Bidding second market as backup

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stewie27

Bidding second market as backup

Postby stewie27 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm at Duke, roughly top third of the class. I really want DC but don't want to strike out completely so I plan to bid on some NY firms as a backup. In general, does anyone have advice for what kind of a split there should be between DC and NY bids. I was thinking 2/3 DC, but TLS has me paranoid that might be using too many bids on DC. Also, is it better to focus on just "safety" NY firms or split those up into target/safety/reach too?

DallasCowboy

Re: Bidding second market as backup

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:12 pm

just my opinion, but I think it would be pointless to bid a NYC reach high in that situation. Also, it's hard to say that any of the firms are a "safety" firm at top 3rd- you are going to make the usual grade cutoff or not, at which point the interview is what matters. Just make sure you interview at 5 firms you know you are well above cutoff for NYC and swing for the fences at DC, I'd say.

Do you have a home market that is not one of those 2?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Relevant to my interests, though splitting between Chicago and NY.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:16 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:just my opinion, but I think it would be pointless to bid a NYC reach high in that situation. Also, it's hard to say that any of the firms are a "safety" firm at top 3rd- you are going to make the usual grade cutoff or not, at which point the interview is what matters. Just make sure you interview at 5 firms you know you are well above cutoff for NYC and swing for the fences at DC, I'd say.

Do you have a home market that is not one of those 2?

Thanks for your input. I don't consider anything a home market. I didn't grow up near any cities or what one would think of as a market. I have more ties to DC than any other market. I'll probably bid mostly DC and then put a handful of NY firms that are less selective/bigger class sizes.

Return to “Legal Employment”