Editing writing samples for continuity

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
j.wellington

Editing writing samples for continuity

Postby j.wellington » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm planning to use a law review note as a writing sample, and will obviously only be able to submit an excerpt. The portion I want to use is from the middle of the piece, and while the analysis is pretty self-contained, it references back at several points to cases cited or issues discusses earlier in the note, including a few "supras." I tried several ways of editing it so that the excerpt would read more like a standalone piece, but it just made it more awkward.

Is it necessary to edit for continuity on something like this, or will whoever reads it realize that it's an excerpt and that certain things will appear out of context?

lawschoolftw

Re: Editing writing samples for continuity

Postby lawschoolftw » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:53 pm

j.wellington wrote:I'm planning to use a law review note as a writing sample, and will obviously only be able to submit an excerpt. The portion I want to use is from the middle of the piece, and while the analysis is pretty self-contained, it references back at several points to cases cited or issues discusses earlier in the note, including a few "supras." I tried several ways of editing it so that the excerpt would read more like a standalone piece, but it just made it more awkward.

Is it necessary to edit for continuity on something like this, or will whoever reads it realize that it's an excerpt and that certain things will appear out of context?

why not just change the supra cites to full cites?

Return to “Legal Employment”