I want Nashville

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 am

Baker Donelson may have one of the largest class sizes in Nashville, but according to NALP, they made offers to only 16 out of 27 summer 2Ls last year. (That's firmwide - didn't see a breakdown by city.)

Doesn't that 40% no-offer rate give anyone pause?

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Baker Donelson may have one of the largest class sizes in Nashville, but according to NALP, they made offers to only 16 out of 27 summer 2Ls last year. (That's firmwide - didn't see a breakdown by city.)

Doesn't that 40% no-offer rate give anyone pause?

Hiring in the south seems really strange. They expect people to split summers and then give a lot of no offers. They also hire a lot of 1Ls and then invite them back making it hard to even get in as a 2l

Note ask the experienced southern people about this, I've gleaned these answers from the forums and nalp. I decided I wasn't moving to the south so I didn't pursue it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:19 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:
Stupe wrote:I've lived in West TN my entire life, my family and my fiancee's family lives here, so ultimately I would probably want to settle in the Memphis/Jackson/Nashville area (due to how antsy parents and in-laws get about their grandchildren). Right now I'm looking at full ride to Memphis, partial to UTK, and outside shot at Vandy. WUStl is also not out of the question. I have no biglaw ambitions but of course I'd like to make a decent living in Tennessee. Job security is ultimately the #1 factor. Clerkship/Gov't/Public Sector also interests me.

Appreciate your responses, btw.


I'd go to Memphis. You can never underestimate not having debt ITE. UTK won't get you anywhere except Knoxville.


This isn't true. UTK placed 10-12 summers this year in Memphis/Jackson.

Also, BM, how do you like Waller?


I like it. I turned down a V30 perm-offer to go there.



Why?

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby BunkMoreland » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:I've lived in West TN my entire life, my family and my fiancee's family lives here, so ultimately I would probably want to settle in the Memphis/Jackson/Nashville area (due to how antsy parents and in-laws get about their grandchildren). Right now I'm looking at full ride to Memphis, partial to UTK, and outside shot at Vandy. WUStl is also not out of the question. I have no biglaw ambitions but of course I'd like to make a decent living in Tennessee. Job security is ultimately the #1 factor. Clerkship/Gov't/Public Sector also interests me.

Appreciate your responses, btw.

I'd go to Memphis. You can never underestimate not having debt ITE. UTK won't get you anywhere except Knoxville.


This isn't true. UTK placed 10-12 summers this year in Memphis/Jackson.

Also, BM, how do you like Waller?


I like it. I turned down a V30 perm-offer to go there.


Why?


i hated new york city and hated the idea of billing 2500+ hrs a year. I always planned to move back to Nashville after my loans were paid off; this way I can still get by fine paying my loans, bill less, have a life, and actually live in a nice apartment. It was a no brainer for me really.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Baker Donelson may have one of the largest class sizes in Nashville, but according to NALP, they made offers to only 16 out of 27 summer 2Ls last year. (That's firmwide - didn't see a breakdown by city.)

Doesn't that 40% no-offer rate give anyone pause?


Heard they offered their entire Nashville summer class this year.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Baker Donelson may have one of the largest class sizes in Nashville, but according to NALP, they made offers to only 16 out of 27 summer 2Ls last year. (That's firmwide - didn't see a breakdown by city.)

Doesn't that 40% no-offer rate give anyone pause?


Heard they offered their entire Nashville summer class this year.

I think they offered most or all of their class last year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Baker Donelson may have one of the largest class sizes in Nashville, but according to NALP, they made offers to only 16 out of 27 summer 2Ls last year. (That's firmwide - didn't see a breakdown by city.)

Doesn't that 40% no-offer rate give anyone pause?


Heard they offered their entire Nashville summer class this year.


Also what I heard from a Baker SA friend

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Baker made 7/7 offers. aka every SA got an offer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Baker made 7/7 offers. aka every SA got an offer


That's great to hear. Just curious, do you know when these offers were made or if they have made offers for the other offices yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:44 pm

Anyone here participate in that Waller program schola2juris?

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby BunkMoreland » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here participate in that Waller program schola2juris?



me

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Baker made 7/7 offers. aka every SA got an offer


That's great to hear. Just curious, do you know when these offers were made or if they have made offers for the other offices yet?


Each office is different. Nashville and Memphis have extended offers from what I hear.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Baker made 7/7 offers. aka every SA got an offer


That's great to hear. Just curious, do you know when these offers were made or if they have made offers for the other offices yet?


Each office is different. Nashville and Memphis have extended offers from what I hear.


the 7/7 was for the Nashville office. I believe they were made within the week or two after the program ended. Some had offers the Friday they were done.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby sunynp » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Baker made 7/7 offers. aka every SA got an offer


That's great to hear. Just curious, do you know when these offers were made or if they have made offers for the other offices yet?


Each office is different. Nashville and Memphis have extended offers from what I hear.


the 7/7 was for the Nashville office. I believe they were made within the week or two after the program ended. Some had offers the Friday they were done.


Being from New York, the idea of competing for 7 spaces seems very intimidating. I can see why ties are very important, how else are they going to pick 7 people out of the total number of applicants? Good luck to the people applying there. I hope you all get what you want.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Anyone heard from Waller yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Waller yet?

Nope.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:16 pm

sure they got tons of apps. Its been what - 4 work days?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Well, Waller's website says in-house interviews are 7/23 to 8/10. Has anyone heard anything yet? Are people invited to in-house interviews going to get extremely short notice?

User avatar
UVA Cavalier
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:53 pm

I have a cousin in the Nashville legal scene and he says that morale at Waller has PLUMMETED recently. See: the recent implosion of Miller and Martin

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:45 pm

UVA Cavalier wrote:I have a cousin in the Nashville legal scene and he says that morale at Waller has PLUMMETED recently. See: the recent implosion of Miller and Martin

Why would the MM/Butler Snow shakeup decrease morale at Waller?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:I have a cousin in the Nashville legal scene and he says that morale at Waller has PLUMMETED recently. See: the recent implosion of Miller and Martin

Why would the MM/Butler Snow shakeup decrease morale at Waller?


Forgive my ignorance...but what happened at MM?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:I have a cousin in the Nashville legal scene and he says that morale at Waller has PLUMMETED recently. See: the recent implosion of Miller and Martin

Why would the MM/Butler Snow shakeup decrease morale at Waller?


Forgive my ignorance...but what happened at MM?

Large portion of MM Nash left to join Butler Snow.

User avatar
UVA Cavalier
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:I have a cousin in the Nashville legal scene and he says that morale at Waller has PLUMMETED recently. See: the recent implosion of Miller and Martin

Why would the MM/Butler Snow shakeup decrease morale at Waller?


Not too keyed into the Nashville legal scene, are we?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 pm

UVA Cavalier wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:I have a cousin in the Nashville legal scene and he says that morale at Waller has PLUMMETED recently. See: the recent implosion of Miller and Martin

Why would the MM/Butler Snow shakeup decrease morale at Waller?


Not too keyed into the Nashville legal scene, are we?

Not Waller specifically. Don't know as much about them bc they don't have a traditional summer program. How about you just enlighten us brahhh.

User avatar
UVA Cavalier
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:51 pm

rad lulz wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:I have a cousin in the Nashville legal scene and he says that morale at Waller has PLUMMETED recently. See: the recent implosion of Miller and Martin

Why would the MM/Butler Snow shakeup decrease morale at Waller?


Not too keyed into the Nashville legal scene, are we?

Not Waller specifically. Don't know as much about them bc they don't have a traditional summer program. How about you just enlighten us brahhh.


If you really don't know, then PM me bro




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.