Cornell Updated Bid List - Bottom 3rd Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cornell Updated Bid List - Bottom 3rd

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:sorry didnt read through all the thread. but OP, how many screeners and CBs did you get? just the 1 CB from the firm in delaware?
26 screeners, 8 of which were from open sign up. But if I recall correctly, at least 10-12 were GPA flexible NYC firms. And yes... just the 1 CB from delaware. I know people with lower gpas than me with more callbacks. And I'm not an aspie, hideous, or overweight. I've even been told by my a previous employer that i have a "presence" about me that plays well with clients. Maybe not having a journal really hurt me...
lol you must have a great personality.
I'm not trying to be an asshole, and I personally think it's bs that employers care about looks or weight. But I've been told by 3Ls with jobs, 3Ls without jobs, and many people on TLS that looks and weight do matter in interviews. Interviewers are human and will be influenced by irrational factors. It's not politically correct or fair, but it's the reality and I'm just acknowledging it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:sorry didnt read through all the thread. but OP, how many screeners and CBs did you get? just the 1 CB from the firm in delaware?
26 screeners, 8 of which were from open sign up. But if I recall correctly, at least 10-12 were GPA flexible NYC firms. And yes... just the 1 CB from delaware. I know people with lower gpas than me with more callbacks. And I'm not an aspie, hideous, or overweight. I've even been told by my a previous employer that i have a "presence" about me that plays well with clients. Maybe not having a journal really hurt me...
lol you must have a great personality.
I'm not trying to be an asshole, and I personally think it's bs that employers care about looks or weight. But I've been told by 3Ls with jobs, 3Ls without jobs, and many people on TLS that looks and weight do matter in interviews. Interviewers are human and will be influenced by irrational factors. It's not politically correct or fair, but it's the reality and I'm just acknowledging it.
I think journal is what did it, honestly. From talking with people who did not get a job from AJF, the trend seems to be that people without journal have a harder time. Maybe at interviews you can address this head on. Be proactive and during the interview (like when they ask. "So you have any questions for me?"), ask them whether journal factors into their hiring decisions. Then say, "I didn't do journal for X reason, but I know that I can be an asset to your firm because I can do Y." If you don't address it, employers might not ask about it and they'll assume the worst. It's really important that you sell yourself. They way you do that is by maintaining control of the interview so that it highlights your best attributes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Honestly OP, I don't think it's the no journal. Did they ever ask during your interviews? It never came up during mine. I don't know who you are but I doubt you are as good an interviewer as you say...

Journal never came up in my interviewing and I had a much better gpa than you but I did about as bad as you (1-2 CBs).

But I've seen some people with median grades and secondary journals get multiple v15 cbs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly OP, I don't think it's the no journal. Did they ever ask during your interviews? It never came up during mine. I don't know who you are but I doubt you are as good an interviewer as you say...

Journal never came up in my interviewing and I had a much better gpa than you but I did about as bad as you (1-2 CBs).

But I've seen some people with median grades and secondary journals get multiple v15 cbs.
Did you have a journal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly OP, I don't think it's the no journal. Did they ever ask during your interviews? It never came up during mine. I don't know who you are but I doubt you are as good an interviewer as you say...

Did you have a journal?
nope

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you have a journal?
nope
Honestly, it's very likely that you only got 2 callbacks because you had no journal. All the upperclassmen I spoke with said that firms want to see that you have a journal and don't really care too much whether it's LR or a secondary journal. If you look on Symplicity, most firms explicitly state that they want journal. Also, all the upperclassment I know of who did not get a job out of AJF last year did not have journal. I was below median with a secondary journal and did fine at AJF.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you have a journal?
nope
Honestly, it's very likely that you only got 2 callbacks because you had no journal. All the upperclassmen I spoke with said that firms want to see that you have a journal and don't really care too much whether it's LR or a secondary journal. If you look on Symplicity, most firms explicitly state that they want journal. Also, all the upperclassment I know of who did not get a job out of AJF last year did not have journal. I was below median with a secondary journal and did fine at AJF.
So a top quarter gpa without a journal does worse than a below median with a secondary journal even though not a single interviewer asked about it? Na, I think interviewing skills matter more than grades. Also I know of an upperclassmen who has top quarter grades and a secondary journal without a job. Really, you are probably underselling how good you are at interviewing, either that or you have great WE or you are a URM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:48 pm

So... how is everyone doing? Are we all scrambling for OCI#1?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”