I want Nashville

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby jeeptiger09 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:30 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Pretty much agree with this.

You forgot Baker Donelson, but they generally are grade sensitive.

BABC is almost all invites back. And their 1L SAs had awesome grades from Vandy at least.

Bass this year is I think 10-12, of which a couple are 1Ls i heard. So less than 16.

I think Walker Tipps just had 1 this summer

Sherrard wants DEM GRADES, and also invites back 1Ls

Neal and Harwell can't be more that 3, and they hired people with some solid grades

And who knows what the hell's gonna happen with Butler Snow. Miller Martin used to be good for like 2 or 3.

So my 30 estimate was low (didn't realized BABC had that many), but it's still not good. I don't think it's 70. I looked at my last year estimate and it was like 50-60 odd.

edit: just realized you did have Baker


Anon that you quoted -

Yeah, my cap of 70 was a very generous estimate as 1) I'm unsure about the smaller firms that look for 1-2 SAs max or don't even do OCI and 2) I overestimated BBS, which makes me feel just slightly better about getting the shaft when I thought I was in like flynn.

Good to hear about BABC - I think then that they were looking for no more than 4 SAs through OCI that weren't 1L invite backs - stupid low for a firm their size in Nash for the 2L market

I think you are right about Walker Tipps at 1 - max of 2 and very high grades

Sherrard has a OCI cutoff of T10%

Don't know anyone at Neal & Harwell but sounds right

I would think Butler Snow will be good for the 3-6 now that they gobbled up Miller (they're good with a couple at their other offices like Memphis)

Baker could even be somewhere from 9-12

So, on the low end, 40 to 45 wouldn't be shocking.

I think I had in the low 50s as my 2011 summer #s going through OCI.

FWIW I had great grades to place into Nashville, great interviewer, no journal, several callbacks, ties to the city - got shut out.

Yeah good to see we're on the same page. It's hard to get info about Nashville.

The only thing about Butler Snow was that they had like 2 people in the Franklin office. So they're still probably only about 40. Miller Martin had 58 before the split.

Also worth noting is that some people split 2 Nashville firms (like the Bass/Baker split I mentioned above)

Also you gotta have the personality for some of these firms. The people I know at Bass are generally fratty/southern, for example.


#s I have heard (but haven't confirmed all):

Bass: 15+ (maybe as high as 20--or that's what I heard from a reliable source in March)
BABC: 15 (strong majority 1L returning)
Baker: 9
Miller d/b/a Butler: 4 (not sure how many went to BS)
Leitner: 4
Adams & Reese: 2/3
Neal & Harwell: ?
FBT: ?
Sherrard: 2/3
Gideon: 1/2
Walker Tipps: 1+
Stites: 1
MG: 1/2
Dickinson Wright: 1
H3GM: 0

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Did some digging, confirmed Bass has 14 2Ls this summer in Nash.

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby lawhawk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:59 am

fact:

Bass = 14 2Ls, 2 1Ls through a diversity program

BABC = 14 2Ls (11/11 1Ls from the previous year got offers to return and all did, 3 new 2Ls); 11 1Ls

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Reaching out to attys is always credited here, but how exactly do you go about doing it w/out sounding like every other annoying, douchey law student? I never really know that to say in those "I'm a vandy student, you're an alum, I'm interested in Nashville, you work here, I'm interested in X law, can you tell me more about it" e-mails without them sounding forced/awkward.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reaching out to attys is always credited here, but how exactly do you go about doing it w/out sounding like every other annoying, douchey law student? I never really know that to say in those "I'm a vandy student, you're an alum, I'm interested in Nashville, you work here, I'm interested in X law, can you tell me more about it" e-mails without them sounding forced/awkward.

That's about what you do really.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:58 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Reaching out to attys is always credited here, but how exactly do you go about doing it w/out sounding like every other annoying, douchey law student? I never really know that to say in those "I'm a vandy student, you're an alum, I'm interested in Nashville, you work here, I'm interested in X law, can you tell me more about it" e-mails without them sounding forced/awkward.

