actors that are based in Seattle are better for non-corporate work.


I think they are probably pretty similar, but the midsize like Lane Powell that have a stronger base in litigation might be better, and probably have more regional clients. I think that would really just come down to how you feel about the firm when you visit their offices, I don't think any of those three really have better reputations for litigation than the others.


FYI, if you ask around or look elsewhere on the forum, don't make too much of it if you read something kinda meh about the quality of life / associate experience in the Minneapolis office. I have heard from a junior assoc that in the Seattle office, assoc morale is much better than in Minneapolis. She really likes Dorsey Seattle, and it seems like her cohort is pretty happy there, but she's not a litigator, so I guess that's not super helpful.

Sorry I don't have any info on lit reputation / practice areas, but I thought I'd share the Minn caveat.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Any offers from WSGR Seattle?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have an offer from somewhere besides PC and willing to out the firm? Trying to determine whether I'm being ignored/have a rejection in the mail.


Secondhand info that someone got an offer from Riddell Williams. That and PC are the only offers I know of so far.

Where have you done CBs?


I don't want to out myself, but Fenwick is the reason I asked. They were my personal favorite and I'm anticipating a long period of self-loathing when the rejection comes. :(


What's your profile?

I know someone who got an offer at Fenwick. Did you get a CB from Fenwick? How long ago?


I heard Fenwick wasn't making offers yet. What is this person's profile?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any offers from WSGR Seattle?


Email ding just now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Any offers or post-CB dings from Garvey?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Turned down a CB with Foster Pepper today. I hope someone else gets a CB or an offer (if Foster was waiting to interview).

Any news from PC about offers from Seattle schools? HR keeps saying "under review" or committee.....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any offers from WSGR Seattle?


Email ding just now.


Bummer, how long ago was your cb?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:19 am

PC should be extending offers by the end of this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:07 am

Has anybody heard anything from Lane Powell? Any word from Foster?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything from Lane Powell? Any word from Foster?


Rejection from LP. East Coast T-14. Same question on Foster. Also, anyone have an offer from Dorsey?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.