That's about what you do really.


What if I know an atty or two at a firm (and they might be willing to pass my resume along), but what I'd really love to do is have them also get me in touch with some attys in the practice area I'm actually interested in. Is there an appropriate way to ask this?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Reaching out to attys is always credited here, but how exactly do you go about doing it w/out sounding like every other annoying, douchey law student? I never really know that to say in those "I'm a vandy student, you're an alum, I'm interested in Nashville, you work here, I'm interested in X law, can you tell me more about it" e-mails without them sounding forced/awkward.

That's about what you do really.


What if I know an atty or two at a firm (and they might be willing to pass my resume along), but what I'd really love to do is have them also get me in touch with some attys in the practice area I'm actually interested in. Is there an appropriate way to ask this?

Just ask them. It's not weird.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW I had great grades to place into Nashville, great interviewer, no journal, several callbacks, ties to the city - got shut out.
Oh hai me. From TN and went to UG at Vandy, which was enough to get a few CBs, but GL to anyone trying to get an offer there except people who are natives and top 10% at wherever. People know what they're talking about when they tell you to try to weasel your way into firms with large class sizes, and sadly none of the firms in Nashville qualify.

Edit: FWIW, don't think I could get anyone I emailed to talk to me except the recruiters, not even people w/ my UG/LS combo. Didn't email tooo many, but still. Not like I was a leper or had bottom 5% grades at Cooley or something. Don't lose heart if they won't respond, use it as motivation as you furiously mass mail markets that are actually hiring.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby BunkMoreland » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:43 pm

I'd recommend ranking them tip top. I made the mistake of ranking all the Nashville firms 8-15ish, and I got literally zero interviews (and obviously no callbacks) at OCI, despite having top 5% grades at Vandy and having been in Nashville since I was 3. My only suspicion was that maybe they thought I wouldn't be interested in Nashville with good grades (??)

Luckily, I got the Waller thing 3L year and that worked out so I'm here but it was alot of hassle/stress.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:48 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:I'd recommend ranking them tip top. I made the mistake of ranking all the Nashville firms 8-15ish, and I got literally zero interviews (and obviously no callbacks) at OCI, despite having top 5% grades at Vandy and having been in Nashville since I was 3. My only suspicion was that maybe they thought I wouldn't be interested in Nashville with good grades (??)

Luckily, I got the Waller thing 3L year and that worked out so I'm here but it was alot of hassle/stress.

Bidding Nash is a risk. You gotta bid em high, and it's easy to not get a job with any of them. The firms are hilariously overbid. I think 125 people out of like 175 OCI participants bid on Boult last yr.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby BunkMoreland » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:47 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:I'd recommend ranking them tip top. I made the mistake of ranking all the Nashville firms 8-15ish, and I got literally zero interviews (and obviously no callbacks) at OCI, despite having top 5% grades at Vandy and having been in Nashville since I was 3. My only suspicion was that maybe they thought I wouldn't be interested in Nashville with good grades (??)

Luckily, I got the Waller thing 3L year and that worked out so I'm here but it was alot of hassle/stress.

Bidding Nash is a risk. You gotta bid em high, and it's easy to not get a job with any of them. The firms are hilariously overbid. I think 125 people out of like 175 OCI participants bid on Boult last yr.


that's insane. of course, it's hard to imagine it being very hard to not just cut through 75% of that being obvious bullshitters. Some Northeast douche who went to a small elite private LAC isn't going to stand a chance in nashville.

How's ur 2nd firm btw?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:25 pm

Solid breh. Enjoyed week 1.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:I'd recommend ranking them tip top. I made the mistake of ranking all the Nashville firms 8-15ish, and I got literally zero interviews (and obviously no callbacks) at OCI, despite having top 5% grades at Vandy and having been in Nashville since I was 3. My only suspicion was that maybe they thought I wouldn't be interested in Nashville with good grades (??)

Luckily, I got the Waller thing 3L year and that worked out so I'm here but it was alot of hassle/stress.

Bidding Nash is a risk. You gotta bid em high, and it's easy to not get a job with any of them. The firms are hilariously overbid. I think 125 people out of like 175 OCI participants bid on Boult last yr.


So what would you say the baseline is for bidding them realistically? Top 10% and ties?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Ties seem to matter less for the firms w larger classes (Bass, Boult, Baker), as in just going to Vandy can be enough. Top 10% is neither necessary nor sufficient. Fit is a big deal. Those 3 firms generally seem to have a decent amt of fratty/southern/social/outgoing people. So be like that. Nashville firms are tough because there isn't really any real "safe zone" of grades and ties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:Ties seem to matter less for the firms w larger classes (Bass, Boult, Baker), as in just going to Vandy can be enough. Top 10% is neither necessary nor sufficient. Fit is a big deal. Those 3 firms generally seem to have a decent amt of fratty/southern/social/outgoing people. So be like that. Nashville firms are tough because there isn't really any real "safe zone" of grades and ties.


Is this all Nashville firms or are you talking only biglaw? ITT it seems biglaw in Nashville is difficult at best for Vandy grads, but what about midlaw in Nash for them?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Ties seem to matter less for the firms w larger classes (Bass, Boult, Baker), as in just going to Vandy can be enough. Top 10% is neither necessary nor sufficient. Fit is a big deal. Those 3 firms generally seem to have a decent amt of fratty/southern/social/outgoing people. So be like that. Nashville firms are tough because there isn't really any real "safe zone" of grades and ties.


Is this all Nashville firms or are you talking only biglaw? ITT it seems biglaw in Nashville is difficult at best for Vandy grads, but what about midlaw in Nash for them?

Almost as competitive. Midsize firms still want pretty high grades. It's not like firms like Neal and Harwell and H3GM are fighting over Vanderbilt scraps, to the extent they are doing any recruiting at all.

User avatar
Stupe
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:19 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Stupe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:16 pm

How much weight do Vandy students/grads have in the rest of Tennessee outside of Nashville? Is a Vandy student at median better off than a UTK student in the top 10%?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Stupe wrote:How much weight do Vandy students/grads have in the rest of Tennessee outside of Nashville? Is a Vandy student at median better off than a UTK student in the top 10%?

Got ties to relevant areas? Also depends what firms.

User avatar
Stupe
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:19 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Stupe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:55 pm

I've lived in West TN my entire life, my family and my fiancee's family lives here, so ultimately I would probably want to settle in the Memphis/Jackson/Nashville area (due to how antsy parents and in-laws get about their grandchildren). Right now I'm looking at full ride to Memphis, partial to UTK, and outside shot at Vandy. WUStl is also not out of the question. I have no biglaw ambitions but of course I'd like to make a decent living in Tennessee. Job security is ultimately the #1 factor. Clerkship/Gov't/Public Sector also interests me.

Appreciate your responses, btw.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby BunkMoreland » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:55 am

Stupe wrote:I've lived in West TN my entire life, my family and my fiancee's family lives here, so ultimately I would probably want to settle in the Memphis/Jackson/Nashville area (due to how antsy parents and in-laws get about their grandchildren). Right now I'm looking at full ride to Memphis, partial to UTK, and outside shot at Vandy. WUStl is also not out of the question. I have no biglaw ambitions but of course I'd like to make a decent living in Tennessee. Job security is ultimately the #1 factor. Clerkship/Gov't/Public Sector also interests me.

Appreciate your responses, btw.


I'd go to Memphis. You can never underestimate not having debt ITE. UTK won't get you anywhere except Knoxville.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:10 am

BunkMoreland wrote:
Stupe wrote:I've lived in West TN my entire life, my family and my fiancee's family lives here, so ultimately I would probably want to settle in the Memphis/Jackson/Nashville area (due to how antsy parents and in-laws get about their grandchildren). Right now I'm looking at full ride to Memphis, partial to UTK, and outside shot at Vandy. WUStl is also not out of the question. I have no biglaw ambitions but of course I'd like to make a decent living in Tennessee. Job security is ultimately the #1 factor. Clerkship/Gov't/Public Sector also interests me.

Appreciate your responses, btw.


I'd go to Memphis. You can never underestimate not having debt ITE. UTK won't get you anywhere except Knoxville.

I 'd retake and try to get Vandy with money

User avatar
Stupe
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:19 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Stupe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:08 am

BunkMoreland wrote:
Stupe wrote:I've lived in West TN my entire life, my family and my fiancee's family lives here, so ultimately I would probably want to settle in the Memphis/Jackson/Nashville area (due to how antsy parents and in-laws get about their grandchildren). Right now I'm looking at full ride to Memphis, partial to UTK, and outside shot at Vandy. WUStl is also not out of the question. I have no biglaw ambitions but of course I'd like to make a decent living in Tennessee. Job security is ultimately the #1 factor. Clerkship/Gov't/Public Sector also interests me.

Appreciate your responses, btw.


UTK won't get you anywhere except Knoxville.


That's disheartening.



rad lulz wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:
Stupe wrote:I've lived in West TN my entire life, my family and my fiancee's family lives here, so ultimately I would probably want to settle in the Memphis/Jackson/Nashville area (due to how antsy parents and in-laws get about their grandchildren). Right now I'm looking at full ride to Memphis, partial to UTK, and outside shot at Vandy. WUStl is also not out of the question. I have no biglaw ambitions but of course I'd like to make a decent living in Tennessee. Job security is ultimately the #1 factor. Clerkship/Gov't/Public Sector also interests me.

Appreciate your responses, btw.


I'd go to Memphis. You can never underestimate not having debt ITE. UTK won't get you anywhere except Knoxville.


I 'd retake and try to get Vandy with money



Yeah I've started picking up a "Vandy or bust" mentality since I joined the site. I've got a lowish GPA though, with a 3.5 what LSAT score am I looking at to get a scholarship? Dat 45k tuition.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:09 am

lawschoolnumbers.com bro

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I want Nashville

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:04 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:
Stupe wrote:I've lived in West TN my entire life, my family and my fiancee's family lives here, so ultimately I would probably want to settle in the Memphis/Jackson/Nashville area (due to how antsy parents and in-laws get about their grandchildren). Right now I'm looking at full ride to Memphis, partial to UTK, and outside shot at Vandy. WUStl is also not out of the question. I have no biglaw ambitions but of course I'd like to make a decent living in Tennessee. Job security is ultimately the #1 factor. Clerkship/Gov't/Public Sector also interests me.

Appreciate your responses, btw.


I'd go to Memphis. You can never underestimate not having debt ITE. UTK won't get you anywhere except Knoxville.


This isn't true. UTK placed 10-12 summers this year in Memphis/Jackson.

Also, BM, how do you like Waller?

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: I want Nashville

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:
Stupe wrote:I've lived in West TN my entire life, my family and my fiancee's family lives here, so ultimately I would probably want to settle in the Memphis/Jackson/Nashville area (due to how antsy parents and in-laws get about their grandchildren). Right now I'm looking at full ride to Memphis, partial to UTK, and outside shot at Vandy. WUStl is also not out of the question. I have no biglaw ambitions but of course I'd like to make a decent living in Tennessee. Job security is ultimately the #1 factor. Clerkship/Gov't/Public Sector also interests me.

Appreciate your responses, btw.


I'd go to Memphis. You can never underestimate not having debt ITE. UTK won't get you anywhere except Knoxville.


This isn't true. UTK placed 10-12 summers this year in Memphis/Jackson.

Also, BM, how do you like Waller?


I like it. I turned down a V30 perm-offer to go there.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.